View Full Version : How will the price of Gas affect how oftern and where you'll fish

fcap60
05-16-2006, 01:42 PM
All:

I'm just curious to know how many of you will either reduce the No. of times you get out and fish during the week or how far you travel to fish.

Boaters- I'm sure the price of gas is has become, even more, rediculous ?

beamie
05-16-2006, 01:58 PM
Whether your a boater or a surf guy the excess price from last year...lets say an additional 30% on gas will just be absorbed as more cost to do what you enjoy doing. Letting it (gas price) control your fun is not an option. You only live once...............

blue oyster
05-16-2006, 01:59 PM
won't affect me at all , been saving all winter just for this , and like most of us i can't get out as often as i would like so i won't change my trips .

BrianS
05-16-2006, 02:12 PM
my wifes pregnancy and the birth of my son the first week of August or so will have a much larger effect on my fishing that gas prices.

hulkyj61
05-16-2006, 02:29 PM
I'm a walk across the street from some of the best fishing in Maine. I also have my kayak rigged so I can go wherever in the cove I'm in. I also work at a place that sells bait, and some basic tackle so I can just pickup whatever i need after work and drive home. My escapades to Camp Ellis, Perkins Cove, and Drakes Island are going to be limited.

bluzjamer
05-16-2006, 02:35 PM
I'm used to taking short trips to wherever the fish are biting. I have a SUV so that isn't happening anymore. Trips to the south shore and the cape are few and far between now. I'm also laid off so that also contributes. Looks like shorter trips around Warwick. Been looking at rod holder to attach to motorcycle. Now where do I put the cooler?

BigFish
05-16-2006, 02:37 PM
It will affect alot of things....but not my fishing!:kewl:

tattoobob
05-16-2006, 02:38 PM
My wife and I just talked about this last night, and I told her I wasn't going to let 3 to 4 dollar a gallon gas affect they way I fish. now I am going to have a truck camper and a chase truck I will just have to cheap out else where. like not buying to much gear and plugs. not eating out bringing my lunch to work. stop buying DD coffee and make my own. maybe do a couple of side jobs. it is only money and I am not going to give it to my kids when I die, It is to enjoy life

BigFish
05-16-2006, 02:43 PM
I am with TattooBob......thinking about kicking the DD too!:err:

Skitterpop
05-16-2006, 02:50 PM
Home grinders are cheap and you have more variety available at a much lower cost unless you go for the $ gourmet coffee.

Less trips down Cape for me...live near the Canal so its time I learned to fish it.

Sweetwater
05-16-2006, 04:01 PM
The price of gas won't effect my fishing at all. I've waited all winter to chase stripers, fluke, and tuna....so I'm goin'.

tattoobob
05-16-2006, 04:25 PM
I am with TattooBob......thinking about kicking the DD too!:err:

I am going to start a 12 step program for DD addiction

Sweetwater
05-16-2006, 05:01 PM
I am going to start a 12 step program for DD addiction

You think DD addiction is bad on the pocket book? Try a Starbucks addiction at $3.50 for a cappacino grande :)

gone fishin
05-16-2006, 05:19 PM
BIGFISH GIVE UP DD ??? :yak: Holy cow Larry - you are going to go nuts with out your DD coffee. Does anyone know if they have a patch to overcome the addiction to DD coffee? Caffene patch - similar to nicotine patches.:rtfm:

BigFish
05-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Pinheads that work there frig it up every time anyway!:fishslap:

In The Surf
05-16-2006, 07:12 PM
I know it's going to affect me but I'm in denial. :tm:

Nebe
05-16-2006, 07:14 PM
wont effect me one bit..

it may effect my kids college fund though...:laugha:

Goose
05-16-2006, 07:38 PM
true
I know it's going to affect me but I'm in denial. :tm:

crash
05-16-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm planning on buying gas instead of food, I need to lose weight anyways.:D

Bazza
05-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Less fishing trips for me coming up. Not as much driving around to check out different spots. I also plan to take my wife's Camery (with 2 piece or shorter rods)more , instead of my Durrango.

JFigliuolo
05-17-2006, 07:11 AM
Won't affect me too much. I drive an econo-go-kart.

Will still cut corners where I can, same as everyone. Bring Coffee/food from home, try to work side jobs where I can.

zimmy
05-17-2006, 08:07 AM
The higher the gas prices go, the cheaper the houses near the canal start to look :heybaby:

bluzjamer
05-17-2006, 08:38 AM
Lots of Bravado here.....I just wonder what the wives will have to say about all this extra grocery money going to chase after a Striped Bass. You know some this high price gas will result in Divorce court. Been there done that and aint goin again! These oil tycoons should be shot for doing this to the American people. They will put this entire country back into a recession if they don't stop.

Fish On
05-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Since most of my fishing is from a boat and I'm not John D. Rockafeller, then yes it will affect my decision making.

I will:
1) pick the better days (weatherwise)
2) Move around less
3) Research ahead more (should do more of this anyway)
4) Buddy up more
5) Get back into golf a bit

The buddy thing works for boats and sleds. What can we do to promote more buddy ups or make it easier. More threads? Special page?

JFigliuolo
05-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Since most of my fishing is from a boat and I'm not John D. Rockafeller, then yes it will affect my decision making.

I will:
1) pick the better days (weatherwise)
2) Move around less
3) Research ahead more (should do more of this anyway)
4) Buddy up more
5) Get back into golf a bit

The buddy thing works for boats and sleds. What can we do to promote more buddy ups or make it easier. More threads? Special page?

Buddy system works for the surf too when long drives are taken.

ThrowingTimber
05-17-2006, 12:17 PM
:devil: I drove 2 weeks on a full tank of gas :musc:

Vehicle maintenance :kewl: :heybaby:

blaruffa
05-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Won't change my plans. Still planning on boating anf fishing as much as possible. The bigger issue is the Gas card doesn't have enough limit to fill up boat's tank.:eek:

Rappin Mikey
05-17-2006, 02:34 PM
This is exactly the reason why I work 2 jobs. One is for living expenses. The other just for fishing expenses. Over the winter months I bank evreything I make from job2 for the Summer. Living in Western Mass, I'm pretty much limited to weekend fishing when the bulk of the fish leave here in late June.

Reef Runner
05-17-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm going anyway, but this year my fishing partner may be in for a rude awakening.

Rockport24
05-17-2006, 02:58 PM
I drive a small car too and don't drive too far to my spots, so I don't think it will affect me too bad. Kicking the DD habit is a good way to save money though. Hmmmm I remember having the same conversation last year around this time....

MakoMike
05-17-2006, 03:33 PM
Won't affect me much, if at all. But TT is going to have to start chipping in for his fluke lessons! :scream:

Slingah
05-17-2006, 05:47 PM
it wont change much for me, but it will alittle...I wont be making those spur of the moment cape trips as often...

NarragansettBil
05-17-2006, 09:16 PM
I am lucky enough to just fall out of bed and be there! But I do.have to travel for other things

l.i.fish.in.vt
05-18-2006, 05:57 AM
i will more than likely fish more than ever. since i have a 280 to 400 mile trip each way to the places i fish i plan on staying longer each trip.

ThrowingTimber
05-18-2006, 11:10 AM
You got it Mike :uhuh: Tell Butch and Danny I said hi :buds:

MakoMike
05-18-2006, 11:49 AM
TT Fluke lessons will be starting soon. Boat should be in the water sometime this weekend.

Mr. Sandman
05-19-2006, 04:22 PM
It will not effect my surf fishing very much but it will have an impact on how far I travel in the boat. I will make less runs to distant spots that I like to fish each year. And will probably do more close to home bottom fishing (which I like doing anyway). Lord knows I have enough bait now!:hee:

Hooper
05-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Lots of Bravado here.....I just wonder what the wives will have to say about all this extra grocery money going to chase after a Striped Bass. You know some this high price gas will result in Divorce court. Been there done that and aint goin again! These oil tycoons should be shot for doing this to the American people. They will put this entire country back into a recession if they don't stop.

Well said.

Now I have read that the oil companies are earning about .09 cents profit on a gallon of gasoline. But, there is about .50 cents of tax on each gallon.... :conf: I know who I would rather shoot.