View Full Version : Who's getting Squid??

macojoe
05-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Must be starting to pick up around the Cape now??

Seen the dragers in Vinyard sound, and have also heard some boats working off Hyannis.

Whats the scoop guys?

Don't tell me that squid is part of the, no burning spots list? There only here for a short time.

I am planing a boat trip for squid real soon!! I am hungry now!!:drool:

luds
05-03-2006, 06:13 PM
***deleted....somehow posted this in the wrong thread***

macojoe
05-03-2006, 06:15 PM
I didn't buy it, I sold it!

stiff tip
05-03-2006, 06:15 PM
head to hyannis area lots of squid day boats there now !!!! draggers out frout ues the jap jigs ,,hot pink or green

macojoe
05-03-2006, 06:23 PM
thanks stiff!! I will have to drive over with the glasses and see what I can see?
Maybe I go sun or something and give it a whirl!!

Anyone else have any Squid reports??

Notaro
05-03-2006, 07:12 PM
I only got them in RI. It was pretty slow.

ELIMooncusser
05-03-2006, 07:55 PM
:kewl: we 've got em down here at Greenport LI

Goose
05-03-2006, 08:34 PM
closest to you Joe.. check the fish docks under the light in pleasant bay, I gotum there up until 2nd week of june...they where here thick for about a week ..now nada

Notaro
05-03-2006, 10:16 PM
closest to you Joe.. check the fish docks under the light in pleasant bay, I gotum there up until 2nd week of june...they where here thick for about a week ..now nada
Even at the WH?

macojoe
05-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks all!

I will list my findings here when I go.

King Neptune
05-04-2006, 08:01 AM
I caught a couple squidberts last thursday (April 27) in Falmouth Harbor. Went back the next night and got Nada. There should be decent numbers by this weekend. Usually you catch the jumbo "Capt Nemo" size ones early in the run.

macojoe
05-04-2006, 09:27 AM
I havew heard with this NE we just came out of that they might be blowen in now??
Of coarse I have M,T,W off and now I have tio go back to work, and I work nights :huh:

bloocrab
05-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Joe,,,

Go to where you normally catch squid this time of year.........they've been waiting for you for some time now. Almost 3 weeks now and counting in my area..which is about 40min. from Falmth, some nights are better than others...even the daytime bite has been on. AND YES, there can be some mighty BIG squid mixed in...cannibals they are, many of the large had 3" baby squid in em...kind of the same size and look of a squid jig ;)......

macojoe
05-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks Bloo!!

But I have never really went squid fishing before :smash: a few times on a dock here and there.

So this is all new to me, I know you don't need to be a rocket scientist, just needed a good place to go.

Trying to off set the gas this year with getting all my own bait.

ProfessorM
05-04-2006, 11:26 AM
My fellow worker has a slip in Hyannis and told me they have been in Hyannis harbor for a few weeks. P.

keeperreaper
05-04-2006, 11:30 AM
best bet so far has been falmouth harbor.

FishWebb
05-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Caught one while wading the other night!
They are around Falmouth and so are the squid boats.

RickBomba
05-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Not to hijack, but WTH did you come from bloo???
Good to hear from you again!
Later,
Bomba

Pt.JudeJoe
05-04-2006, 11:13 PM
Got a 1/2 bucket in Newport tonight....fresh calamari at the Habratory tomorrow.:bounce:

stiff tip
05-05-2006, 05:27 AM
schoolies everywhere 16 to 24" s-cape beach .squid boats out front draggin ..sm. boats too..nice day to go fishing!!!!!dead carm,, 53* @johns pond ,mashpee ,,, good day 4 the cc canal {ccc}

bloocrab
05-05-2006, 06:42 AM
Not to re-hijack, but...thanks Rick....nice to know I was missed :love:

Joe, the squid were there ALL day long - I had tog chowder and some baked-stuffed LULA (squid) last night...yummmy!,,,

Alls I know is that who-ever wants some better get their :bshake: in gear....it ain't gonna last 4-eva.

Mr. Sandman
05-05-2006, 07:28 AM
Yeah I hear Newport is thick with them. I went (in my neck of the woods) last night and got them but it was a slow pick, good size though. I plan on eating them tonight. I think in another few days it will start getting good. (lots of life in the water)

Natoro, (read yesterdays OTW online report) get down there with your 6 gal bucket. (The weekend will be a mob scene, go down during the week late!)

shadow
05-05-2006, 06:07 PM
what size do you guys like for eating? someone said the big ones are only good for bait?I went today for the first time.only came home with the bigger sized ones.

macojoe
05-05-2006, 07:10 PM
O baby!! I am going to go Mon. I have M, T, W off :beat:

But I also heard that they are great just before, during, and after the full moon, so I have taken Fri and Sat off next week end for the Moon!!

kippy
05-05-2006, 09:06 PM
I'm heading out next weekend to the cape, hope to get some bait!:bounce:

macojoe
05-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Went to Chatam last night, No Squid Lots of small 12 to 18" Bass, Catch with top water stuff, catch all you want!

Took the boat, went to Stage, Oyster River, out a little way. Came in and pulled out launched at Ryders, fished all of Pleasent bay, Not a Squid to be had, and it was high tide.

Was hoping to do the Full Moon this weekend, but this rain going to be here all the way till sun at least!!:nailem:
The wind also, never mind that we will never be able to see the moon any way.

O well I will try again.

Swimmer
05-10-2006, 07:43 AM
Sunday just off So. Cape beach there were enough squid boats to walk from one to the other almost. No boofish though.

likwid
05-10-2006, 07:55 AM
Sunday just off So. Cape beach there were enough squid boats to walk from one to the other almost. No boofish though.

Yep, they were out there over the weekend too.

macojoe
05-10-2006, 10:02 AM
I have Fri and Sat off from work I am going to be there as long as the wind stays down, but thats not likely the way the weather looks, maybe I go and try from the docks?

Mr. Sandman
05-10-2006, 04:20 PM
They started here but the last two nights have been very slow. The wind and weather must have had something to do with it, it just shut down just a few loners. (which i ate)
I will check it every night and then hit it hard when they blitz the harbor.

I like it when a giant fleet of them swarm in and it is an instanteous game. Have not seen that yet...

Goose
05-10-2006, 06:06 PM
don't give up on pleasant bay,,, I fished tri-state with MSBA june 6ish one year and they where there in good numbers and size too

macojoe
05-10-2006, 07:25 PM
I hoope I can get there this Sat. It is the full moon not that we are going to see it :doh: And I took the day out of work for the full moon.

I hope you get them sandman!! With the Dragers inside this year I wonder if they will get in there?

I might have to just buy them off the big boat if I can't get to them.