View Full Version : Saltwater & Rust on Gear

Parker650
05-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Ok...what do you guys do to prevent this? Especially those of you frequently waist deep w/ your bags filled w/ sea water frequently?

The trebles on my plugs are starting to get rusty...any tips?

Do you always rinse everything down when you get home???

CANAL RAT
05-21-2006, 04:21 PM
i rinse all my plugs and plug bag down and hose down my rods.wipe down your reel if it did not get dunked.if your reel got dunked soak it in warm water for a little while.

Bill L
05-21-2006, 04:50 PM
I dont always rinse my waders and jacket, but the plug bag can get effed up pretty quick if . The VMC hooks will go to hell pretty fast if you dont. The older style tinned Mustads seem to hold up better. Rinse or change your hooks (and stained bucktails) more often..

I use Boeshield T-9 spray on the reels. Its got more lasting power than WD-40, and gives a nice coating.

Pete_G
05-21-2006, 06:37 PM
Ok...what do you guys do to prevent this? Especially those of you frequently waist deep w/ your bags filled w/ sea water frequently?

The trebles on my plugs are starting to get rusty...any tips?

Do you always rinse everything down when you get home???

I do often rinse my plug bag but I often find everything still rusts.

Buy your VMC's in bulk to save some money and replace as necessary. Set up a Plano box with a full size run of VMC's and split rings that way when you need to replace a batch of hooks you can do so quickly.

Keep in mind just because a VMC has some rust doesn't mean it isn't strong anymore. Get a good hook file, put a point on it, and it's ready to go.

My waders and jackets get rinsed every other week or so. I know I should be better about it but my rods and reels typically only see sweetwater when it rains...

About the only thing that sees a good rinse every trip it gets used is my wetsuit. Everything else I expect to last even with some abuse from not being wash down every day.

NIB
05-21-2006, 09:28 PM
I do often rinse my plug bag but I often find everything still rusts.

Buy your VMC's in bulk to save some money and replace as necessary. Set up a Plano box with a full size run of VMC's and split rings that way when you need to replace a batch of hooks you can do so quickly.

Keep in mind just because a VMC has some rust doesn't mean it isn't strong anymore. Get a good hook file, put a point on it, and it's ready to go.

My waders and jackets get rinsed every other week or so. I know I should be better about it but my rods and reels typically only see sweetwater when it rains...

About the only thing that sees a good rinse every trip it gets used is my wetsuit. Everything else I expect to last even with some abuse from not being wash down every day.

This is basically what I do.
Wet suit every trip.Rods an reels basically never.I try to hit my waders (breathables) an tops more often.I don't worry bout plus or hooks I just yank em off when the get iffy.On a well used plug i'll change the hooks 3-4 times a yr.The days of the finishes on hooks holding up through out the season are history.

tattoobob
05-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Change hooks when needed, rinse gear never unless it rains

gone fishin
05-21-2006, 10:47 PM
rinse when I can, but carry a spray bottle of salt off. I spray the reels and important stuff then rinse them :kewl: with fresh when I get a chance.

basswipe
05-22-2006, 10:05 PM
The key after rinsing is get the plugs out of the bag.Any plug I use gets rinsed and hung in the furnace room along with the bag.