View Full Version : Herring in 06

JohnR
05-12-2006, 12:46 PM
With the no take of herring expanding from just CT to CT, RI, and MA - have any of you been following the runs to see how they are doing? If the fish are dropping out (some should be)? Or good runs?

Thanks!

John

bloocrab
05-12-2006, 05:03 PM
John,

The herring up my way seem to be as healthy as a horse...I haven't lost a one while transporting them from point A to point B....They're also more available this year as there are less poachers to compete with....one scoop in the ladder and I'm set for the night :D........weeeeeeeeeee,,,,catch me if you can - :rocketem:

Actually an old run nearby which in the past few years has NOT seen a herring rush...had gulls sitting all over the rocks feasting on the tired or injured. It was nice to see them in there again!!! :boots: ....

jpmass
05-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Always good to hear

Sweetwater
05-12-2006, 05:59 PM
I've been trying to follow the herring and shad runs. There is a good site although it focuses on the Connecticut River.

http://www.ctriversalmon.org/

Check their reports (roughly weekly) for counts for Salmon, shad, bluebacks and alewife.

stiff tip
05-12-2006, 06:46 PM
rivers around me show less fish than normal4 this time of yr ..real bad last couple of yrs....

Mike P
05-12-2006, 06:52 PM
The Canal run has been relatively poor this year. Despite what you might read from one guy on FFSW. As of 5/6, the fish counter was tallying 20,000, according to the herring agent.

I was down there today. There were just a few in each of the lower pools--maybe 50-70 in the second one at the top of the first fish ladder--and about 20 grouped up at the top of the chute along Rte 6, waiting to go under the road. There was absolutely no sign of any herring in the Canal itself :(

I've yet to see a fish taken at the Run, let alone catch one myself, altho I'm sure there must have been a few taken there.

There's a pick of keepers in other places along the Canal, tho.

fishsmith
05-12-2006, 08:39 PM
They're LOADED, LOADED, LOADED!!!!!!!!!!
And now only the poachers and trawlers can get them :lossinit: .
But if it means my boys will be able to see their kids play with em, it'll be worth it. Here's my oldest son shaking hands with one its way up stream.

spence
05-12-2006, 08:54 PM
I've checked a local big run pretty frequently and it's been loaded with cormorants since late March though this week. I've only "seen" serious fish activity once, but if the birds are there...

-spence

bloocrab
05-13-2006, 12:19 AM
It should definately make things easier for Law Enforcement to govern the runs...no-one really has reason to be at one unless they're site seeing for whatever reason . ..

tlapinski
05-13-2006, 08:40 AM
I have yet to see any on the CT river this year. The one spot I usually find them around this time of the year has had too little water to bring them in. The rain we have had the past few days will help, though. I'll be out Monday looking for them for sure.

BigFish
05-13-2006, 08:45 AM
Fishsmith....hope you guys were not "netting" them? Even just to hold? Against the law!

tynan19
05-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Larry, it looks like they were helping them back into the water after jumping on to the rocks.

BigFish
05-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Just inquiring Tynan. Thought you were away this weekend? You by the pool with a laptop?:hihi: Hope you are having fun!:cool:

tynan19
05-13-2006, 09:15 AM
Late start, supposed to have left 2 hrs ago. Oh the joy of having 2 boys and a wife that worked till 11:30 last night.

BigFish
05-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Oh.....well...hope you folks enjoy.....it will be better than sitting home on a rainy weekend....then again you would be out fishing...right? Have fun...kids ain't small forever!

Fishpart
05-13-2006, 09:38 AM
What a surprise, no Russian factory ships this year and buckeyes have been seen in runs that no one saw buckeyes in the last two years/////////////////////////The S-B fishermen must be taking an A$$ load of buckeyes that they show this year :wall:

"uffah!!"
05-13-2006, 10:01 AM
They're LOADED, LOADED, LOADED!!!!!!!!!!
And now only the poachers and trawlers can get them :lossinit: .
But if it means my boys will be able to see their kids play with em, it'll be worth it. Here's my oldest son shaking hands with one its way up stream.

Shaking hands with one? Looks like he's squeezing the sh t out of it!

JohnR
05-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Fishsmith - Good for the kids :btu:

Fishpart - they were dropping out of you know where last night - just a few tonight though and only two bumps - but no fish... Might go tomorrow night after Sopranos

Headhunter
05-14-2006, 07:06 AM
The herrring run by me is the best in seven years or so,last yearwas the worst,go figure!

fishsmith
05-14-2006, 03:57 PM
I was looking for a green cop - free sitter :hihi:

bostonharbor
05-15-2006, 05:42 PM
The run in west harwich was looking good weekend before last.