View Full Version : leader mono alternative

CANAL RAT
04-29-2006, 08:44 PM
i am looking for a alternative to 50lb big game mono for leaders,i hate making leaders with this stuff is to damn stiff and does not knot well,maybe some of you guys know of some floro or copolymer lines that are softer and knot easly?

staktup
04-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Are you using the leader material or spool mono? Why not scale down to 40# then? I find the perlon spools of leader material to be too stiff myself; I use 30# straight mono (Ande or BG) for open beach and 40-50# for rocky areas. If you can find a clear 30 04 40# copolymer line (like Flying Fisher that's cheaper), maybe that's the ticket.

stripadan
04-29-2006, 10:55 PM
what knot are you using, and leader material or regular mono? I've used regular 50 lb. big game green for years with improved clinch knot, my buddy uses the same mono with uni-knot. As long as the mono is wet with saliva, i have no problems tying it. Also, green big game is a little less stiff than clear. I always used green, but noticed the difference, and the rep agreed that green was less stiff.

Stewie
04-30-2006, 09:12 AM
I've been really happy with the Ande mono leader material that comes on spools like the floro. It knots well, takes a lot of abuse and is cheap (four bucks for a fifty yard spool). The spool fits nicely behind the tubes in your plugbag.

Pete_G
04-30-2006, 09:28 AM
I agree, the inexpensive Ande mono leader material works well for me. I'm tying a lot of my leaders out of it this year.

Also check out 50# Yozuri Hybrid. The purple stuff. Knots well and it's tough. The clear Hybrid doesn't compare imo, stay away from it.

basswipe
04-30-2006, 10:43 AM
I too use the Ande mono for leaders.I keep it simple,50lb around rocks and rocky bottoms and 30lb everywhere else.For knots I use a palomar for the 30 and an improved clinch for the 50.A 50yd spool of each is just about enough for a season's worth of leaders for me.

To make knot tying a little easier I use an "extra hand".Basically a screw eye buried into a board which is clamped down to a work bench. On the screw eye is a heavy duty split-ring.I just attach the swivel or the snap to the split-ring and now have both hands free to tie and pull with.This will work with the palomar too just tie the form of the knot before attaching to the ring

CANAL RAT
04-30-2006, 12:53 PM
im using reg 50 big game mono and i am using a improved clinch knot for my leaders. i was thinking of using some of the new sufix stuff

Mike P
04-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Don't use an improved clinch in anything over 30# mono. It's very difficult to snug the knot up tight without some extra help, like basswipe's screw eye. Use a simple clinch knot. 4 turns for 40, three for 50. Better to have fewer turns and tight loops than more turns and slippage.

Saltheart
04-30-2006, 05:13 PM
As someone said , spit on it before tightening. If you don't , you will thin the mono right down where it cinches and it will be weak. Hard to believe the difference until you see it with and without some spit on it when tightened.

Little Round
04-30-2006, 05:34 PM
For what it is worth I like the 50lb Momoi. Nothing too fancy, but it works for me.

libassboy
04-30-2006, 06:28 PM
Annother vote for the Ande leader material..it comes in a handy spool. Slobber up the knots good and they will tie a whole lot easier.

big jay
04-30-2006, 07:14 PM
If your looking to try another brand - give Jinkai a shot. It has the smallest diameter of any mono on the market, and it isextremely pliable. Very easy to tie and good abrasion resistance. Probably themost popular leader material out there for tuna and offshore.

steelhead
04-30-2006, 07:40 PM
Take a look at the old original mono... COmes out of germany or something like that. Bass Pro Shop carries it. Called Camo Line. Very thin and very abrasion resistant. Good stuff....

Slingah
04-30-2006, 07:53 PM
I like the Ande as well...really its just about all Ive used...except for fluro..and I hardly use that....huchtwoey

riverrat2
04-30-2006, 07:56 PM
Big Game Green 40 and 50#:btu:

Parker650
04-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Is there a difference in the large spool 50 lb ande mono and the smaller 50 lb ande mono leader spools?