View Full Version : Breaking the ice in Cotuit

Harrible
04-20-2002, 06:42 AM
Isn't the first striper of the year a gas? These were runts, to be sure, but fresh, bright, migratory fish, caught near the open beach here on the Cape.

I threw a 5 1/2' freshwater rod with a small Shimano reel in the SUV the other day.....feeling antsy this AM around 5, so with coffee in hand, I drove to Cotuit and tossed a small plastic shad at a local fishin' hole and was rewarded with 3 small bass in 15 min or so.

I always like to study the first guy caught, admiring it's health and vigor; sort of a mini-ritual welcoming both Stripers and the coming season.

Before long it will be big gear and bigger fish in the canal and down-Cape, but for today I am very satisfied.....what a great hobby.

H

JohnR
04-20-2002, 07:19 AM
Harri - it is very sweet. Sun peeking over the horizon, moderate pollen counts, cup of good java and a shiny microbass to launch a new year... "New Years" ain't relative to a mark on a calendar, it's when that first bright fish of they year tugs yer line...

Now in 1 month, that spot will be in the second week of the Invasion!

Harrible
04-20-2002, 08:52 AM
Ain't it the truth John......the invasion started while I was fishing!....some guy saw me with a bend in my rod, and he set up within a dozen feet, I kid you not.... I was alone, and then it began...

As if all the fish were circling in a 6 foot radius....yecchhhh!

_H

Albiemanmike
04-20-2002, 08:31 PM
Harrible,
I completely agree with you! Nothing like that first small fish of the year, I to do a quick inspection of the first fish of the new season, don't know why but have always done it. Kind of my way of paying my respects to my most favorite of the finny critters. I just love the spring time, the smells, the angle of the sun, the temps, and all the fisherman coming out of hibernation to start the new year. Love coming back in to the ramp with the boat and B.S.'n with the guy's at the ramp. Always see all the guy's I have not seen all winter and catch up with whats going on. I met Hesh2 at the Devon Ramp a coupe of weeks ago and he told me about the website over here. Looks real good and I hope to talk to all of you more often once the season really gets into full swing. Took a few fish this morning in the Housie, very slow though, my uncle was using worms on circle hooks and the stupid worms were bored. My buddy and I were flyrodding and both took half dozen or so. He hung 1 fish 33" 12 #'s, but that was it. Going to try agan tomorrow with another guy from the Net'. Will try and post a report for all tomorrow.

Tightlines,
Mike