View Full Version : Waterproffing for Sunbrella material?

Slipknot
05-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Does anyone know what product I should use to waterproof Sunbrella material, the stuff bimini tops are made from? I have a boat cover for my small boat made with that stuff and it needs to be waterproofed.

Thanks

beamie
05-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Slip,

How about just using Scotchgard. Don't know how long it will last but will probably work for a season.

Slipknot
05-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks but I think scotchgaurd may be better for inside fabrics, I could be wrong though.

I did some research and the sunbrella site actually reccomends this product http://www.303products.com/store/category.cfm?Category=8&CFID=2221824&CFTOKEN=61254556

I also read that you should NOT use a silicone product over the sunbrella

I think I will get some of this 303 stuff and try it out unless someone else has another firsthand experience.

Fishpart
05-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Many moons ago I waterproffed a whole bunch of leaky cancas tents with Thompsons Water Seal. Don't know what Sunbrella is, but it may be an option.........

BigBo
05-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Slip. I've used this Satrbrite product with good results on Sunbrella material.

http://www.starbrite.com/productdetail.cfm?ID=1056&ProductCat=Marine&ProductSCat=Waterproofing&ProductSSCat=

BEETLE
05-13-2006, 05:38 PM
I used the Starbrite on my sunbrella t-top. lasted well over one season.

Fish On
05-15-2006, 10:27 AM
I used to work for the Haartz Corporation in Acton MA which made several marine fabric constructions. I was focused on developing automotive interior trim products, but had some exposure to all products. Sunbrella is a solution dyed acrylic fabric. Unfortunately since it is only a fabric it will never be truly 100% waterproof. Haartz makes a coated product called Seamark with combines the fabric with .007” of vinyl making it 100% waterproof. I shot an e-mail over to the product development manager for this area of the business and he recommended a product called Raggtop Fabric Protectant. You can find it at www.wolfsteins.com. He reiterrated the fact that you should not use silicone.

Tuna Helper
05-15-2006, 11:04 AM
I use 303.
It should be applied in bright, direct sunlight. It's not cheap but it works very well.