View Full Version : Sage vs ?

Flaptail
05-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Any info out there on Sage FLi rods. Thinking of buying one. Can't afford the better models but was impressed with the FLi. Need to replace my old worn out T&T Emerger 9wt. Thought the FLi could be a good replacement. If no good any suggestions on any other makes and models? Thanks in advance, Flap

pmueller
05-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Shop around and cast alot of rods. You'll be suprised what you find out there. The new Albright rods look pretty good, with a new series made for sinking lines. You can't go wrong with a Legend Ultra from St. Croix. Stretch the limits for what your use to casting, pay attention to any tip twisting.

titan
05-01-2006, 06:22 PM
I own 2 FLi's, in 9 and 10 weight. I love mine and would highly recommend them to anyone. They are great casting rods, very light and very smooth feeling with power. Last season I found myself using my 9 weight FLi over my more expensive rods for casting on the flats, I just love that rod. I really don't think you are giving up any performance by going with a FLi. Of course that's my opinion. If you can, cast as many rods as you can. Also in that price range and worth looking at would be the Albright XX, the Redington CPS and Temple Fork TiCR and TiCR-X. The Loomis GL3 is also worth a look, I have a 7 weight GL3 and just love how it casts. Good luck.

jeffsod
05-01-2006, 10:01 PM
I was looking at the Albright XX's at Bears Den. It's nice looking rod had me thinking but decided to hold off to see how they stand up. They had the Echo2 rods there which were in the same price range. There are definetely a number of options in that price range. Good luck...

Flaptail
05-02-2006, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the replys! Right now I own the following:

10wt Penn International 9ft.
9 wt GLoomis 9ft
8wt GLoomis 9ft
8wt T&T Emerger 9ft
9wt T&T Emerger 9ft
7wt T&T Emerger 9ft
8wt Orvis Power Matrix 9ft

I think I have casted every rod out there and that Sage FLi fits my needs best. Titan, I think you nailed it when you bought those. My mind is made up.

Thanks again, Flap.:kewl:

Pete_G
05-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Temple Fork basically revived and/or reinvented the inexpensive fly rod.

Years ago, I feel many fly rod companies (basically all the companies) intentionally made their lower end fly rods feel like low end fly rods to help the sales of their high end fly rods. Temple Fork and few others came in, started making quality, inexpensive fly rods, and effectively forced (imo) the big names in the business to take a serious look at the casting qualities of their lower end sticks.

The FLi and many others in this price range are very nice. In most cases, it is tough to tell them apart from their more expensive counterparts.

Sales of $600 fly rods are becoming increasingly rare. There's a few different scenarios that play out all the time at the shop:

One is your beginner caster. He can't tell the difference between a $200 and a $600 fly rod. So he almost always goes with the $200 fly rod, as he should. It's more then good enough to learn on and the quality is such that he won't feel he needs to upgrade as he learns to cast. Shops that regularly sell a lot of $600 rods must be preying on the beginners lack of knowledge, advertising, and trust in the fly shop, imo.

Next is your mid-range caster. He might be able to detect differences between fly rods, but whether there is any distinct advantage to the $600 rod he's not sure. Usually he doesn't think so and he's right. $200 fly rod again.

Lastly we have an experienced caster. He can feel the differences between all the fly rods. Of course, he can outcast most people using a flyline on a broom stick. If there is an advantage to a $600 fly rod that he can feel, he's still going to have trouble justifying $400 more for a fly rod.

deadwoodken
05-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Anyone here ever look into Dorber rods..I don't have the addy but a search engine will pick it up. I picked up a 9 ft. 9wt E-4 saltwater fly stick ( titanium guides & such ) a little while back. Forget exactly what I paid but the price seemed right when I got it. The qualitity seems excellent to me and I like it so much I bought another one of their rods...lil 5'6" 5wt stream rod. I love Sage sticks, but still think the DorbeR is worth looking inta.

steelhead
05-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Look into a Heritage rod. Great rod for the price. I won a 3 weight (43" bass to its gredit!), a 6wgt, 10'-6" 7/8 wgt that throws an 11 weight line like butte and a 12' 7/8 wgt that throws the same 11 wgt line like butte as well. These are great rods for the surf! As well as one of Ken Abrames 10'-6" 6 weights that is in a league unto itself!