View Full Version : First Keeper today!!!!

GBOUTDOORS
04-19-2002, 05:06 PM
Caught my first keeper for the year today 29" nice fat fish. Got him on a stillwater smackit lure blue green color at 3:00 from shore in Fairhaven. Hope to take the boat out Sat. and try the mouth of the bay. Yes Goose you know where I caught it;) There were two others there fly fishing and they were getting lots of small fish. Was told that the menhaden are in and M+D has some fresh frozen in the cooler. Isn"t life great:happy: :happy: :happy: get out this weekend and wet a line!!!

Scotch Bonnet
04-19-2002, 05:17 PM
Too bad you didn't catch him on the boat - you'd be in 1st place;)

redcrbbr
04-19-2002, 07:08 PM
way to go greg:D

Slipknot
04-19-2002, 07:47 PM
Outstanding Greg :)

If you kept it, you should have brought it to Mike at M&D's , maybe nobody has brought in a keeper yet. Ya can win some more tackle.

GBOUTDOORS
04-19-2002, 09:00 PM
Slip he told me about the first keeper thing at the shop and I asked him how far away he would take one from and he had told me Matt. and this fish came from Fairhaven so I did not take it in to him but he said later that I should have. Oh well next one. Maybe Sat. or Sun:D

JohnR
04-19-2002, 09:07 PM
Good work GB - I left a message for ya and will shoot you an e-mail...

Fish_Eye
04-20-2002, 07:49 AM
Hoo-haa! The scent of a keeper!

Good going!

Nicely done!

Have fun this weekend.

Mike

Got Stripers
04-20-2002, 05:53 PM
Cool, nice way to start the season. I'm still hoping to hook up with you and give some of those spots you described a shot. Let me know what's cooking. I'm laying low this weekend, getting all that crap out of the way that will just slow me down later in the season :).

bassmaster
04-20-2002, 09:53 PM
WAY TO GO BUBBA.........

Raven
04-21-2002, 07:32 AM
[B][COLOR=darkblue] I used to fish west island and walk out
on the sand bars to fish the flats in 71...i remember finding mud
spots with hundreds of baby cohogs in them like deposits of gold.
one night....ok....F-N mosquitos were biting my back and i didnt care...i was a man on a mission for there was this one crazy striper jumping around out their like a salmon going up stream.
I wasn't leaving until i caught that wacky striper(keeper!) and finally i did! :o) but then....it hit me....the striper fishermans weakness.
THINKIN: oo00OOO[ "just ONE more cast " ] and the line was around my rod tip so my brand new ,just bought, lucky, just caught me a striper, Rapala lure goes snap ! and sails out there.
I was pissed. I trudged back to shore and climbed outta my waders and gear and went swimming out after it.....its a scottish thing.....
and when i got to where i thought it was ....it had drifted a ways...so by the time i found it and i hooked it to my shirt i was tired and it was 9 pm getting real dark....so i started swimmin in.
Dayammm the shore seemed far away....so i was lookin to touch bottom as soon as i could from being out there huffin and puffin.
Well , wouldnt you Know it I stepped into a huge group of crabs and got bit on my akles twice real quick like....and then i was like
the best top water swimmer you ever saw....and actually crashed into the beach....MY wife was standing there shakin her head still holding the fish.
It was the BEST striper i ever caught and tasted better than i could ever have imagined.

GBOUTDOORS
04-21-2002, 07:52 AM
Raven you hit the spot on the nose. It is one of my favorite places to be at sun down catch a few fish and watch what has to be some of the best sun sets in the world. Hope you get to come back now and then to fish it. I know what you meen about the plug, I have taken the boat into some tight spots just to get back a lure that cost 4.00 to 5.00 dollars. It must be a pride thing:smash: My nephew and his new bride were out last fall he lost his plug in the rocks jumps overboard to get it then he could not get back into the boat. He did not have a ladder and she could not pull him back in so she had to take the boat into shore so he could get back in. All this for a favorite plug. His wife was not sure he would do the same for her if she had fallen overboard:laughs:

Raven
04-23-2002, 04:37 AM
well thats just it..... i wondered how access is now....and since i hadn't treked out there in ages i figured that was paradise lost.
lots of times ive returned to old haunts that really produced only to find big signs: private, no trespassing ,or fences and houses everywhere with bmw's in the driveways.:ss: ok so wheres the beach you can still drive on?

jeffsod
04-26-2002, 05:20 PM
FYI -Mike just got in a bunch of new stuff including some of those Smack it Poppers.

AnthonyN
04-27-2002, 02:21 AM
I wish 4 to 5 dollars most of my plugs cost me $7 to $16 bucks a pop! Where you guys shopping???? Stinks losing a plug but I am not gonna jump out of a bboat or into a dangerous situation to get one.... even a favorite. Most of my plugs are production models so all I have to do is shell out the cash and get another. I usually buy all my plugs in pairs so if I lose one I got a spare :)