View Full Version : Finnesse fishing for stripers

steelhead
05-09-2006, 05:47 PM
This weekend, I was introduced to a very interesting way to fish for stripers in current. Basically, it's taking a 3" plastic grub on very light weight jigs (1/32 up to 1/4 ounce) and drifting them thru the seams in the current, lets say behind the pilings of a bridge, using very light weight spin tackle and line like you'd use for steelhead or fresh water bass fishing. You control the depth of the drift by the weight of the jig and the size of the grub. I was amazed at how far you can drift these little guys and in the right hands, how much control you have over the drift. And I was really inpressed at how effective it was in the fish catching category.

At any rate, I came home Saturday night all fired up and headed out to one of my favorite little outflows up here on the North Shore. After fiddling with jigs and grubs, I got 4 nice fish in the space of about 40 minutes, including my first keepah sized bass of the season.

I was curious if anybody else has seen this technique or uses it for stripers.

gone fishin
05-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Yep - been doing it for a long time. Also works with medium tackle, casting and jigging on the retrieve. Schoolies kill the grubs:as:

riverrat2
05-09-2006, 07:36 PM
I thought the grubs were a little secret I had, guess not. I fish them real slow, rod tip up with the occasional twitch and drop:humpty: . I am going to try some of the bigger ones of the beach when some bigger fish move in.

steelhead
05-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Tell me more. How, when. What do you use, etc. This is a fascinating way to fish for these guys.

riverrat2
05-09-2006, 08:03 PM
This year I have been using a 1/2 owner jig head with a grey with black fleck 4" grub, I forget who makes them I will find out for ya. I fish them slooowww, in current and a little faster on the open beach. In the river I let the current move the tail and keep the line just tight enough to keep it off the bottom. The key is to fit the right size grub with the right size jighead so that it doesn't sink like a rock. Its simple but definetly effective for the schoolies. I don't see why it wouldn't work for bigger fish either.

gone fishin
05-09-2006, 09:09 PM
I also use them on a heavy jig such as the canal special when I don't want the jig to sink too fast. Used in place of pork rind! Sometimes I use it in the surf behind a crippled herring. Blues love em:crying:

Clammer
05-09-2006, 11:32 PM
ancient history //:sleeps:

steelhead
05-10-2006, 06:48 AM
When you guys say slow, are you reeling or letting the jig drift?
How are controling the drift and the depth of the drift?