View Full Version : Connecticut Stripers

Erik
04-22-2002, 03:01 PM
I go to school in West Haven, CT and have access to the Sound. I have a 6 1/2 foot casting rod with a decent spinning reel. I realize this isn't the best set-up in the world for fishing the sound from shore, but I'm wondering where I can go to fish for Stripers around here and how to do it. Thanks in advance.

- Erik M

JohnR
04-22-2002, 03:13 PM
Welcome to S-B Erik. I don't fish there but there a couple regulars here that live in that area that do... And there probably is good fishing around there. I seem to recall that the CT record Seventy-something pound striped bass came out of that area...

JohnS
04-22-2002, 05:51 PM
Erik, you can go to the west haven sand bar with your set up and have a good chance of catching some schoolies. Bring some white twister tails and 1/8-3/8 oz. jig heads to match your grubs.
The sandbar is near Capt. Galley, let us know how you do.
Fish any tide as long as it is moving.

JohnS

mikecc
04-22-2002, 06:21 PM
Erik
I know nothing about the area your looking for just wanted to say welcome aboard.

Marc Z
04-22-2002, 07:00 PM
Erik,
Listen to what JohnS said, go to the Captains Galley Restaurant in West Haven and park in the lot across the street. It's a well known and much fished spot, just walk to the left after parking. The fishing has been good there lately. The 6 1/2' will do you fine right now with the small fish. Again what John said use 1/4-1/2 oz jigs with small rubber and you'll get em there. Go to the Outdoor Sport Shop on beach st right down the road next to Chick's hot dog joint and Bob will hook you up with the right stuff
Good luck.
MZ

HESH2
04-23-2002, 01:35 PM
HI ERIC,I FISH THE SAND BAR AND USE 1/2 JIG HEADS WITH SMALL 4'' RUBBERS.COLORS ETC. AT OUTDOOR SPORTS SHOP.GREEN SEEMS TO WORK WELL.GOOD LUCK WITH THE TIDES LATE THIS WEEK IT SHOULD BE BUSY.

westhavendave
04-23-2002, 01:56 PM
Welcome to the Sandbar Eric. Good Luck, Dave

Erik
04-23-2002, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome and all of the helpful info. Just got back from the Outdoor Sport Shop with 1/2 dozen new white grubs (6") and 1/2 oz. jig heads. Barnacle Bob gave me a few pointers for fishing the sandbar too.

I'll be getting the rest of my gear when I drive home this weekend, and I'll be hitting the sandbar soon as I get back!

Thanks again, and I'll be sure to let everyone know how the fishing is.

- Erik M :cool:

chris L
04-23-2002, 05:43 PM
I cant add much to what JohnS and Mark Z or for that matter what Bob told you . Just want to welcome you to Ct and to the sandbar . Are you a UNH student ? give the sandbar a shot during the day and at night . get a tide chart for new haven harbor , as the sandbar is a 2 hours before high thru to 2 hours after high . this area is very shallow so watching the tide is important .
Enjoy
Ill be hitting the sandbar next week after work maybe Ill see ya there .

Erik
04-24-2002, 02:46 PM
Yep, I'm at good ole UNH. I'm outta here for good though in May. I wish I had gotten into shoreline fishing 4 years ago! Ah well, I'll be back in Windsor where I can try my luck with Stripers in the CT River.

See ya at the sandbar.

- Erik M

Rich R
04-25-2002, 11:06 AM
Welcome Erik,
I'm a relative newcomer to this board too. Nice folks with straight answers.

I work for CL&P and Windsor used to be my territory. Tell me, is the Windsor Donut shop still open in the center of town? Best danged chocolate butternut doughnuts ever!

Rich

Erik
04-25-2002, 03:12 PM
Oh yes, the Windsor Donut Shop is still there. Although they have a little competition from a Dunkies in Wilson now. I prefer the Boston Cremes! Thanks for the welcome and goodluck with the fishing.

- Erik M :cool: