View Full Version : what kind of waders are we using

jim sylvester
05-02-2006, 02:32 PM
been through three pairs of waders in the last 2 years....ll bean wicked tough. :huh:

..although they stand by their product and replace at no charge, it is an pain in the @*# (wetsuit at that point).

Wondering what you are using out there.

thinking about making the move to simms

thanks

JoeP
05-02-2006, 02:36 PM
been through three pairs of waders in the last 2 years....ll bean wicked tough. :huh:

..although they stand by their product and replace at no charge, it is an pain in the @*# (wetsuit at that point).

Wondering what you are using out there.

thinking about making the move to simms

thanks

I went through 3 or 4 pairs of those Wicked Tough waders myself in 2 years. I finally bought the Simms G3's last year and they have been great.

Rockport24
05-02-2006, 02:58 PM
ok this may sound stupid, but I have been using cabela's "featherweight" waders for about a year and a half and have had no problems with them at all. They were cheap ($50), I have aquaskins (thermal underwear) that I wear underneath them and in the spring water I don't get cold. However, trout fishing in January in 38-40 degree water I got cold after about an hour, but that is a little extreme.
They are made out of a durable plastic/canvas material that I have stuck hooks into, scraped on rocks and they do not leek.
The drawback to this kind is that they are not breathable at all, if I walk a while in them, I take them off and it's like they leeked cause of the sweat! I think I am going to get some breatables though for when I do some hiking to a spot.

tattoobob
05-02-2006, 03:07 PM
I use LL Bean, I just can't pass up the warantee

Saltheart
05-02-2006, 03:09 PM
We don't use them much at the canal but for elsewhere i do have a pair of Orvis (silver label?? ) Wait till they go on sale though. They are probably half price when on sale compared to the every day price. very comfortable. Can't comment on durability cause as I stated , they get light use. lifetime warrantee.

american spirit
05-02-2006, 03:28 PM
cabelas dry plus breathable and hodgeman neoprene. never had a problem with either pair.

cabelas are 1 year and going strong
hodegman are 2 or 3 years

pops
05-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Simms ...3-going on 4 years all good. after sales service ,fantastic.
breathable bootfoot waders.:kewl:

keeperreaper
05-02-2006, 03:30 PM
I dont remember who makes them but them are now made out of aquaseal. ;)

basswipe
05-02-2006, 03:56 PM
cabelas dry plus breathable and hodgeman neoprene. never had a problem with either pair.

cabelas are 1 year and going strong
hodegman are 2 or 3 years

I use the Cabelas Dry Plus breathables too.Put a full season on them last year with no problems and so far so good this year.

Rockport24
05-02-2006, 04:03 PM
I just checked out those LL bean "wicked tough"
they claim they are the tougest ones ever, funny how you guys have already been through a few pairs each. What is up with LL Bean waders?

PI guy
05-02-2006, 04:03 PM
I use LL's myself, have been though 3 pairs of West branches in the last 2 years though. I'm in them pretty much every day and don't rinse them. Like Bob said you just can't beat their warranty. Only thing they changed since my first pair is that they got rid of the rubber boot and went w/ a lace up integrated boot, I wish they had just left the boots alone.

Mr. Sandman
05-02-2006, 04:06 PM
My last pair I got two solid seasons out of and they are still OK, I plan to make them my backup pair this year. They were Hodgeman guide series bootfoot. Very comfortable heavy breathable material and good around the ankle for a boot foot.
I need a new pair this spring. I have heard so many good things about Simms I am going to give them a go. Where is a good place to get them?

I need a boot foot heavy duty breathable. I cant take the sand in the stocking foot even though they are better to walk around in.

thanks

eelman
05-02-2006, 04:11 PM
I went through 3 or 4 pairs of those Wicked Tough waders myself in 2 years. I finally bought the Simms G3's last year and they have been great.

Ditto..The best there is.........G3s

Krispy
05-02-2006, 04:23 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Pod/02/35/56/p023556vr03.jpg
Cabela's Guide Tech™ Dry-Plus® Lace-up Bootfoot
:love: love em

Mr. Sandman
05-02-2006, 04:30 PM
My fear about the stocking foot waders is sand in the boot. I would be pissed if I spend $425 for the simms then another 100 or so for the boots + any other goodies only to have sand get inside the boot.

If I walk out say for a mile in sand and surf, will sand get in there to the point where I have to take them off and empty them while fishing?

hooked
05-02-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm probably wrong, but I don't think Simms makes boot foot.

I had to send my Silver Label bootfoots in for warranty service and just picked up a pair of Simms Freestone stocking foots as a backup/second pair. The G3s are nicer but I were out of my budget.

tattoobob
05-02-2006, 05:06 PM
The One thing I like about the LL Bean is that you can still use the leaky ones until they send you a new pair, this way I don't have any down time waiting two weeks to send them back them to do a inspection then repiaring or replacing then the time to send them back. The warantee is unconditional even if you don't like them after 10 yrs. send them back and get a new pair

risurffish
05-02-2006, 05:19 PM
I wear orvis silver label boot foot 3 years no problems.I tried orvis silver label stocking foot and the answer is yes you will have to dump the sand out of the boot even with gators on,and wet sand lumps up and is hard to get out of the wading boot.

Nebe
05-02-2006, 06:35 PM
huh... i just upgraded from my old pair of west branch waders to the wicked tough ones.. So far, i like them, but time will tell... when these kick the bucket i will try out the simms i guess..

I also jsut got a new pair of LLBean's newer version of the ultralight wading shoe- I am in love :love:

Saltheart
05-02-2006, 06:36 PM
I prefer bootfoot.

Plugster
05-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Cablea's bootfoot 5mm thick, going on 6 years no problems

Sea Dangles
05-02-2006, 08:01 PM
I got the simms last year and they have aqua seal itis but I am always climbing up on barnacle covered rocks the way fat guys do with their knees and hey,they get scraped but what wouldn't.I like them a lot.Awesome wader for the sand with the rubber boot (which is way comfy)and all but I may invest in the stocking foot and get some lace-up boots with the little spikes on them from LL.Don't forget that LL sells Simms and when you buy from them you also buy the LL warrantee.

JoeP
05-02-2006, 08:19 PM
I just checked out those LL bean "wicked tough"
they claim they are the tougest ones ever, funny how you guys have already been through a few pairs each. What is up with LL Bean waders?

They are not made in the USA - enough said.

I know Simms waders are made in the USA, and maybe Patagonia waders, but that's about it.

JoeP
05-02-2006, 08:26 PM
huh... i just upgraded from my old pair of west branch waders to the wicked tough ones.. So far, i like them, but time will tell... when these kick the bucket i will try out the simms i guess..

I also jsut got a new pair of LLBean's newer version of the ultralight wading shoe- I am in love :love:

Eben - all of my Wicked Tough waders leaked at the seams in the feet (except the ones that tore a hole in a knee from a barnacle-covered rock :huh: )...

Even the Orvis Pro Guides I had before the LL Beans leaked at the seams. I think the MAIN difference between the USA-made Simms and the various overseas-made waders is the quality of the workmanship in the seams, etc - not as much the actual materials. Gore-Tex is Gore-Tex.

That said, the material on the lower portion of the Simms G3's feels indestructible...

Fly Aquidneck
05-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Buy the best wader you can afford that can be swapped over the counter at your closeest tackle shop. Most have a decent garantee but actaully swapping them out is a PITA. I have always told people just getting into fishing to spend the bulk on the waders... rods and reels come later but if you are not comfortable you'll never enjoy yourself.

I have a pair of Patagonia (Pata-Gucci) SSTs, They are super tough and garenteed through anything. Pricey on the front end but if you need a pair to count on for a tip of a lifetime... can't go wrong. They are stocking foot which suck in the surf. Unless you like heavy feet. I have a pair of silverlable Orvis bootfool. the oldones kind of orangy tan with the neprene on the top of the boot. I think I am the only one I know that still has a pair that doesn't leak.

Muy 2 cents!

FishHawk
05-03-2006, 04:54 AM
Proline bootfoot waders . Got them from Goose Hummock. Not a bad wader for the money. FishHawk

lurch
05-03-2006, 05:24 AM
Love the west branch waders from LL been using them for two seasons with no troubles....you CANNOT beat the warranty! With that warranty I will never buy another pair.

Joey G
05-03-2006, 06:06 AM
Simms bootfoot are still made special order , great wader for the sand.:btu:

jim sylvester
05-03-2006, 07:27 AM
Ditto..The best there is.........G3s

Bill,
Hows the warranty on simms

do they prorate or send you a pair free of charge

jim sylvester
05-03-2006, 07:30 AM
I got the simms last year and they have aqua seal itis but I am always climbing up on barnacle covered rocks the way fat guys do with their knees and hey,they get scraped but what wouldn't.I like them a lot.Awesome wader for the sand with the rubber boot (which is way comfy)and all but I may invest in the stocking foot and get some lace-up boots with the little spikes on them from LL.Don't forget that LL sells Simms and when you buy from them you also buy the LL warrantee.

I only thought the lifetime warranty was on llbean products

spence
05-03-2006, 07:35 AM
Buy the best wader you can afford that can be swapped over the counter at your closeest tackle shop. Most have a decent garantee but actaully swapping them out is a PITA.
Or get the LLBean credit card...Free 1-2 day FedEX shipping!

-spence

JFigliuolo
05-03-2006, 07:39 AM
WTF do you guys do in your waders? I had <$100 hodgeman stocking foot waders, and get 2 seasons out of them. I fish 2-3 nights, they LIVE in my trunk and get treated like $HI&.

stiff tip
05-03-2006, 07:47 AM
i turn in my cablea boots every 2 yrs no questions asked!!!! when the boots wear out i return um....both neo+breathables... been doing it for yrs ...how can you beat that deal ????

shadow
05-03-2006, 10:46 AM
I always feel funny sending somethings back that are somewhat old and used like my silver lables are leaking at the seams there 3 years old I'v beat them to hell can I really send those back for a new pair?I just ordered the orvis pro- guides on sale for 150.00 great deal.I also might send back my ll bean gor-tex wading coat as the cuffs are warn and the zipper broke.

riarcher
05-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Cheap neos from Benny's.

The Iceman 6
05-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Orvis breathables..love them....

fishaholic18
05-03-2006, 12:33 PM
I always feel funny sending somethings back that are somewhat old and used like my silver lables are leaking at the seams there 3 years old I'v beat them to hell can I really send those back for a new pair?I just ordered the orvis pro- guides on sale for 150.00 great deal.I also might send back my ll bean gor-tex wading coat as the cuffs are warn and the zipper broke.
Send them back..Trust me.

Mr. Sandman
05-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Simms bootfoot are still made special order , great wader for the sand.:btu:

I wonder if they will make me a G3 with a boot foot? I may call them.

smokefish
05-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Anybody wearing the Hodgman breathables that were on sale at "#^&#^&#^&#^&s" ?

Rockport24
05-03-2006, 01:04 PM
i turn in my cablea boots every 2 yrs no questions asked!!!! when the boots wear out i return um....both neo+breathables... been doing it for yrs ...how can you beat that deal ????

yeah, Cabela's has the good warantee too huh? I think I'll stick with them, screw the bean's cheap $HIT!
The things just shouldn't leak for at least 3-4 years, then I can see time and wear taking it's toll, one-two seasons, that just sucks.

likwid
05-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Anybody wearing the Hodgman breathables that were on sale at "#^&#^&#^&#^&s" ?

I was about to go see if they had any left!

JFigliuolo
05-03-2006, 01:57 PM
yup, got 2 seasons out of a pair, good deal for short money.

wader-dad
05-03-2006, 02:41 PM
I have a pair of gra-lite waders from last year for just spring and fall. Have a pair of Cabela's for summer.

Gra-lite (made in Illinois) now use a more flexible material on their boot foot waders (still non-breathable ruberized material used for chemical protection suits). Much better than the older material but just as bomb proof. The boots are the most comfortable boots you can imagine-like walking in slippers. Yes you get sweaty inside on a long hike but I have been putting them in a carry bag for hikes to Napatree and other treks. They are a lot warmer than breathables and no sand problems as with stocking foot waders. Hose off and they look new. Again-not for all year long but when its 55 degrees or less I love em. Plus you get to look old school. Rob Cohn

Mr. Sandman
05-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Re: simms bootfoots:

Thank you for contacting Simms Fishing Products. At this time we do not offer a Bootfoot wader due to the boot manufacturer. We are hoping to have a new bootfoot wader in production by the end of the summer and as of right now the research and development team has it under tight wraps. We appreciate your support and interest in our products and hope to have what you are looking for in 2007.

I will come def. be back in 07 to check our their new bootfoot and probably get another pair of Hodgemen Guide bootfoots (~$220), these were pretty good and lasted 2 hard seasons (5Xper week use May-Jan (I use them for scalloping too) but I would like to try out a pair of real high end waders that don't collect sand in the shoe. So far none exist as far as I know.

fishaholic18
05-03-2006, 05:33 PM
WTF do you guys do in your waders? I had <$100 hodgeman stocking foot waders, and get 2 seasons out of them. I fish 2-3 nights, they LIVE in my trunk and get treated like $HI&.
We beat them silly.
Razor Rocks are tough on waders...:uhuh:

Slipknot
05-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Re: simms bootfoots:

Thank you for contacting Simms Fishing Products. At this time we do not offer a Bootfoot wader due to the boot manufacturer. We are hoping to have a new bootfoot wader in production by the end of the summer and as of right now the research and development team has it under tight wraps. We appreciate your support and interest in our products and hope to have what you are looking for in 2007.

thanks for asking them Jim
I'd like to get a pair of those G3's in bootfoot also, I hope they will make a size 14

I use Orvis clearwater breathables, 3 years old and they still suit me fine other than a couple hooks puntures they don't have any leaks yet.

numbskull
05-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Size 14! Jeeeeeezzzzzzusss, Slip, do those qualify you as a navigational hazard?

RIROCKHOUND
05-04-2006, 07:40 AM
Or get the LLBean credit card...Free 1-2 day FedEX shipping!

-spence
Yeah.. but thats 2 fishing trips missed....

I have always worn neoprene, generally cheap ones, Hodgman or Redhead Bone Dry....
Got a pair of stockingfoot breathables this year, cant remeber the model, from cabelas... I kept my neoprenes which are more aquaseal than rubber as a back-up pair...
we'll see... By the fall they will leak somewhere...