View Full Version : w-d 40 ... got to luv it.

stiff tip
04-27-2006, 05:22 AM
:shocked:claps:i finished the boat today ,and was cleanin up sprayin some parts -etc .i over sprayed w/ wd 40 some rust stains . i went to wipe it off, and off came the stain ,, tryed it elswere and it worked ... works good on petro base stains on fiberglass boat ..now my boat smells like d-40 ....comments ????? cc cake... i like it cod fishin too...on the jigs an bugs..:wid: :wid:

BigFish
04-27-2006, 05:48 AM
I got some road tar on my new truck....so my buddy Joey G. says...."Put some WD-40 on a rag and it will wipe right off!":huh: You know how stubborn road tar can be....well, the WD-40 worked like a dream and no paint damage!:kewl: My buddy Joey G. has been using on his trucks for years!

Bob Thomas
04-27-2006, 06:32 AM
My old man just used it to get the OLD grease out of the Abu 7000's. Put some (has a gallon jug) in a small ceramic bowl and used an acid brush to scrub the grease out. Worked great!

ScottC
04-27-2006, 06:32 AM
WD-40 is great for displacing water, That is actually what the name stands for:

Water Displacement-40th try:D

I am going to try it on tar, it's like windex, it has 1,000 uses

beamie
04-27-2006, 06:46 AM
OK, For some things WD 40 is ok. But the main reason it is so popular is all marketing. There are so much better products out there for loosening and water displacing etc.

I like to say WD is here today gone today. It doesn't last.

Rust inhibitor wise/water displaceing the best thing out thier if you can find it is a produce called LPS #3 will stay around for over a year. My favorite for loosening is PB Blaster.

Have seen people use it cod fishing before.

Sluggoslinger
04-27-2006, 08:08 AM
Do any of you use it as a bait scent? I have seen people mention that they use it. I also researched the myth that it has bunker oil in it and it isn't true.

Do you think it actually works as a scent though?

OnTheLedge
04-27-2006, 08:29 AM
Sluggoslinger, where did you do your research? You may be correct, I'm just asking. My understanding is that menhaden oil IS the primary component of WD. The "reduction industry" used to harvest whales to produce industrial oil, now it uses menhaden. The largest harvester of menhaden oil on the east coast is a company called Omega Potein, formerly called Zapata Corporation, founded by George Bush Sr. The State of Virginia refuses to shut this company down. Hmmm....I wonder why? I use WD too, but I think it's time to start thinking about using something else. For a great article on the history of the menhaden fishery and Omega Protein go to http://motherjones.com/news/feature/2006/03/net_losses-4.html

stiff tip
04-27-2006, 09:03 AM
if i remember to bring the 40 i spray my tubes too as well as my cod jigs and bugs....its 50/50 but i use it ,its all about confordense..if it works dont fix it....

Sluggoslinger
04-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Sluggoslinger, where did you do your research? You may be correct, I'm just asking. My understanding is that menhaden oil IS the primary component of WD. The "reduction industry" used to harvest whales to produce industrial oil, now it uses menhaden. The largest harvester of menhaden oil on the east coast is a company called Omega Potein, formerly called Zapata Corporation, founded by George Bush Sr. The State of Virginia refuses to shut this company down. Hmmm....I wonder why? I use WD too, but I think it's time to start thinking about using something else. For a great article on the history of the menhaden fishery and Omega Protein go to http://motherjones.com/news/feature/2006/03/net_losses-4.html

If you go on the WD-40 website, it refers to it as petrolium based...

OnTheLedge
04-27-2006, 12:03 PM
I looked at a can of WD and went on their website. The can says "contains petroleum distillates". The website says the ingredients are a secret. Then it says, "The following ingredients are NOT in WD-40: silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, CFCs and cancer causing agents." I emaied a question asking if fish oil is an ingredient. Well see if they answer. The site says an answer can take a week.

OnTheLedge
04-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Got a reply from the WD-40 company. "There is no fish oil in our product." Myth busted....if you believe 'em.

Van
04-27-2006, 02:53 PM
WD-40 contains oxalic acid, thats why it takes rust off so well.
It may not have that listed on the can. dunno':huh:

Use then rinse well and its fine.

BEETLE
04-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Rust o leum paints "used to" use menhaden oil - dunno if they still do, have not read the back of a can lately. Something my Dad pointed out to me a very long time ago....