View Full Version : Yawn........................

Mr. Sandman
04-22-2002, 12:50 PM
Whelp, after a (pretty) good winter (ie did lots of skiing and blew out my knee) I am ready for a new surf fishing season. limp limp

This season will be difficult for me to fish as much as I would like until the fall. I am making a permanent move to the vineyard this summer. So that (moving) will keep me occupied thru the summer. But I hope I can bust loose and re-discover some new spots this fall. It should be interesting being a year round resident there. Already met a couple guys out there that fish..Not too much happening just yet but any day now it should start.

Once I get situated out there I will keep you informed of the local scene.

I can't offer my house to you all like the kind fellow at cuttyhunk did....this move is already stressing out the wife&kids enough as it is (not to mention me) But I will post any significant activity.

(The reason for the move is not fishing related, it's just a nice benefit....it is because of my wife's career, I can work anywhere I can get a high speed connection.)

JohnR
04-22-2002, 01:01 PM
Mr. Sandman - you adopting?

Sorry to hear about your knee, I know how that goes - I'm still lackin' ACL and have not had the Hammy replacement surgery yet :(

It may be tough on the kids but that is a wonderful place to live and to be able to establish a permanet residence there is truly a rare opportunity. I hope and think you all will enjoy that Island.

I'm sure I could figure out a way to packup and move to MV to support my wife's career. It would be tough but I'd do it :p . Well, maybe I'll have more of a chance if she gets a job. It will need to have future relocation benefits like MV or Block :D

Seriously - good luck out there, it's a magnificant place. I'll look you up in the fall if I get over there for the hoped for week (late Sept - DERBY TIME!!!)...

Mr. Sandman
04-22-2002, 01:17 PM
John,

Thanks. For us it didn't take long to make the decision but we will have to take bit of a hit in our current standard of living (whatever your house is worth here... does not buy much out there, waterfront...forgetaboutit ) but I expect the recreation aspects will compensate for smaller home.
My kids will complain but once they get their own small boat to mess about in the salt ponds I think that should subside.

I have been out there half a dozen times this winter, its actually a lot more populated then I thought. Like 10-13K in the winter 100K in the summer.

Once the derby comes around I hope to have the rods unpacked and the beach pretty well scoped out. I just hate moving and I will not be able to think much about fishing until all this relocation stuff is behind me.

I will miss some aspects of living in RI but not all. I hope to still fish Block too (although not as much) . That said, it will be fun to learn a the break in the new backyard.

schoolie monster
04-22-2002, 02:37 PM
Mr. Sandman,

That's great. I've only been to the Vineyard once, but as a yearly visitor to Nantucket, I've gotta believe your quality of life is gonna improve. All that sand and water has to be good for your soul.

I'm not sure I could handle the crowds of crazy fishermen for the derby each year (I'm kind of a solitude type of guy), but I'm sure you'll be able to find some out of the way spots no one knows about.

Best of luck to you and your family.