View Full Version : black salties-cannot ship to ri

parker23
05-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Hey Gang,
I rec'd a call from Anderson Bait (blk salties farm). My order that was scheduled for delivery Friday am has been canceled.

An interim director at the DEM must perform "his own studies" before he will let them into RI waters. Texas A&M Univ helped develop this fish and has given their blessing over the distribution of the fish.

These fish are large goldfish. How many pet stores sell goldfish? How many pet stores sell much more exotic fish than goldfish??

I have 2 calls into this guy at the DEM. If I do not receive a reply by noon Friday, I will post his contact info.
This winter, I have done alot of research on this bait. They are glorified goldfish, that's it. Their size comes from the amount of food they are fed.

I have spoken to the good folks at Anderson and they are very frustrated. They had permission from the past director that left at end of the year. Now the new guy will not allow them until he has performed his own studies. This new guy does not have any advanced degrees in Marine Fisheries and he will not accept studies by performed by premier Universities in Texas and California. If it is ok in the state of California, that has been on the environment's side of all issues, then in my humble opinion RI should welcome the new bait.

I will have all contact info on this site if i have not rec'd a response from the DEM fellow.

I am the first guy to follow the rules of the road. I do not keep short fish, I do not litter and I respect other boaters on the water. I am a little ticked at the new DEM fellow that decides that the former director's opinion based on years of expereince holds no merit.

See you at noon Friday.
Bruce

spence
05-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Mass doesn't allow these to be imported...right?

Unless the previous director had documented his decision, I'd be suprised if the new director didn't want to ensure this was the right move for the State.

If he just rubberstamped something without understanding or legal basis, he wouldn't be doing his job.

-spence

likwid
05-12-2006, 06:26 AM
Spence is right, and what does it matter if he dosen't have the degree?

I'd rather they not allow it until ANY research is done than allow it and screw up the ecosystem more somehow.

You know, kinda like letting herring boats in Narr Bay?

Striperhound
05-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Look at the Providence Journal online, Tom Meade sang the praises of Black Salties this week as well. Will he have to run a retraction?

slapshot
05-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Why bust the guys balls, he is only doing his job. I don't think they are allowed in CT either. In fact we have had more than 3 years of herring restrictions. We still catch huge fish, just need to improvise with what is available. There are plenty of locally available baits that will catch without having them shipped from out of State.

Adamfishes
05-12-2006, 01:21 PM
http://www.oceanstatetackle.com/

says they got em

spence
05-12-2006, 01:26 PM
http://www.oceanstatetackle.com/

says they got em
Well, it's on the site...but it doesn't actually say they have them.

I would assume an import permit is required to transport them into the state. If the past director gave them a verbal "ok" but they never actually got the permit it would certainly explain their problems :)

-spence

ThrowingTimber
05-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Went into the shop mentioned two posts up yesterday I know Dave and Nina (shop owners) pretty well and went for no bs see for myself type of deal. They do intend to carry them. They did not have any at the shop as they are being held up. Nina did mention that they are sterilized during the breeding process.

Dave, did have a recent outing where he had 48 of them and landed 52 bass on them.

I was curious as to their size. Im a shad/ bluefish guy for the most part but I dont like to get locked into something where I overlook other stuff. So I went and checked it out.

CaptDom
05-12-2006, 06:48 PM
An awful lot of time and energy was spent in June of 2005 to educate and inform the state of the history, taxonomy, and research that has gone into this baitfish. The state issued a permit in late June 2005 to Anderson farms for the importation of this baitfish via FedEx, it has since been placed on temporary hold.
The RI DEM did not circulate the info, and as a result now that widespread distribution is intended, they want to meet on this issue to consider all factors. RI Title 20-11-7 clearly defines a minnow as the young of any freshwater species not of the prohibited mentioned gamefish like smallmouth and other species including herring. Nowhere does it prohibit the use of goldfish as a bait in any RIGL, code, or published regulation, and under those two premises the Black Salty was imported with the proper minnow license.
There is a new board called the RI Bio Security Council, made up of 7 members of the state connected to wildlife and its management, in conjunction with the CRMC. It is they who will determine its status now, after the 9 months of importation already past, to be sure it poses no threats to RI watersheds and the inhabitants of them.
Most of you would be interested to know that CA, the state with the strictest environmental regulations in the nation, has permitted this fish to be imported into their state, and has prohibited it's use in their freshwater impoundments and rivers. Goldfish currently reside in all states except Alaska, and have for over 400 years been imported into this country. It is not an Asian carp, or any other cyprinid deemed detrimental and invasive. Long term(50 plus year) studies have been made on the Carrasius auratus, or goldfish, and their effects on other native species, with no reported problems as to invading any bodies of water and displacing or disrupting native inhabitants. The USDA and USGS have both certified that this fish has not been genetically manipulated or altered or modified in any way, by the definition used internationally by the Codex Alimentarious commission, and it has been certified that this fish has been reared in a purely conventional, time tested and approved manner.
The fact remains that permits were given, and much time, effort and money was spent insuring that this was done legally and effectively. Now that DEM has stalled the projects, the minnow farm and distributors here in RI are suffering an unfair burden, as are those who intend to use them as baits. All efforts were done in accordance and with direction from RI DEM, so any delays or stalling are not by any caused by associated interests in this baitfish.
These fish reside in every petshop in the state, as well as many private ponds and homes. If the Bio Security Council decides this fish is a bio hazard or invasive species, get ready for some major fallout in many other sectors besides the fishing realm. Can you imagine telling a child that their pet goldfish has to be taken from them? Or the petshops reaction to no more feeder fish or ornamental goldfish being allowed? This has farther reaching ramifications that I'm not sure are being considered.
I'm all for precautions, but this is absurd. These fish have been legal in this state for many, many years, and to now meet as to the species acceptability as an imported creature is just insane after all this time. There are volumes of studies on the permissibility of goldfish as bait, and no legal rulings which can be cited to currently not allow them into the state or their use as a baitfish, not to mention the very real stress this could take off the herring, menhaden, and American eel.

eelman
05-12-2006, 07:52 PM
I am with you, it is plain stupid and this state showing its colors yet again....... Hopefully it all works out, if not head for the petshop and buy ther goldfish:kewl:

spence
05-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Given the raw numbers of fish potentially to be imported, to equate this with "pet shop" goldfish smacks of spin.

If the importer doesn't have a permit good for this year then they will have to follow the existing process, even if it's different.

I'm not trying to be a #^&#^&#^&#^& here, but I just don't see how the economic welfare of a few baitshops would be really harmed by a product that they've never sold...assuming the state has a valid legal reason to delay or forbid the sale as neighboring states have.

-spence

Jay Dog
05-12-2006, 08:31 PM
I think we need to seperate the goldfish vs bait issue. You can buy goldfish in Ct but according to the regs you cannot use goldfish for bait. This discussion is about using them in Saltwater what does happen if they get released in freshwater how big will they get, will they breed? What's the affect on other species. Down south there may be enough natural predators to keep them in check how about up here?

spence
05-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Reading the RI reg on the Chapter 20-10 Aquculture Biosecurity Board, it would seem the state has the issue under control.

Contrary to Parker23's initial post the law dictates a reasonable level of expertise to evaluate the situation for application of importation permits.

If both MA and CT have denied permits, I wouldn't expect to see them in RI...but given how this state works...who knows :confused:

-spence

CaptDom
05-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Given the raw numbers of fish potentially to be imported, to equate this with "pet shop" goldfish smacks of spin.

If the importer doesn't have a permit good for this year then they will have to follow the existing process, even if it's different.

I'm not trying to be a #^&#^&#^&#^& here, but I just don't see how the economic welfare of a few baitshops would be really harmed by a product that they've never sold...assuming the state has a valid legal reason to delay or forbid the sale as neighboring states have.

-spence

Again, the importer renewed the permit for 2006, but it is now on hold. What you are not realizing is that if the bio security council rules that the Carrasius auratus is a threat, ALL importation will have to stop. Its not just the fishing realm this will affect. How can you differentiate a fish with the exact taxonomy(genetic makeup) and exact latin scientific name simply because of where it sold? The answer is you can't. The fact remains that no law exists prohibiting their use as a bait in RI, period. You can't make up the rules as you go. They have had over 200 years to put a rule in the books dealing with this fish, and they didn't do it.

Neighboring states never gave a permit in the first place, the issue here is a permit was given, so the minnow farm spent tons of money dedicating several ponds to grow their minnows larger for use here, spent tons of money to advertise them and develop a distributorship, as have many local baitshops under the pretense that a permit was issued already(in 2005 and 2006).Advertising, live wells, and time =$$. The economic impact will also affect every petshop in the state, and every school child who keeps one as a pet as it is the importation of the fish they are challenging, if denied, all goldfish will have to be banned or they will be in violation of the ruling.
Their are studies galore on this fish and its supposed impacts, available to anyone who asks the for them or has the inclination to inform themselves; god forbid anyone actually do a little research before weighing in on anything:hee: . 80 years of use as a bait in both salt and fresh water in Texas should be an ample study sampling, don't you think? The amount of predators in the watersheds down there does not differ substantially from any other states, nor does how or what they eat.

CaptDom
05-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Reading the RI reg on the Chapter 20-10 Aquculture Biosecurity Board, it would seem the state has the issue under control.

Contrary to Parker23's initial post the law dictates a reasonable level of expertise to evaluate the situation for application of importation permits.

If both MA and CT have denied permits, I wouldn't expect to see them in RI...but given how this state works...who knows :confused:

-spence

§ 20-10-1.2 Biosecurity Board – Powers and duties. – It shall be the duty of the biosecurity board to assist and advise the council in carrying out the provisions of this chapter. In performing this duty, the biosecurity board shall cooperate with appropriate state and federal agencies, including but not limited to the department of health, and shall recommend inspections as necessary to ensure compliance with public health standards. The biosecurity board shall from time to time review federal agency regulations pertaining to aquaculture disease and the importation of non-indigenous and genetically altered species and shall otherwise maintain a current understanding of aquatic diseases and management practices necessary to preserving the aquaculture industry and wild stock. The members of the biosecurity board shall serve without salary.

Title 20-10 chapter deals with Aquaculture, and why this board was created. This fish does not fall under that category, by the following definition: § 20-10-2 Definitions. – As used in this chapter:

(1) "Aquaculture" refers to the cultivation, rearing, or propagation of aquatic plants or animals under either natural or artificial conditions;

Read there where it mandates that they consult the appropriate federal and state agencies..... If they had, they should have no problems. These fish are shipped internationally by the minnow farm with all appropriate health certificates and permits, and are federally legal....

Furthermore:
§ 20-11-7 License required for selling fresh water minnows. – It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or barter or engage in the business of taking or catching for the purpose of selling or bartering fresh water live minnows for bait, or to possess more than one hundred (100) fresh water live minnows, without first procuring a license from the department of environmental management. For the purpose of this chapter, "fresh water minnows" shall be defined to include all minnows and the young of all species of fresh water fish except the game species, trout, northern pike, pickerel, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, shad, Atlantic salmon, and alewives.

This is the permit given to the minnow farm and the local distributor. The definition is clear cut. This is a minnow by their own ruling.

MA and CT both have rulings and laws already in place dealing with prohibition of goldfish and use as a bait in inland FRESH waters. MA marine division says it is legal to use as bait in MARINE waters. Sale and importation are different than useage. The issue at stake and affect here is the RI DEM's intial permitting and subsequent back-tracking after the fact(almost a year), and the fact that no laws exist for the denial or delay of importation......

basswipe
05-12-2006, 10:47 PM
As far as a little research goes the Black Salty is none of these:
http://species.fishindex.com/species_3193carassius_auratus_auratus_goldfish.htm l
Related yes...carassius auratus no.Its an engineered fish.

RI has had over 200 years to put a rule in the books?How do you come up with that?They've been tested in TX for 80yrs?Huh?Anderson Farms has only been in business 50yrs.The Black Salty itself beginnings were in the 90s.

As far as predators in other watersheds like in TX.Lets see there's Stripers,Hybrid Stripers,Redfish,Corvina,Gar,several Catfish species.
None of these can be found in NE waters.

The Black Salty has potential but I see a little more scientific research needing to be done before I want it here.

Btw quote all the rules and regs you want it ain't a minnow its a member of the goldfish family.

basswipe
05-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Cap you either gotta be a salesman for Anderson or a stock holder in the company.You're WAY to defensive over these fish.Your life doesn't depend on these fish does it?

I'm done with this thread.Time to head BACK out and get MORE bass.

CaptDom
05-12-2006, 11:27 PM
As far as a little research goes the Black Salty is none of these:
http://species.fishindex.com/species_3193carassius_auratus_auratus_goldfish.htm l
Related yes...carassius auratus no.Its an engineered fish.

RI has had over 200 years to put a rule in the books?How do you come up with that?They've been tested in TX for 80yrs?Huh?Anderson Farms has only been in business 50yrs.The Black Salty itself beginnings were in the 90s.

As far as predators in other watersheds like in TX.Lets see there's Stripers,Hybrid Stripers,Redfish,Corvina,Gar,several Catfish species.
None of these can be found in NE waters.

The Black Salty has potential but I see a little more scientific research needing to be done before I want it here.

The first recorded goldfish was imported in RI in the early 1800's. By my math that makes 200 years or so.

The bottom picture in your link is of the dark variety carrasius auratus, which is the INTERNATIONALLY CERTIFIED taxonomy of the Black Salty. That picture looks like the majority of the Black Saltys shipped on a regular basis. The Black Salty is a Goldfish, plain and simple, its beginnings were hundreds of years ago, its trademarked and copyrighted nickname were created in the late 90's after much consideration by the farm that decided to market them.

Goldfish dark and orange variety, have been used in TX as a bait for 80 plus years, again the Black Salty is a common goldfish with advanced selective breeding techniques to exhibit remarkable short term salt water survival.

The amount, or distribution percentage of predators in each states watershed is waht I was referring to, not species. Last I checked we had several species of catfish, stripers, and a few predators Texas doesn't have. Thank god we don't have hybrid stripers, in my opinion. The fact remains that in any body of water, a chain exists and resident fish will occupy a percentage of the given biomass for each specific body of water. The distributions of these fish does not greatly vary in any way in almost all closed environments in the US except where an invasive species has wreaked havoc.

Before you go claiming something was engineered, do your homework. The term genetically modified, engineered, or altered has a very specific and exact definition as deemed by the international governing body Codex Alimentarious Commission. Since the breeding techniques used by Anderson farms do not alter or modify the gene makeup of these fish, and they use commonly practiced selective breeding techniques, this exludes the fish from any association with a genetically manipulated organism.
The USDA defines the term "genetically modified" to mean methods "including cell fusion, microencapsulation, recombitant DNA technology(including gene deletion, gene doubling, introducing a foreign gene, and changing positions of genes). they further state in CFR 7 205.2 the term genetically modified, altered, or engineered specifically excludes "traditional breeding including selective breeding practices, fermentation, or in vitro fertilization."

CFR 40 725.455 states the EPA succintly defines "genetic modification, alteration, or engineering as introduced genetic material".

Under even the broadest definition these fish do not even come close to being genetically engineered, manipulated, or altered, period. Quit claiming otherwise.

Selective breeding practices have been used in the US since the 1700's, in everything from horses, cattle, pigs, chickens, and many other animals. For that matter, humans engage in selective breeding by seeking out a well formed, healthy, and attractive mate to reproduce.

If you want volumes of scientific research, I can provide you with that as well. The State of RI and most other states defers to the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluffs for their taxonomy and studies in regards to fisheries/aquaculture, and this UAPB authority conducted a five year study of many different aspects of this fish, with many publications put forth as a result, including but not limited to its taxonomy; common goldfish, dark variety. All the research one could want has already been conducted, so no further tests should be needed. In addition, the USDA, USGS in conjunction with APHIS, and the US Fish and Wildlife all have done studies and rendered very similar conclusions and research in regards to the impact of this fish on native species. They all seem to state unequivocably that these fish are not an invasive species anywhere they currently inhabit in the wild.Every state except Alaska has resident goldfish in the wild, and 46 states have breeding populations, including RI. That would pretty much conclude that they are an acceptable species on a national level, no?

PM me with your email address if you want hard copies of all these studies and certifications, don't just take my word for it. Knowledge is essential for any informed decisions.

btw, i never claimed it was a minnow, the state of RI did by their own definition. I always asserted it was a goldfish.

CaptDom
05-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Cap you either gotta be a salesman for Anderson or a stock holder in the company.You're WAY to defensive over these fish.Your life doesn't depend on these fish does it?

I'm done with this thread.Time to head BACK out and get MORE bass.

Actually I am the RI distributor for these if the RI DEM decides to lift their ban. My life doesn't depend on it, but I obviously have interests in it. I live on Aquidneck Island, and fish the same waters as you on a daily basis throughout the year. I also hold a Biology degree, and run a charter outfit as well. I am merely trying to educate the public when it puts forth misinformation and conjecture. It is natural for anyone with a vested interst whether it be economic, emotional, or otherwise to defend something that is important to them. I have done major research over the last year and a half, and spent alot of time and energy working within the guidelines of the RI general laws to insure this fish was safe and legal. I care very much about our resources here, as my livelihood depends on a healthy and diverse coastal watershed. Without it I would be out of work. I would certainly not jeapordize it in any way, and in my very informed opinion this fish can only help take the pressure off the herring, menhaden, and eel stocks while presenting no threat to the "native species"( Many of which were not indigenous but are now referred to as native, i.e largemouth bass). Not to mention make me a bit of much needed money.

PS, I had bass up to 18 pounds in the bay the last 3 days. Our charter on Thur. had over 130 bass to the boat, 29 of them keepers. Many were caught on the Black Salty.:o

basswipe
05-12-2006, 11:47 PM
Exactly.You have a vested interest.Imagine that.

CaptDom
05-12-2006, 11:56 PM
Exactly.You have a vested interest.Imagine that.

In more ways than one, as I stated. I see no problem with my "vested"association with this, or my correction of gross mis statements and outright fallicies, anyone would do the same. Nor am I being malicious in any way here, I am merely stating facts as opposed to conjecture. I wonder why you have such a problem with the baits and indirectly me?

basswipe
05-13-2006, 12:17 AM
I guess you haven't really read any of my posts then.Exactly where in my posts did I say I have problem with "the baits" or indirectly with you?

Originally all I stated was I was concerned with invasive freshwater species, the black salty being possibly an invasive species.

As far as facts go you ain't posting any.

PS.Sorry Joe I know you started this thread as something informative but its got out of hand.My apoligies.

Relax cappy.Let it go.

This being the original thread:http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=31075

CaptDom
05-13-2006, 12:26 AM
exactly, vested interest, imagine that. Thats not steeped in sarcasm, as are prior comments? Maybe I misunderstood you and if the case, I apologize.

As to facts, thats all I have stated and have cited the places and people I got them from. I have obviously read all your posts, and gather that you have some inherent problem or concern with these baits. Again, maybe I misunderstood or misinterpreted your opinions?

basswipe
05-13-2006, 12:35 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

When that's the most important thing everything else suffers.Enjoy your money.Black $alties$.

CaptDom
05-13-2006, 12:46 AM
Never said $$ was the most important thing, as I would like to see a healthier environment, and would like to have a readily available bait as well for my clients to enjoy a better catch rate. That would make me and them happy. I certainly need money, especially since fuel prices and troubled fish stocks have cut into my livelihood quite a bit in recent years. I did my homework and got lucky enough to get into a venture at the ground level, and I hope it gets approval, for numerous reasons, including money. Why else does one go into business?
I guess my impressions of your problem with me were on the money, pun intended there:usd: . I am sorry if you think money is a problem, but I am a young guy with not much net worth, and would like to increase that. I also would like to see fish stocks rebound, and that includes herring, menhaden, and eels, which I feel this fish would help in that vein. Hope you have a good season basswipe, with or without Black Salties as your bait.

basswipe
05-13-2006, 12:50 AM
In the end its all cool Dom.

What it comes down to is we all want to fish.

I guess for me its easy...all I do is throw plugs.

CaptDom
05-13-2006, 01:07 AM
You a night owl like me too, I guess. You got it right there, with the fishing part. Maybe you could come up with the black salty imitator plug, and make money for you too:rolleyes: The upper bay is filling in with bigger fish, and this weather along with my week long dealings with the government channels has gotten me overly anxious. Just frustrated because I thought I had done all necessary things to stay above the radar and within responsible parameters. I know you are just concerned with the environment, as all fisherman are to varying extent. Again, have a great season, hope you catch em up!

Moses
05-13-2006, 05:43 AM
Lots of good info in here. I've been watching what is going to happen with these for 2 years now. It'll be interesting since to some degree I do think having this bait available will take needed pressure off herring, eels, etc.. as Capt suggests.

So Capt Dom, please keep posting updates. And of course anyone else with an opinion should also....

CaptDom
05-22-2006, 04:11 PM
The DEM officially released an emergency measure banning all goldfish, including the Black Salty from FRESHWATER use. They went on to okay our permit to import, and thus allowing the Black Salty to be shipped into RI for saltwater use as a bait. I was surprised how quickly this got resolved considering what I heard it could take. The fact that a high ranking State Police official used some before the ban might have helped.:jump1:

Sam's Bait and Tackle, Wildwood Outfitters, Ocean State Tackle(both), Riverside, and Lucky's will have them, and Snug Harbor will have the striper size, as well as the fluke size, all shops will have them by Friday afternoon, just in time for the holiday weekend. Anyone interested in further info please PM me.
As a side note, I had bass up to 33 pounds today up the bay, they were under massive schools of adult pogies!! Get ready for the big girls!!!:buds:

Skitterpop
05-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Who needs the black goldfish. If you can`t catch fish without bait you might as well take up golf.

IMO they are a waste of money and energy handling them.

Now bellbottoms....that was a worthwhile craze :bl2:

oh yeah........ SPAM SPAM SPAM WONDERFUL SPAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnR
05-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Capt Dom - are you in any way affiliated with Black Salties or those shops?

Thanks,

John

RIROCKHOUND
05-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Skitterpop...
I dont think Dom is selling these or anything... he just wants to use them. Chunks can be good but live is always better....

Skitterpop
05-22-2006, 04:46 PM
Actually I am the RI distributor for these if the RI DEM decides to lift their ban. My life doesn't depend on it, but I obviously have interests in it. I live on Aquidneck Island, and fish the same waters as you on a daily basis throughout the year. I also hold a Biology degree, and run a charter outfit as well. I am merely trying to educate the public when it puts forth misinformation and conjecture. It is natural for anyone with a vested interst whether it be economic, emotional, or otherwise to defend something that is important to them. I have done major research over the last year and a half, and spent alot of time and energy working within the guidelines of the RI general laws to insure this fish was safe and legal. I care very much about our resources here, as my livelihood depends on a healthy and diverse coastal watershed. Without it I would be out of work. I would certainly not jeapordize it in any way, and in my very informed opinion this fish can only help take the pressure off the herring, menhaden, and eel stocks while presenting no threat to the "native species"( Many of which were not indigenous but are now referred to as native, i.e largemouth bass). Not to mention make me a bit of much needed money.

PS, I had bass up to 18 pounds in the bay the last 3 days. Our charter on Thur. had over 130 bass to the boat, 29 of them keepers. Many were caught on the Black Salty.:o

READ ABOVE

RIROCKHOUND
05-22-2006, 04:48 PM
I stand corrected....
Oh well...

Squid kids Dad
05-22-2006, 07:33 PM
He does seem affiliated with the black salties success...Read his previous posts...

TheSpecialist
05-22-2006, 09:07 PM
I for one found this information useful. Using these for bait is another alternative to using live herring, which no one can use right now.

It is sad to see some people knocking others for using these baits, when in fact those people who are doing the knocking probably used to use live herring. It is also kind of sad that some of the knockers were the ones that used to ask a million questions a season on 10 different boards, and all of a sudden they are the most proficient fisherperson out there. Give it a rest.

Redsoxticket
05-22-2006, 09:45 PM
Black salty's live expectancy is a few hours in salt water.
CA & FL make it illegal to use the saltys in fresh water.
It is possible that if the saltys survive in fresh water such as a herring pond/stream and with no predators, they could possibly find the herring's eggs there source of food.

CaptDom
05-23-2006, 01:22 AM
I am sorry to those of you on this fine board that thought I was spamming your site up, as it was not my intention. I was unfamiliar with MO here, as I don't really find any easily accessible place on the site on rules and regulations here in regards to posts. I was previously unaware that my posts were taboo. The two threads I chimed on were not started by me either time, I simply felt it necessary to retort to some serious misinformation being brought up and as a result did my thing. It unfortunately degenerated both times to name calling and rants/raves which I tried to avoid at all costs, and only identified myself as the distributor after being called out by another member. I felt it necessary to be truthful and forthcoming, and in no way did I try to use this as a marketing medium; I will refrain from posting anything further on any affiliations I may have. I am in no way connected to any of the baitshops mentioned earlier, I was simply replying to Moses' last post asking to be updated, and am simply a wholesale guy in regards to the aforementioned baits, I do not sell to any of you, the end users.

If I may add one last opinion, I find it sort of exclusionary in more ways than one that representatives of fishing related products are not allowed to chime in to add their views and opinions or facts when their products are brought up by other members of the site, especially when they are attacked or put in a negative spin. If I were a sponsor giving money to your site it would be different, which seems ironic to me as you allow ads and posts by them but not well intentioned posts by non sponsors. As a side note I sent PM message to John R asking what the rules were to posting as a captain/fishing business(the very first day I joined), and was never informed or replied to, sort of in my defense.

Again, I in no way meant to offend anyone or cause problems, and hope that my opinions and views are appreciated for their honesty and good intentions, or if not at the very least tolerated on this open, free, and public fishing-chat site.:angel:

milo
05-23-2006, 04:47 AM
I dont think that the capt was spamming also,he obviously is the most informed on these,and in no way was pushing it until called out..You guys want info and in the end say he"s spammin' ...WTF you want to use em ,go ahead .. if you dont , then dont ,but dont give the guy %$%$%$%$ for stating the facts then chop him at the knees:liquify: ...fire away:wavey:

JohnR
05-23-2006, 05:58 AM
I'm firing Milo :hee:

Cap Dom -

Item 1: Your affiliation with Black Salties should have been mentioned at the outset. These have potential and the discussion would have been well supported had you mentioned that you have a financial interest in this product. The way you did handle this was spam, borderline, informative, and reasonable discussion, but still mild spam. You could have asked and added to the conversation properly by disclosing that you are involved with the B.S.

Item 2: I was unfamiliar with MO here, as I don't really find any easily accessible place on the site on rules and regulations here in regards to posts. I was previously unaware that my posts were taboo.
Remember that little blurb when you registered to the site that states: Commercial Advertising without written permission from Striped-Bass.com is Strictly Prohibited, this includes self promotion and promotion of external entities. This is locally considered "SPAM" and is prohibited at Striped-Bass.com. FURTHER, the registering of accounts, mannualy and automated, to solicit services on this forum is expressly forbidden and will be reported - You clicked on the part where it asked you to read the rules and agree.

Item 3: As a side note I sent PM message to John R asking what the rules were to posting as a captain/fishing business(the very first day I joined), and was never informed or replied to, sort of in my defense. You joined on S-B Feb 21, 2006 at 10:45 pm. I will cleary state that you did NOT send me a PM on the "very first day". You sent one at 6:30 last night in reply to my request, if you were affiliated with B.S.

Item 4: If I may add one last opinion, I find it sort of exclusionary in more ways than one that representatives of fishing related products are not allowed to chime in to add their views and opinions or facts when their products are brought up by other members of the site, especially when they are attacked or put in a negative spin. If I were a sponsor giving money to your site it would be different, which seems ironic to me as you allow ads and posts by them but not well intentioned posts by non sponsors.

We DO allow and encourage this discourse by "knowlegeable" people regarding a product but they should introduce themselves AND their affiliation should be clearly stated from the beginning. Your posts were spamish of the B.S. but they were also somewhat informative.

Item 5: and am simply a wholesale guy in regards to the aforementioned baits, I do not sell to any of you, the end users. As being the "wholesale guy", you have much to profit from through advancing the PR of the B.S.

Item 6: It unfortunately degenerated both times to name calling and rants/raves which I tried to avoid at all costs, and only identified myself as the distributor after being called out by another member. Yet, you were happy enough to degenerate into railing against DEM when they were squashing YOUR agenda

Item 7: Again, I in no way meant to offend anyone or cause problems, and hope that my opinions and views are appreciated for their honesty and good intentions, or if not at the very least tolerated on this open, free, and public fishing-chat site.:angel:

The open and free and lights kept on by sponsors where the registration agreement states no commercial advertising of any kind without permission first public fishing chat-site

Oakie knows you and if he vouches for you that is a pretty stinkin' good reference in my opinion. HOWEVER, you did not disclose your affiliation, and your agenda, plus you have made a few inaccurate statements here. Please be more honest and open in the future (and read the rules).

Thanks,

John

nightfighter
05-23-2006, 06:02 AM
CaptDom has been upfront about his profession and his affiliation with this bait from his first post. (yes, I reviewed mopst of them) His posts have been well written with information and disclaimers in regards to the threads' subject. Those of you calling out spam should consider what the thread was asking for, and then ask yourself who might be more qualified to give the straight answer than someone 'affiliated' with the company. (Makes me think of a Penn reel thread when folks jumped on the company for not responding with the skinny........)

Skitterpop
05-23-2006, 06:02 AM
John R :musc: Good post man.

UserRemoved1
05-23-2006, 06:26 AM
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=31510

There can only be ONE black salty :as:

CaptDom
05-23-2006, 08:04 AM
I'm firing Milo :hee:

Cap Dom -

Item 1: Your affiliation with Black Salties should have been mentioned at the outset. These have potential and the discussion would have been well supported had you mentioned that you have a financial interest in this product. The way you did handle this was spam, borderline, informative, and reasonable discussion, but still mild spam. You could have asked and added to the conversation properly by disclosing that you are involved with the B.S.

Item 2:
Remember that little blurb when you registered to the site that states: Commercial Advertising without written permission from Striped-Bass.com is Strictly Prohibited, this includes self promotion and promotion of external entities. This is locally considered "SPAM" and is prohibited at Striped-Bass.com. FURTHER, the registering of accounts, mannualy and automated, to solicit services on this forum is expressly forbidden and will be reported - You clicked on the part where it asked you to read the rules and agree.

Item 3: You joined on S-B Feb 21, 2006 at 10:45 pm. I will cleary state that you did NOT send me a PM on the "very first day". You sent one at 6:30 last night in reply to my request, if you were affiliated with B.S.

Item 4:

We DO allow and encourage this discourse by "knowlegeable" people regarding a product but they should introduce themselves AND their affiliation should be clearly stated from the beginning. Your posts were spamish of the B.S. but they were also somewhat informative.

Item 5: As being the "wholesale guy", you have much to profit from through advancing the PR of the B.S.

Item 6: Yet, you were happy enough to degenerate into railing against DEM when they were squashing YOUR agenda

Item 7:
The open and free and lights kept on by sponsors where the registration agreement states no commercial advertising of any kind without permission first public fishing chat-site

Oakie knows you and if he vouches for you that is a pretty stinkin' good reference in my opinion. HOWEVER, you did not disclose your affiliation, and your agenda, plus you have made a few inaccurate statements here. Please be more honest and open in the future (and read the rules).

Thanks,

John

Item 1:
Reread my orginal post on 5-01-2006 in regards to this, I think you will see I did mention this fact from the outset.

Item 2:No, I don't remember it, which is why I tried asking you in an email(not the afore mentioned PM as I had originally thought) that was never replied to. If you inadvertently didn't do this or it never reached you, that I can understand, and I didn't resend it in your defense.

Item 3:Last nights PM was in reference to my now clear understanding after searching the site thouroughly for rules and regs on posting and getting an email explaining this to me. I also asked you for rates on advertising in that same PM, still waiting for a response.

Item 4:By your quotations on "knowledgeable" it seems to me you are questioning my "knowledge", and if that is the case you are clearly not aware of my education on this and many other topics nor did you pay much attention to my fact based, reference quoted posts on this matter in question. I never once stated an opinion based on fallicies or conjecture. I did not start either of these threads, I may have overstepped my bounds, and am willing to admit that and apologized openly, and to you in my PM of last night.

Item 5:Guilty as charged.

Item 6:I did not attack a person individually, I stated my very real issues with a body of government acting with no legal precedence or regulations backing them by denying a permit given in 2005, again in 2006, then rescinding it for 3 weeks with no explanantion, and finally passing an emergency rule which goes uncontested by the public for 120 days until it can be publicly reviewed and commented on. I will continue to "rail" against a government which operates in many facets aginst my political and common sense values. Period.

Item 7:Again, guilty as charged, but still waiting to hear the rates for sponsorship of this fine site.
again will state that the rules and regs on this site are very difficult to find. I was hinting that maybe you should put a sticky on a general rule review or put a link to it somewhere easier to find.....

un-numbered subtext:
I did make, in my opinion, very borderline but very few if any innaccurate statements here. I would also again counter that I did make my affiliation known from the start, but if it wasn't clear in my post by stating I at the very beginning didn't feel it appropriate considering my profession, than I apologize again. I certainly will assert that my posts were open, and honest, always, so no need to address that in the future, thanks.

Furthermore:
I did apologize the first time(and in above mentioned PM of last night), a fact which you conveniently failed to recognize or mention in your well thought out and highlighted response to mine. I also know personally other members here, and think that they could vouch for my character and good intentions. I never once was disrepectful of others, did not resort to name calling, and still feel I was open and straightforward. That however, is just my opinion, and again, if misinterpreted or misunderstood through my fault or not, I AGAIN apologize. I still hope that if my opinions are not respected and agreed with, that at least they are tolerated.

Thanks,

Dom

fishaholic18
05-23-2006, 08:27 AM
Become a paying sponsor if JR will allow it-----problem solved.

CaptDom
05-23-2006, 08:33 AM
Become a paying sponsor if JR will allow it-----problem solved.

JR replied in kind to my PM of last night, and explained the issues to me quite clearly and professionally. I would become a sponsor of this fine site if room would allow, so maybe in the future that can occur. Until then I promise to behave and only chime in non affiliated, proper topics in the future. I do value and appreciate the members here for their opinions and clearly very knowledgeable posts and information exchanged. I meant no disrespect or wanted to create any problems, I just got caught up in my passion and overstepped my bounds based on the rules which I admittedly was ignorant of.

JohnR
05-23-2006, 08:35 AM
As we continue to split hairs... Understand that this is not what would eloquently be described as a "pissing contest" :tooth:

1) I have read a few times the first thread you joined on about the Black Salties and while you allude to being involved you do not say that you have a professional affiliation with B.S.

2) That is there for a reason

3) No PM - did you send an email? Possible, the only thing I get more of than PMs (1500 in a few months at last count) is email which is about 400 per day. Some get lost, filtered, and whatever.

4) The quotes are not sarcastic, like i sad in PM and on the thread, if your background is what it is and your posts certainly indicate that then you are probably who you say you are.

6) DEM has significant problems, many of which are a result of underfunding. I sure as hell don't always agree with them but I do respect a lot of them of more often than not TRYING to do a decent job. Want a more accurate accounting and management and resource driven DEM? Support them for more funding.

7) Stickies for this stickies for that - not enough room for the discussion if we sticky to death. It is pretty clear in the registration part, helps to actually read it though.

addendums ad nauseum

Yes, some was borderline and for the most part, I though informative, but I do need to look through it with the lense that you have a vested interest which does introduce some bias into your statements. Again, I thought it was knowledgeable and good argument (though I don't always agree)... Also understand that when a lot of people hard spam things get ugly and many members, understandably, watch with a suspicious eye...

As for your PM, I replied to your PM, the thread I replied to in the thread. I sent you another PM btw...

So can we call this topic and tit for tat done? I need to do my real job now...

Thanks,

John

fishaholic18
05-23-2006, 08:35 AM
JR replied in kind to my PM of last night, and explained the issues to me quite clearly and professionally. I would become a sponsor of this fine site if room would allow, so maybe in the future that can occur. Until then I promise to behave and only chime in non affiliated, proper topics in the future. I do value and appreciate the members here for their opinions and clearly very knowledgeable posts and information exchanged. I meant no disrespect or wanted to create any problems, I just got caught up in my passion and overstepped my bounds based on the rules which I admittedly was ignorant of.
Understood.:btu:
Glad you and JR were able to work it out civilly.:btu:

Skitterpop
05-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Spence and I are working on a wonderful recipe.

Stay tuned! :scream:

Swimmer
05-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Mucho bandwidth on the Black Mariah er I mean Salties

:yak5:

:spam:

DZ
05-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Just heard a news release on WADK 1540 Radio(Newport) - DEM has imposed an emergency 120 day ban on using any goldfish for bait in RI. They will use the 120 days to study the issue. Doesn't look good.

DZ

Pt.JudeJoe
05-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Spence and I are working on a wonderful recipe.

Stay tuned! :scream:

Martha Stewart has issued an emergency ban on cooking of Black Salties due to high sodium content and the potential of Black Salties raising people's blood pressure.:rotf2:

spence
05-23-2006, 12:41 PM
You mock what you don't understand :hs: :hee:

-spence

JohnR
05-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Martha Stewart has issued an emergency ban on cooking of Black Salties due to high sodium content and the potential of Black Salties raising people's blood pressure.:rotf2:

Newport Living - with Metalchunk Joe :hihi:

DZ - Interesting. That may have been misconstrued on the radio stations part. WJAR mentioned the ban for freshwater use on the news last night... Will need to dig further...

Parker650
05-23-2006, 03:05 PM
Real quick...for all that are upset or don't understand why DEM is cracking down on these goldfish...

OK...they don't breed, thats good...they don't survive long in saltwater, good...possibly quite a while in freshwater, not so good...they work and will take pressure off other bait being sold if they are allowed, that is good too. Most everything that CaptDom and most others in favor have brought up they have a lot going for them. That I agree with...it's only one thing that is a significant unknown.

The one thing that stands out is there is no concrete, time-proven scientific information on these fish and what kind of effects they could possibly have IF RELEASED INTO A FRESHWATER ECOSYSTEM. They don't breed, so most everyone would automatically think that it is OK if they get released. Just keep in mind that any fish introduced into an ecosystem (lake, stream, brook) will be taking up space and food to live, possibly out-competing other native-fish for food, eating native-fish eggs, larvae and/or young frye and quite possibly pushing native fish out of their habitat and breeding areas. Of course, all of this might not happen, however there is a possibility, as we have seen what happens with other non-native species that have been accidentally introduced into other areas. Since there is a remote possibility that something like this COULD happen (not saying it will), coupled with the lack of scientific information on these goldfish, DEM (as well as ourselves as responsible fishermen and stewards of this earth) needs to take every precaution BEFORE it happens. There is nothing wrong with being overly cautious, we just need to have patience and understand the potential impacts they could have and why more info is needed before they are given the OK.

What if...some got released into the wood river and they ended up pushing the trout out of their breeding areas and eating the eggs and larvae and the trout population plummets. What if you grew up trout fishing, looking forward to taking your son out on opening day for trout as you used to, only to catch 5 lb 'goldfish' instead? Not saying it WOULD happen, but until we know otherwise, it COULD, and we need to be responsible with these possibilities.

Skitterpop
05-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Ok so they don`t reproduce...ever see what released goldfish do to freshwater ponds / lakes?

Black Salty Koi Ponds on a grand scale. :hs:

RIROCKHOUND
05-23-2006, 03:28 PM
Skitter;
you're very anti Salty's...If the studies show in saltwater they are OK, and are available for sale, is it safe to say you'll never try them or use them, ever?

Skitterpop
05-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Yes

RIROCKHOUND
05-23-2006, 04:06 PM
OK... Well your principles can be admired then, but I think they'll at least be worth a try in salt water

Moses
05-23-2006, 04:11 PM
OK... Well your principles can be admired then, but I think they'll at least be worth a try in salt water

I agree. If I could purchase these legally and use them legally in saltwater only, I definitely would.

MakoMike
05-23-2006, 04:42 PM
I hear the same thing as John, that the ban on them was for freshwater use only and that they can be sold and used in salt water.

Skitterpop
05-23-2006, 04:48 PM

I say ok for salt for anyone. I just won`t use them. Hate to see them ruin any body of fresh water.

Nebe
05-23-2006, 04:57 PM
I wont use them until they change the name to "afro-american salties"

until then i can not support such a politicly incorrect prodcut :hihi:

in all honesty, i will give them a whirl this season...

Jenn
05-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Real quick...for all that are upset or don't understand why DEM is cracking down on these goldfish...

OK...they don't breed, thats good...they don't survive long in saltwater, good...possibly quite a while in freshwater, not so good...they work and will take pressure off other bait being sold if they are allowed, that is good too. Most everything that CaptDom and most others in favor have brought up they have a lot going for them. That I agree with...it's only one thing that is a significant unknown.

The one thing that stands out is there is no concrete, time-proven scientific information on these fish and what kind of effects they could possibly have IF RELEASED INTO A FRESHWATER ECOSYSTEM. They don't breed, so most everyone would automatically think that it is OK if they get released. Just keep in mind that any fish introduced into an ecosystem (lake, stream, brook) will be taking up space and food to live, possibly out-competing other native-fish for food, eating native-fish eggs, larvae and/or young frye and quite possibly pushing native fish out of their habitat and breeding areas. Of course, all of this might not happen, however there is a possibility, as we have seen what happens with other non-native species that have been accidentally introduced into other areas. Since there is a remote possibility that something like this COULD happen (not saying it will), coupled with the lack of scientific information on these goldfish, DEM (as well as ourselves as responsible fishermen and stewards of this earth) needs to take every precaution BEFORE it happens. There is nothing wrong with being overly cautious, we just need to have patience and understand the potential impacts they could have and why more info is needed before they are given the OK.

What if...some got released into the wood river and they ended up pushing the trout out of their breeding areas and eating the eggs and larvae and the trout population plummets. What if you grew up trout fishing, looking forward to taking your son out on opening day for trout as you used to, only to catch 5 lb 'goldfish' instead? Not saying it WOULD happen, but until we know otherwise, it COULD, and we need to be responsible with these possibilities.

the most intelligent response I have heard yet.

Also I have a question.....how do they "not breed"? Please excuse me for sounding stupid on this but I dont get it???? are they cloned??? how can they "not breed"? What am I missing?

Skitterpop
05-23-2006, 06:02 PM
Carp, such as grass, black, and silver, as well as goldfish are among the most destructive non-indigenous species in North America, primarily because of their diet of aquatic vegetation. These species strip waters of oxygen-producing plants, thus increasing water temperatures and destroying habitat for native juvenile fish. In addition, the feeding habits of carp and goldfish stir up sediments, which decreases water clarity and inhibits plant growth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I guess my question to the BS :usd: people would be how long will they live in fresh water?

Nebe
05-23-2006, 07:54 PM
skitter- they cant reproduce. historicly problems involved with introducing a non-natice species into a new inviroment is that there are no preditors to eat them, which allows them to reproduce, which in turn boosts the #'s and the native species get pushed out- Didnt you see the movie Gremlins?? :hihi: My point is that if they cant reproduce, they will live their lifespan and die.

Im all for these little fish- they are farm raised, unlike eels which are stripped from ponds, rivers, and estuaries up and down our coasts.

Skitterpop
05-23-2006, 08:29 PM
I already had that Eben....that is why I said how long do they live.If repeatedly used at any location this will still be a problem.Not all will perish with use. Have you seen a fresh water environment over run with goldfish? It gets trashed.

And....remember Jurassic Park ...they cannot reproduce :lurk:

Jenn
05-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Nebe...I was asking the question of how do they "not reproduce"???? :huh: :huh: :huh: If they dont reproduce where do they come from to begin with? I am not getting it!!!!!! Everyone keeps saying "they dont reproduce, they dont reproduce" and I almost feel stupid for asking how can they "NOT reproduce" but yet no one has answered my question????:huh: are they clones? are they test tube fishies?

Jenn
05-24-2006, 06:14 PM
Ok, just went to the website and found this info. It does state that they can in fact reproduce in freshwater. I did not however see any mention that they cannot anywhere on the site. Can anyone please clarify where it is stated that they cannot reproduce????

http://www.blacksalty.com/forum/read.php?1,11

Squid kids Dad
05-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Hi Jenn,
Try sending captdom a pm about your question...He is the one promoting there use...He seems very knowledgable about these little critters..He is a member of s-b.com

Skitterpop
05-24-2006, 07:46 PM
I`m selling Black and White Zebra Salty Mussels for bait :smash:

Nebe
05-24-2006, 10:06 PM
ohhh i thought they were sterile.....

well, i take back what i said.. or in other words i voted for it before i voted agianst it :hihi:

bluzjamer
05-24-2006, 11:03 PM
So ...are they legal or not! I don't want to be accused of using illegals to go fishing. They will have to come with a Green Card!

scoobe
05-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Here is part of the text Jenn linked to:

Anyhow, the Black Salty will reproduce in a private pond, given good water conditions and adequate cover. - Larry Bozka

That seems like a pretty definitive answer to me.

Jenn
05-25-2006, 05:35 PM
I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something?

Dont get me wrong I am not 100% anti salty. Do I think it is a good idea to come up with an alternative to herring etc? yes. Do I think we should do it at the expense of other native species? absolutely not.

I want the facts about them before I would consider it and I would hope the rest of you would too. I also think that we need to left the officials do their jobs and determine if salties pose a threat or not.

And last but not least PLEASE dont say its no different than buying goldfish at the pet shop....because to release a common goldfish (ei,unwated pets) is also illegal and for good reason at that.

If we arent responsible enough to fish without herring or eels (and without the help of black salties) for a while than we will soon face an even bigger problem.

RIROCKHOUND
05-26-2006, 07:37 AM
Wildwood has them.....