View Full Version : Metric question

tattoobob
04-30-2006, 09:43 AM
load the 7” Red Fin's with approximately 8-10ccs of water. Load the 5” Red Fin's with 3ccs.

This is for DZ and I am wondering, When he says ccs is that cubic centermeters? and I have a hypodermic needle that messures in ML
I am pretty sure they are the same messurement can any one tell me
the correct answers?

Springtides
04-30-2006, 09:48 AM
Not sure Bob, but float the Red GIll in a tall pot of water before you seal it up. It should float/sit at around a 45 degree angle.

Mike P
04-30-2006, 09:52 AM
I'm pretty sure cc=ml.

tattoobob
04-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Thanks guys, I will try the pot thing
I thought cc=ml but wanted to be sure
seeing we did metric in grade school and that was 33 yrs ago

scoobe
04-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Bob,

You're right on that. CC = cubic centimeter = mL = milileter

Backbeach Jake
04-30-2006, 10:33 AM
Googled it: Freedictionary says that a cubic centimeter is a metric unit of volumn equal to one thousandth of a liter. :rtfm: If metric is that easy ,then why do I have to Google this stuff? :hee:

Mike P
04-30-2006, 12:22 PM
If metric is that easy ,then why do I have to Google this stuff? :hee:

Metric IS that easy. It's when you have to convert from metric to our farked-up system of weights and measurements that you run into all kinds of problems ;)

woodbutcher
04-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Bob,

You're right on that. CC = cubic centimeter = mL = milileter
It gets even better because 1CC or mL of water at 4.08 degrees centigrade weighs 1 gram. For our purposes the density change of water due to temperature is neglible. So if I know how many mL's water I added, I also know how many grams I added. Handy info. if a guy wanted to switch from water to mercury, as long as his scale reads in grams. Grams to ounces, that gets ugly.
(above provided for informational purposes only)

Backbeach Jake
04-30-2006, 07:00 PM
It gets even better because 1CC or mL of water at 4.08 degrees centigrade weighs 1 gram. For our purposes the density change of water due to temperature is neglible. So if I know how many mL's water I added, I also know how many grams I added. Handy info. if a guy wanted to switch from water to mercury, as long as his scale reads in grams. Grams to ounces, that gets ugly.
(above provided for informational purposes only)
just had a flashback to Freshman Chemistry class. Grams to Oz's, I remember it well....:usd:

Slammer223
04-30-2006, 09:49 PM
You can add the same weight in grams of Mercury as water but not the same number of CC's or ML's.Let's use another term from the Chemistry glossary here:Specific Gravity,which relates to density of a substance as compared to water which has a value of 1.

baldwin
05-01-2006, 08:00 AM
28.2 grams in 1 oz. I remember that too, but not from chemistry. If you're going to get picky and factor in the temperature, you might as well account for atmospheric pressure. All of those, though, are negligible. 1g = 1ml = 1cc as far as water goes. These are all based on water, because the most important thing in life is fishing.

piemma
05-01-2006, 08:15 AM
Hey JohnR
pretty neat. Google must analyse the content of threads (scary thought) because the thread on syringes has ads on the right for...yep, you guessed it... syringes