View Full Version : new to striper

striper addict
04-23-2006, 02:37 PM
ive been fishing salt water and brakish water for 2 years, i seem to catch everything butt... caught 1 keeper out of sheer luck... any one have advice for a new and inexperianced angler...

ScottC
04-23-2006, 02:42 PM
How are you fishing? Do you have a boat? Lay out what you are using from rod and reel, lure or bait and what type of geography you have access to.

striper addict
04-23-2006, 02:59 PM
been fishing in thames alot mostly chunk bait or sandworm and a low budget wal mart shkspr rod with rhino spinning reel

striper addict
04-23-2006, 03:12 PM
no boat but will go where i must in search of big striper!!!!!!

Raven
04-23-2006, 03:21 PM
for the most part eh?

Raven
04-23-2006, 03:23 PM
welcome to striped- bass .com

tynan19
04-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Welcome aboard. Don't get discouraged as it will take a lot of time and effort to consistantly catch good fish. Your equipment will grow with your skill level. For now worry about finding fish. Look for structure such as rocks, grass beds, outflows, sand bars and current. If you really want to catch the bigger fish, you will need to put in the time. Big fish under the cover of darkness will come in closer to shore in shallower water. Use this to your advantage and fish during these hours. Use big eels, larger plugs and lures to attract the bigger fish. This is where the better gear comes in. A big key is to watch the successful fisherman and see how they go about it. Most of all put in your time. Good luck and if you have some specific questions don't hesitate to ask.

striper addict
04-24-2006, 10:47 AM
thanx for the encoragement... went to norwich harbor yesterday and caught a few holdover schoolies... avg. aprox 18" ..... got very rain soaked and got my fix ... used zoom arkansas shiner .. most fish up high in the water

Raven
04-24-2006, 10:53 AM
WELCOME to S-B

is that the zoom bait with the reflective foil on the inside or no?

you might wanna throw somethin much larger next time
that the schoolies would leave alone just to see if a cow was there below them...

striper addict
04-24-2006, 11:34 AM
thank you for your warm welcome ... this zoom bait is intended for largemouth bass... the color is like a grey/purple with an little irredesance ... the water here is not very salty, a place were a tributeary joins the thames river...

Raven
04-24-2006, 11:53 AM
i have so many plastic baits that i forget what's what...sometimes
but what i was refering to was the ones with the holographic foil inside

great bunch of guys here.... and you can ask how to shine shoes or fix boats, make traps, grow grass.....well i mean a lawn :rotf2:

baldwin
04-24-2006, 06:06 PM
1. Read: Secrets of Surf Fishing at Night
2. Join a club: www.connecticutsurfcasters.com
3. Talk to other fishermen who are successful where you fish
4. Keep visiting this website