View Full Version : how to make your own surf bag!

eelman
04-24-2000, 06:40 AM
Project:
Make your own surf bags.
Here is an inexpensive way to make your own surf/lure bag. Head on down to your local army navy surplus shop. They have many different style shoulder bag's, that can be easily converted for use in the surf. The price is right also, I haven't bought one yet that has went more than 14 buck's! They're made of canvas and will last a lifetime. The more they age ,the better they get!

The project is fun and can be done to suit your own personal need's. What I have done to the bags I have bought is... remove the metal snaps that close the bag, and replace them with Velcro strips to close the bag. Any hardware store has these Velcro strips and they are easily sewn into the canvas. This way I have eliminated anything that can rust. Have your wife save all the shampoo bottles in the house. After cleaning them out, cut the tops off. Next drill a small hole in the bottom of the bottle for drainage. You can leave some bottles longer than other's to fit larger plugs. Get some five-minute epoxy and glue the bottles together in rows of three, four or five, depending on the size of the bag you will be using. Next, add the bottles to the bag and presto! You have a great custom made surf bag for under 20 bills. And it will stand the test of time.

The options have no limit, extra pockets can be sewn in on the sides of the bag to hold hook's, leader material, snap's swivels extra light etc. I have several bags that I have made to suit different purposes. Start looking around the house and I'M sure you will come up with many ideas for storage containers. Things like old prescription bottles make excellent containers for holding hooks and snap's. Use your imagination!