View Full Version : shad fishin-who ?????

stiff tip
05-08-2006, 05:53 AM
:call: went shad fishin @ conn rv holyoke 1/2 mi dwn from the dam....rv was ideal cond :claps: some sm jacks 3-4 lbs..5 to 10 fish per man..some guys savin sm shad for chunk bait for bass. they look+ smell like herrin to me,,and you get 4 lbs of bait per fish ..i,ll try it at the canal + off the boat.:wid: ..anyways i saw LOTS of st-bass at the conn rv ..75 mi inland at where i was fishin shad??? lots of mid size fish maybe 10 -15 lbs brakin on the surface on sm bait ?? :btu: river conditions alike the cc canal but much shallower 3to6 '...i;d love to fish a p-popper on the drift. canal style i think they;ed like that ?????:happy: :huh:

keeperreaper
05-08-2006, 06:36 AM
That area is really good for bass. I have in the past taken some large bass out of there. The S. Hadley side has a large hole that produced in the past. It gets sketchy down there at night with a LOT of persona non grata type losers. Overall that area might be the best place to shad fish anywhere on the river. Try livelining a small shad look like the results. Clip a fin to slow him down.

Rappin Mikey
05-08-2006, 08:24 AM
There's no fish in South Hadley, and definitely none in Holyoke. The shad are really starting to move in. Saw a ton while striper fishing this morning.

stiff tip
05-08-2006, 09:01 AM
There's no fish in South Hadley, and definitely none in Holyoke. The shad are really starting to move in. Saw a ton while striper fishing this morning.
ahhh... mike ....fished at s-hadley on sat ....w/ 10 shad men.. over the wall at the old mills ... we got about 50 to 60 shad all sm males ...saw lots of s- bass too.....

Mike P
05-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Good there for p=poppers Canal style?? What does your gut tell you, Dave? :uhuh: ;) :humpty:

Rappin Mikey
05-08-2006, 11:24 AM
When I'm not throwing assassins in the river, all I throw is canal specials.

Notaro
05-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Shads...cool, when do they move into SoCo? I love fishing for shads.