View Full Version : Digital Camera's.... do tell....

leptar
05-05-2006, 10:14 PM
First let me apoligize for asking too many questions.

So what are you folks using for digitals? Please do tell of your experiences such as battery life, camera speed (from on to take the first picture and from first to second photo), photo quality (low light, sunny, overcast, dark), and the big one "durability" (how many times have you dropped it, sat on it, got it splashed on, ect....

I want to get a camera so i can look back at photos since i will be taking my son with me now, I was considering the Pentax Optio WP line but read a couple of reviews that they weren't the hardiest of digitals. I don't plan on taking them underwater but would like to keep it on me while i'm fishing so more then likely it will get splashed upon and being water resistant to me means that i can rinse it in freshwater to clean it.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

tattoobob
05-05-2006, 10:26 PM
What's your price range?

leptar
05-05-2006, 10:45 PM
around $400.

tattoobob
05-05-2006, 10:53 PM
I have a Olympus stylus 400, 4.0 mp
it is water resistant and an all around good camera
small and easy to carry. I usually put it in a zip lock
I believe it cost around 400$ has a recargable Battery

Backbeach Jake
05-05-2006, 10:56 PM
My beach beater is a HP315. Pissa Camera. When I can sneak it out I take the wife's Konica 5200. Wicked Pissa Camera!

leptar
05-06-2006, 11:28 AM
thanks guys... i was looking for some other options... talked to a few other people about cameras and they all carry "beaters" but in my hands they just do not last, I need something i can keep on me but for a camera i want something that will get the job done today, tomorrow..... get wet no worries... I didn't think Olympus made a water resistant camera i'm going to check out the stylus... Thanks tattoobob

Backbeach Jake, Konica/Minolta made some really sweet high end cameras. I tried to find that model but ended up finding out that they got out of the camera business back in the end of March of this year. Thanks

Skip N
05-06-2006, 12:08 PM
I have an Olympus Stylus also. Its NOT waterproof by any means. Its what they call weather resistant. If you get caught in the rain for a few minutes your camera will not get wrecked and will work fine. If you drp it in the ocean and let it sit thier for 30 seconds i'm thinking you might be screwed. Great camera though, good to know if you get caught in a downpour your camera won't get wrecked from a couple minutes of getting rained on. But i'd still be cautious of just how much water you get on it

"uffah!!"
05-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Are digital cameras damaged by saltwater? I took someones advice the other night, and took my two granddaughters, fishing we did real good. We caught 8 schoolie bass between 14 and 16 inches. The kids went crazy. They are 7yrs.and 4yrs. old. They didn't know what to do. I tried to get a picture of then, but slipped on a rock and in went the camera, bounced a couple of times, and in the water. I hope not! I'll hate to have to buy another.I liked this one. It was a 3.1 Kodak CX6330. I could even take movies with it. Nice camera!! But, anyway, thanks F18. You were right. I also got a couple of real nice Hits on that large White eel,but no takers.

Skip N
05-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Yeah my favorite feature on my Olympus is the 30 second video clips w/ sound you can take. Gotta have a video if you come across a monster blitz somewhere!

NIB
05-06-2006, 04:34 PM
They make these cool lexan covers for camera's now.They are basically built to the exact specs of the camera but bigger with buttons a dials an the hole nine yds.look up sony an go to there sony store for the camera do-dads.U'll find em there my friend has one good to 30 meters reall neat.

toddonbi
05-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Check out the Pentax Optio WP digitals online, a friend has one and when it gets dirty he washes it in the sink-nuts but true. I forget how far underwater it can go three feet? Takes good pics too. I'll be buying one soon as I can find a deal. I've seen them from 270-400 bucks. I think it floats too.

tattoobob
05-06-2006, 06:39 PM
I have an Olympus Stylus also. Its NOT waterproof by any means. Its what they call weather resistant. If you get caught in the rain for a few minutes your camera will not get wrecked and will work fine. If you drp it in the ocean and let it sit thier for 30 seconds i'm thinking you might be screwed. Great camera though, good to know if you get caught in a downpour your camera won't get wrecked from a couple minutes of getting rained on. But i'd still be cautious of just how much water you get on it

That's why I keep mine in a zip lock bag I also throw in a silica gel pack

labrax
05-06-2006, 06:44 PM
I have used a sony for 5 years now and it is time to replace it - 2MP. I am looking for a camera I can use rechargable AA batteries with and use either a compact flash or SD memory card - not proprietary memory like the Sony. I want a optical viewfinder as looking at some of the LCD screens in bright sunlight is next to impossible sometimes. I have decided on the Canon PowerShot 620 a 5MP which rates well for quality of photo image and not bad with follow-up shots. I looked online and found it for $209, which can be a lot less than the local electronics retailers are offering them for.

Another manufacturer I was looking at was the Panasonic brand - the selling point was that they have a image stabilization feature that will improve some shots.

The Pentax Optio WP - has some fisherman sold as the camera for them. I have heard that they work great and the ability to take one of those half-in/half-out of the water shots is appealing.

Good luck,

Pete

Squid kids Dad
05-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Check out B&H.com.for prices..I just bought a Kodak from them..Best price by $30..Was at my house within 2 days..

leptar
05-07-2006, 07:23 AM
Ya the water resistant part is kinda scary... Although it does take really sweet pictures i am going to really give the Stylus and the Optio a really good look over before making a desisson.

Check out B&H.com.for prices..I just bought a Kodak from them..Best price by $30..Was at my house within 2 days.. They have great prices, and they have awsome reviews. (http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1914.html) for a NY camera shop.