View Full Version : Rod Holder On Kayak

hulkyj61
04-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Hey guys, have any of you installed a rod holder on a kayak before? I need a little help. I have a Liquidlogic Mantaray 12 (almost an exact copy of a tarpon 120) and i got a rod holder. Do you need to put silicone or caulk under the holder or do you drill the hole and screw it in?? Also do you bolt the holder or just put the screws in the holes you drill in the hull and leave them??

nightfighter
04-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Hulky,
A couple of us have been exploring the dark side of kayak fishing. I was refered to two sites that you should search through for firsthand experience in this project, vs me regurgitating what I think I read...

www.newenglandkayakfishing.com

http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com/home/

Megabyte
04-27-2006, 08:21 PM
A lot of the kayak just use a gasket (some rod holders come with one). Not much sticks to the polyethelene of the kayak.

Take a look @ www. kayakfishinggear.com / How-To's they show putting on a rod holder or 2 or 3.

Megabyte
04-27-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm exploring the dark side as well.

I'm looking at the 13' Ocean Kayak - angler model.

How about you?

hulkyj61
04-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Just bought this thing. They don't have an angler model, but there are plenty of flush spots and other things to place angling gear. So it's basically a customizable fishing kayak. It's a Liquidlogic Manta Ray 12.

Megabyte
04-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Looks cool. Have you started customizing yet.

Looks just like the Ocean kayak I'm looking at. Yellow and all.

have you had it out yet?

hooked
04-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Hey guys, have any of you installed a rod holder on a kayak before? I need a little help. I have a Liquidlogic Mantaray 12 (almost an exact copy of a tarpon 120) and i got a rod holder. Do you need to put silicone or caulk under the holder or do you drill the hole and screw it in?? Also do you bolt the holder or just put the screws in the holes you drill in the hull and leave them??

I assume you are installing a capped flushmount. If so, SS screw should be fine instead of bolts since there isn't a lot of stress put on those holders. If you are putting a RAM or Scotty base, use bolts.

Definitely use some type of sealant to prevent the holder from leaking. Lexel is popular since it stays somewhat flexible and adheres pretty well to the polyethylene. Apply liberally so that if forms a full gasket around the base.

Also, paddle the boat before you drill the hole to make sure that the rod position doesn't interfere with your stroke and that the rod is within convenient reach. Duct tape something to the deck where you plan on putting the rod and try it. I used a wrapping paper tube. You only want to drill once.

Looks nice.