View Full Version : sluggo from shore question

MrHunters
05-12-2006, 06:30 PM
I've never used sluggos before (i know i know) keep in mind this is only my third season, first was exclusive tube n worm and second was plugs and herring... Anywho... 9" light colored sluggo, do you tie a weight to it or leave as is? Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

happy weekend!

MrHunters
05-12-2006, 06:32 PM
errr... maybe shoulda checked the howto's :)

stiff tip
05-12-2006, 06:40 PM
no weight ,,quick jerk and tip movement works best 4 me ....almost any way goes,,,,rite color slugo is a big plus

MrHunters
05-12-2006, 07:13 PM
just read that the white seems to be most successful for that particular feller... is there a strategy for time of day and color?

also... i have a package of 10' fin-s kinda herring looking things... but same manufacturer as sluggo's... any luck with those?
http://shop.oysterbaytackle.com/images/FIN7.JPG

labrax
05-12-2006, 07:36 PM
I like the Arkansas shiner color in the 6" variety with a 1/2oz leadhead on 8' rod (1/2 - 2oz). Also use black and white and blue over white with good success. Lighter colors in the day and darker at night. Just picked up some 7.5" white sluggos to use this year.

Have used the larger 9" size too - white, blue/white and black. Used to just use them with 1.5oz jig heads, but last year rigged some up with double hooks and the cut-off nails for weight (OTW article by Steve McKenna) and they worked very well.

Have used the big Fin-S-Fish too. I like the Sluggos better, but they work too.

Seems to be a few more soft plastics out this spring to compete against the sluggo - I picked up one of the alternatives last weekend and am eager to try them out.

MrHunters
05-12-2006, 07:41 PM
first time out tomorrow...eager to try out my new spot

Nebe
05-12-2006, 08:25 PM
just my opinion, but weighting depends on how deep and how fast you want to fish it.. more weight will allow you to fish deeper and retrieve it faster. Also, bigger hooks will allow you to use less weights and keep it a bit heavy, or the oppposite, allow you to really get it to sink fast if you use big hooks and weights. ALso, the more hooks and weights you stick into it, the more action you are going to remove from it....

libassboy
05-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Check out Surfcasting Rhode islands site, lots of good info there and even a video clip. I use the 9" version and it works real well. I rig them with two gami hd live bait hooks, and three weights. The red/black, arkansas shiner, and white are good colors to start with.

MrHunters
05-13-2006, 10:58 AM
when using a jig head does the hook exit out the top or bottom of the sluggo

beamie
05-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Lately with all this wind I have been putting a small egg sinker on the line in front of the sluggo. Super glued a mustad 94150 at the head. Still good action and catches.