View Full Version : Keeping eelskins question

Spare Spool
04-25-2002, 07:52 AM
For those of you who fish with skins, what is your preferred method for storage? Do you keep the skins in a brine solution in the fridge? Do you just salt them down and keep them in the fridge? Do you salt them down and then freeze them? I know all methods are OK for keeping skins just wondering what everyone else does. Is one method better than the others? Thanks.

Salty
04-25-2002, 08:55 AM
I always kept mine in a brine solution, sealed in a glass air tight jar, they will keep a long time.

Saltheart
04-25-2002, 12:08 PM
Salt them heavily, lay them down at full length in a sealed tupperware container and keep in the fridge.

JPowers
04-25-2002, 01:06 PM
What saltheart said. However, to be truly a skin maniac - salt both sides of the skins. That means you have to turn the skins right side out ( black side) after salting the blue side. That way the whole skin is salted. If you look inside a new skin ( blue side out) you'll see all the slime in there - that slime will rot .

Spare Spool
04-25-2002, 02:30 PM
OK, now that begs another question. Which side to you prefer to fish, the blue or the black?

JPowers
04-25-2002, 02:54 PM
The magic question. Me, I carry 3-4 of each - blue side, black side. Whichever works - works. That said, I go black at night and blue from predawn to after sunup. Ya never know.

Saltheart
04-25-2002, 03:22 PM
I always used them inside out but have heard of lots of success with the black side out too.

JPowers has the right idea. If you ain't getting any , try something different. When you find something that works stick to it!!

Another interesting area is how much of the skin to hang off the back. Some guys want every millimeter they can get. Some purposely shorten up the skin to give it a bait fish profile rather than a long eel profile. The trick the is to try it all different ways and see what works best for you on average but also change to other styles if they ain't biting.