View Full Version : advice for a former freswater basser

ackwriter
05-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Recently moved to Nantucket and trying to get good information from the locals is like trying to buy property out here, unless you've got millions, it ain't going to happen. I have lived in northerh NH and Vt my whole life and loved fishing freshwater for largemouth bass, but that isn't going to happen out here. My question is, what are good baits to use for early season stripers or "schoolies" as they call them out here. any suggetsions would help, esp. from anyone on nantucket.

thanks

kippy
05-01-2006, 03:36 PM
4 inch white curly tailed grubs on either a bucktail jig or 1/2 oz to 3/4 oz jighead would work. I also use the 4 inch pearl storm shads. Cocahoes are also effective if you can find them..think small.

ackwriter
05-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the tip, heading out once i'm free from "work." Windy as hell out here, but i'll post if i have any luck.

partsjay
05-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Welcome Aboard!!!

Best of luck with your new addiction.....you moved to a great spot to get into this!!

Jay

nightfighter
05-01-2006, 04:16 PM
You will have to hook up with Beachwalker. He lives on island. He has not been on lately due to Comcrap "upgrades" that smoked his OS.... If do not see or hear from him on this thread, PM him, or me and I will put you in touch.

PNG
05-01-2006, 04:41 PM
At night with a cast net catch squid which school up at docks with lights. Steamship and the CG docks are good. Rinse the ink put'm in a live well/bucket. Gingerly put one on a hook and cast out to the "shadow line" and enjoy.

Eels under the light where there are lots of pennies is good easy fish'n.

Try the new X-Rap from rapala in white off the beach.

MarshCappa
05-02-2006, 10:36 AM
I'll be on a charter w/ Matt Reeder next Monday morning from Capt. Tom's charters. I'll let you know how it goes. I've been checking another site for reports from an outfit named Cross Rip Outfitters.

http://www.crossrip.com/

They have a good report section that is very up to date.

Capt Tom says today that the fishing is just getting good and by next week more of the bigger size fish should be in the waters.

Check out the reports and good luck. I'll be fishing from the beach and checking out some of the "ponds" as well on Tues & Wed next week.

Tight Lines.

beachwalker
05-03-2006, 05:33 AM
Hey and welcome,

Schoolies are here but I haven't fished yet. Water all churned up from the blow.
Use bass assasins, cocahoes, bucktails, small metal, etc.

don't waste your time and money eel fishing until the season gets more advanced.

good luck

cross rip report says 29lb keeper. bunch of crap. 29" is more like it.

ackwriter
05-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Sorry, beachwalker......If your are going out and have the paitence to give a tip or two to a newbie, send me a PM and i'd love to meet up and gain some knowldge from you. If not, best of luck to you this season.
--ackwriter