View Full Version : Poison Ivy!!!

Rappin Mikey
04-26-2006, 07:49 AM
Friggin Spring. Yeah, I catch some river fish. I also always catch river poison Ivy every year. Got it in badweena my fingers on my right hand now. What is your PI remedy??? Every time I fish, I bust the blisters open, and now its spreading. It's tuff wiping your butt with your left hand when your a righty.:conf: :as:

cheferson
04-26-2006, 08:11 AM
jewelweed,its also ussally growing nearby the ivy. Smash the stalk and smear the sap on the rash

cheferson
04-26-2006, 08:13 AM

jim sylvester
04-26-2006, 08:17 AM
2 remedies my grandfather taought me that WORK WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gasoline... ya with the price at the pump right now, you won;t be sorry....Dampen a rag and wipe it on... just don't light a smoke.will dry up overnight

bleach 2/3 bleach,1/3 water will dry up..just not as quick as the gas

hope it helps

mekcotuit
04-26-2006, 08:20 AM
I use Calagel and Tecnu products - I keep Tecnu with my tackle. Check out this website - www.teclabsinc.com. The tecnu stuff is also good to wipe your gear down and wash clothes with as the oil from the ivy can stay on stuff for a long time. When I have it real bad, I go to my M.D. and get prednisone.........not fun.

Rappin Mikey
04-26-2006, 09:01 AM
thanks guys. Those are some I've never heard of.

The Dad Fisherman
04-26-2006, 09:01 AM
Go to the doctor....get some Prednisone....it will clear it right up. Amazing Stuff

Just an FYI Poison Ivy doesn't spread because you open the sores. It may be getting worse because you still have the oil all over the handle of your Rod/Reel and everytime you go fishing your getting re-exposed to it. Scrub it down REAL good with soap and water. That stuff can stay on there for months even if it gets rinsed with fresh water

Poison Ivy is evil stuff.....unlike other things where the more you're exposed the less of a reaction you have, with poison ivy the more you're exposed the worse you're reaction will be.

Raven
04-26-2006, 10:43 AM
when i first went to californai we had this big ole picnic
way up in pine valley....
and i met a whole bunch of relatives and their kids
so we were all having fun ..... ya know
and then it became time to play hide and seek...

so i hid right in poison OAK which is similar to
poison IVY ok except its a redish color instead.
looks like those poinsettias at christmas-time ...
all i had on was a pair of friggan shorts
so i caught poison IVY (oak) real real bad like on 85%
of my body and it was spreading fast. hospitalization????
there was no pregnazone in those days.

then i stumbled apon "brewer's yeast " a nutritional yeast
left over from making our favorite beverage....BEER!!
and i started taking it in ice cream milk shakes
wham bam thankyou mam...it turned that situation
around and within a week i was almost poison ivy free.
get it at you nearest health food store....
and any kid with acne - same deal - bye bye :wave:

so use anything ya want topically but give brewers yeast a try
......because it has all the B vitamins and works GREAT!

maddog2020
04-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Prednisone dose pack - clears up the MEANEST stuff in a few days. Not something you want to take on a regular basis.

Now imagine breathing in the smoke from poison ivy bushes. :(

Yrs ago my Dad took a nap in a pile of poison oak - eyes swelled up so bad he couldn't see ....... still took a while for it to clear up - couldn't work for a good week or so. After that I made it a point to learn what the stuff looks like.

Here is a piece of info: poison ivy is one of the first plants that will grow in a newly disturbed/cut down area. So that means when you see the sides of the highway cleared or the brush around your favorite swimming/fishing hole - user beware.

Co-workers hubby got it on his genitals when he was going to the bathroom (his wife STILL calls him itchy...... lol, she wouldn't let him near her for months afterwards?!).

Some people can eat the stuff and it doesn't bother them. I wish I could do that. I wish I could drink alcohol as well - another curse I was born with. :( (my mom and her dad are the only two who can drink).

Yeast is amazing stuff - lots of nutrients in it: IF you can get past the smell & taste....lol.

beamie
04-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Third vote for Prednisone, clears it up fast. I'm on it right now for the Ivy too.......it su*cks bad.

Raven
04-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Yeast is amazing stuff - lots of nutrients in it: IF you can get past the smell & taste....lol.

well personally i like the taste of it...and of course theres two kinds
the flakes that are like real thin and stir into milk easier than the powder and make that 1% milk taste like whole milk again.

the powder usually has a jacked up price i've found too.

the healing power of it is absolutely amazing.
it's my go to medicine (super food) for anything skin related.

Slingah
04-26-2006, 01:02 PM
I hate that stuff....paint thinner works too.....get the steroid (prednisone)
righty:jester:
I ve had it everywhere...seem to be immune now though

striperjerk1
04-26-2006, 02:49 PM
ive,d use lye soap. works for me.
i hate poison ivy. :sick:

missing link
04-26-2006, 05:24 PM
OK RM, listen to me all I have to do is look at that SH!T and I get it
Make a paste of EPSON SALT and water and apply with a cotton ball to affected aera, it gets all cakey and stuff the itch goes away and it will go away in a couple or three days your infected skin will get scaley and dry but it works for me. As a matter of fact I just got over a case of that . Cheap remedy kind of messy , you can go the prednazone(STERIOD) routine for the 5 day regime of med's .
Hey give it a shot screw the Doc all they want is the co-pay
go to CVS and get the EPSON salt
oh yea don't scratch your family jewells:faga:
THE MISSING LINK:shocked: :tooth:

bluzjamer
04-27-2006, 12:06 AM
They have some new stuff at the drug stores. Supposed to clear it up in 2 days now. Downside is its $39.
Years ago in school we told this kid who had it on his left hand that if he shot his load on it it would get rid of it real quick. couple of days later he still had it on his hand but he was scratchin his balls real bad.
We called him Lefty after that.

Striperhound
04-27-2006, 05:25 AM
Dont waste your time with the home remedy for this stuff. One year I spent 100 bucks on different herbal remedies, jewel weed and the sort. In the end a quick trip to the doctor and a perscription of prendisone kicked it in a couple days after weeks of misery. Now at the first hint of it I call the doctor for the prescription.

NIB
04-27-2006, 05:34 AM
P-Ivy is mean stuff.My brother gets it every yr.The visit to the doctor is the only cure.One time he was covered in it beggin me to drag him down the road from the back of the truck.I can eat it anif he just looks at it he gets it.I think u can contact it from breathing it in also.

Mr. Sandman
04-27-2006, 05:35 AM
If you have it real bad go to the doctor and get the shot containing the steroid. This will clear it up pronto. If you don't it can get out of control when all at PI juice starts oozing it spreads and then that starts to ooze. If you know you just touched it or had it rub against your leg use the over the counter stuff. I keep a bottle of tecnu my outdoor shower and a perscription tube of the steroid at the house and this keeps is in control. I seem to have it all the time.

A couple times I had it really bad. :exp: One time when I was younger I will NEVER forget. :realmad: Face and eyes so sollen they were completely shut, had all over my crotch and crack area to the point of puss oozing out of everywhere. I looked like a friggin lepper. I was in the hospital for a couple days. I was on some kind of steroid and taking baths with oatmeal (very soothing actually). I was a mess for a nearly a month. Nowadays I try to avoid it but it seems all summer I get it. Thank GOD not this bad. (the other time I was in the dunes with a girl on Fire Island and well....you can figure out the rest)

Get a tube of the steroid from the doc and keep it in your house or in your vehicle.

PI is got to be the work of the devil, :devil: who else would create such a nasty plant.

nightfighter
04-27-2006, 05:51 AM
Don't forget the sumac too. My dad and I were both prone to hospitalizations from that and PI. Worst one for me was UMass orientation, Colt45, and passed out relieving myself in a field of yo know what.... Never touched Colt45 again. Tuna can on tangerines, and my eyes shut tight. "I can't figure out how it happened, Mom..."

I almost killed a neighbor when he torched a pile of sumac...... upwind of my house to boot.:rocketem:

Bad memories to get me off to work. Thanks. Have a NICE DAY!

Raven
04-27-2006, 07:25 AM
you have no concept how much i hate poison ivy........

i believe in using both natural remedies and prescription drugs simutaneously...

which is why i mentioned brewer's yeast because it fights it from the inside out! instead of the way topical stuff like calamine lotion and then you make your'self into a pink bunny...:rotfl:

Another remedy i figured out too -- was when the water is warmer at the beach ...i would go in for a swim in the salt water...then lay on the beach til dry.....soon as i was dry ..i'd go for a quick swim and repeat that all day long...that makes it dry up .

using the salt of the sea as a drying agent. works good too.

the beach lot we owned (where i grew up ) was like the thickest meanest hardiest poison ivy i ever saw and it took over four feet of fill to smother that stuff...

i walk now with my double bladed axe sharped ....and go out cutting massive 3 and 4 inch hairy poison ivy vines on big trees...that are 20 years old easy, when i find them nasty things...
being careful to not get any residew on me or my clothing.

those big vines make little tiny blue berries that certain birds eat and S h I T somewhere else makin more poison ivy...so i kill those massive roots
the MOTHERS of poison IVY just like it was an ALIEN beast attacking our friggan planet. I take no prisoners.

another other method is to take
a pump up gardening sprayer and slam in four times the normally reccomended amount of "ROUND UP" and go spray those patches with
it when your about to have four hot sunny days in a row. DIE>:claps:
it works systemically

Raven
04-27-2006, 07:32 AM
that i think there should be a seperate branch of the military eradicating it by what ever means possible on the entire planet!

ooohhhh i hate that stuff.....smother it ,chop it.spray it KILL IT:realmad:

ok i feel better now :jester:

bloocrab
04-28-2006, 12:58 AM
Weird thing, the body is...
Some people get it, some don't
Some people go thru most of their life never getting it
Then suddenly it happens...then happens again, and again,

Mikey, don't be surprised if the steroid doesn't work as fast as they say it does. It still took over a week after a trip to the doctor's office for the shot. I think different remedies work for different people;;;

Do what I do/did...........SCRATCH THE f#$#@#@ OUT OF IT TILL IT BLEEDS.......FEELS SOOOOOOOOO GOOOOD, SCARS SOOOOOOOO BAD!!...:hf1: ....it's a NO win situation.
Good Lucky

PI guy
05-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Run some water( as hot as you can stand it) over it. This will take the itch away, temporarily of course, but for some instant relief it's not bad.

rivsie11
05-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Yrs ago my Dad took a nap in a pile of poison oak - eyes swelled up so bad he couldn't see ....... still took a while for it to clear up - couldn't work for a good week or so. After that I made it a point to learn what the stuff looks like.

Here is a piece of info: poison ivy is one of the first plants that will grow in a newly disturbed/cut down area. So that means when you see the sides of the highway cleared or the brush around your favorite swimming/fishing hole - user beware.

I had the same thing happen when I was a kid. I missed a week of school after waking up with my eyes swelled shut. I think they gave me some type of steriod to clear it up.

What is strange is that I have never really had it since even though i worked at a golf course for a few years was always getting re-exposed to it.

crash
05-03-2006, 07:56 AM
I used to get it every year when I was a kid, couldn't use my hands, breath, the works. Then one year it stopped, I've been without it for 7 or 8 years:D :D :D

riarcher
05-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Saltwater! Works, and works fast.
Knowing it's a bit cool for swimming,, but a 1/2 day of quahoging or clamming should do it.
Amazing what SW can do to poison ivory, cuts, abrasions, infections etc.

sok
05-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Thanks guys.
Really appreciate this.
Read this thread and I was so inspired I promptly went out and found the ONE SIX INCH TALL POISON IVY SPROUT IN MY YARD!!!!!!!!!!
:realmad:

I'm thinking paint scraper OR mini grinder with the wire wheel.

On the plus side everyone I work with stays away from me.
The downside is I stick to the desk after a few minutes.

Raven
05-09-2006, 06:20 PM
i had caught it too ...dunno where from? maybe from petting the dog..

who knows...just a little of it between my fingers...

so finally i made myself a couple of brewers yeast shakes
with vanilla ice cream... 1 one day..... two, the next,,

now poison IVY is all gone ...like magic.

i practice what i preach...

Swimmer
05-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Had five cords log length delivered a week ago. I saw poison oak on one of the elm trees, so I pulled that off, great. But tree guy never told me that what he delivered was growing in the middle of a bunch of poison ivy. His crew tore it off of the trees then cut the trees down. The oil was still all over the oak, maple, and some of the elm bark, and now my forearms. I knew I should have had a long sleeve sweatshirt on.:wid:

Raven
05-10-2006, 12:44 PM
now ....we all might be good at not scratching poison IVY
in our waking ours....but when alseep you will scratch it anywhere its exposed...and then ,again unconsiousley ...while asleep ...rub your eyes or other vitally important areas and spread it to there as well.

so i reccommend that you wrap yourself with gauze or wear a long sleave shirt to bed or your gonna spread it ......->everywhere.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
luckilly its not as itchy as a fire ant sting.....i woke up one morning and i had scratched my arm til it was a bloody mess in my sleep and never remembered even doing it...

sok
05-10-2006, 06:14 PM
I'm digging out all the long sleeve shirts I can find.
1.) It's friggin cold again.
2.) NOT in the pile from this past Sat.(what does get it off clothes? I'm hesitant to touch the laundry.)
luckilly its not as itchy as a fire ant sting.....i woke up one morning and i had scratched my arm til it was a bloody mess in my sleep and never remembered even doing it...

Worst I had was a spider bite.
Never saw it. Tiny web on the mirror mount of my truck one morning. The first day it itched. I thought it was a mosquito bite.
The day after that I woke up with one forearm 4 times the size of the other. Numb for two weeks.
I still have mystery lumps and scars seven years later.
Still don't know what it was.

Raven
05-10-2006, 06:57 PM
of poison ivy oil removal was using a really strong "oil breaking down laundry soap"....the bar was tan...(stil available) smelly like pine sol is... and its good for washing your hands....the oil can stay in dugarees for years if not washed ...especially if you were weed wacking and getting poison ivy sap/oil on your pant legs... you then have to soak them outdoors and use a scrub brush to really penetrate the fibers. then wash with real strong laundry soap. even washing your hands doesnt clean them of bacteria unless you use a brush to clean out all the nooks and crannies of your skin.same with clothes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the thing with poison ivy oil ...is that it penetrates your epidermial layer like nothin... and gets done to the subcutaneously layer that's bright red "seen only when you cut yourself bad". then the oil generates a response there and it creates a sore to expell the oil back up and out....of you... so thats why...it can get re-deposited back onto your skin, and transfered to other undesirable areas.

sok
05-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks.
So you're saying with my mini-grinder I have to get down to the "really cut bad" layer?

Lye soap. Right?

Seeing as there are so many bad plants (1) out in the yard trying to do me harm I think I have skip yard work and go fishing this weekend.

Raven
05-10-2006, 08:07 PM
to smother it out than cut it out unless its on trees then cut the main roots with loppers...which you clean with precious gasoline later.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
to smother it: use an old section of carpet ....grass clippings and or black plastic with sand or soil or rocks to anchor it down. you can also spray it with 4 times the concentration of round up when your about to have four consecutive sunny days....although the new stuff (round up)claims to have water proof capability in 20 minutes....and thats a good thing!

Raven
05-10-2006, 08:23 PM
[quote=sok]
Lye soap. Right? heres the picture
I think I have skip yard work ...good idea ...smother it instead
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/felsnaphasoap.jpg

sok
05-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the advice.
I appreciate all the info.
Went back out in the yard a few hours ago.
The sprout is now a small shrub. Easy to kill.

Then I looked up.......................
(My yard is a hill. 75-85 feet to the house above. I cleared 6 feet up and back and I'm paying for it.)

What's the biggest piece of plastic or carpet I can buy?
20x20?
30x30?

stripercrazy
05-12-2006, 09:38 PM
I never caught it to last year, when I was a kid I'd rub the leaves on me and never caught it.worked around it in the rain yesterday and today I got a lump spoted rash on my neck and head:eek5: didn't think I'd get it in the wet:poke:

Raven
05-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the advice.
I appreciate all the info.
What's the biggest piece of plastic or carpet I can buy?
20x20?
30x30?

you need black plastic ok so the light wont get thru...

then it smothers it out with heat and no light.
you can buy that @ H.Depot -> 20' by 100'....

if that whole friggan hillside is covered with P. I.
then you got a big problem .... so get several rolls
and cover the whole thing...but then you have this huge rain
sheild sending rainwater water to your house...not good.

for less money you could buy a new pump up sprayer and round up
and spray the whole hillside.... if you can spray a swath 6 feet wide
then you string a string 6 feet down across the hill...
and use it as a guide then move it 6 feet down again..
.til you reach the bottom.

might wanna wait til sunny weather ....to do that.

Slingah
05-18-2006, 07:49 PM
I hate that stuff....paint thinner works too.....get the steroid (prednisone)
righty:jester:
I ve had it everywhere...seem to be immune now though
so much for being immune...all I did was look at it and I got it:wall:

Raven
05-18-2006, 07:57 PM
slingah .... if i even look at it,
i have it the next day...

it's like i have to have a silver cross and
walk backwards chanting the holy scripture.

thats why i know so much about healing skin
because it sure likes my scottish (scandinavian)
white skin
i guess. :huh:

Slingah
05-18-2006, 08:24 PM
thanks for your posts raven....I got some killin to do:devil:

Slammer223
05-19-2006, 05:09 PM
My doc gave me a cream called LYDEX,worked real well.Along with a cortisone shot and a scrip for Prednisone of course.

Thom
05-21-2006, 08:17 AM
IM l#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g Idon't get it. MY regular fishing partner didn't belive me so we went and found some rubbed it on my arm and never got it he used the same plant and he got it now he doesn't aruge with me. ThomT

thortum
05-21-2006, 09:06 AM
best remedy of all...stay out of poison ivy!! it's always worked for me. if that doesn't work,wear gloves. good fishing.

Saltheart
05-22-2006, 08:06 AM
Yhere is a good Canal spot that I had to stop fishing cause I got poison ivy or Oak or Sumac (whatever it is over there) every time I went there. I'd even be extra c areful not to touch anything but I think it was getting on my cloths too.

backbeach
05-24-2006, 08:01 AM
I get it every shad season. I must get too charged up to remember to check what I'm walking trough... I'll say this; I've tried every over the counter med and they never work fast. I trhink all they do is make u more comfortable til it runs its course. An uncle who works at the DPW told me to wipe the area with full strength Clorox bleach and it was gone in 2 days. If its bad and starts to ooze get the shot from the doc or a RX for the steroid because if you delay you'll get it like I did, I looked like a maple tree during sugar season with the pus running down my legs-NASTY.

RickBomba
06-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Somebody wrote about buring PI...Mikey and I had a barbeque in the Mt. Tom Reservation in the spring of 1990, and instead of using charcoal we burned wood!!!
Omigawd!!! I looked like the bear in Looney Tunes that got stung all over the head!!!
My uncle had me on 4 tabs of Benadryl every four hours...I still don't remember taking finals that year...somehow I got a 3.9 that semester, too.
The Bomba's get it bad!!! I still won't fish where Mikey fishes without being in full wader gear, and don't touch anything that even comes in contact with the stuff...what can I say, though...Mikey's a little more hardcore than me.
I'm sick right now...but I'm not itching!!!
Later,
Sick Rick

Raven
06-04-2006, 04:23 AM
i hope ya feel Better soon ,,,,,man.:wave: