View Full Version : Calls and Emails Needed!!! Promises (and Laws) Broken!

JohnR
05-22-2006, 11:19 PM

Recreational anglers and public access advocates of Rhode Island have many friends in the State House, but

Representative Ken Carter obviously IS NOT ONE OF THEM!

-----------

Carter legislation bans planned fishing pier, park

STATE HOUSE – Rep. Kenneth Carter (D-Dist. 31, North Kingstown, Exeter) has introduced legislation to prohibit a planned fishing pier in North Kingstown, after the old Jamestown Bridge has been demolished, as well as development of a state park at the site.

Current state law provides that a fishing pier will be built at the present site of the Jamestown Bridge by the state Department of Transportation. The law also provides that the Department of Environmental Management will develop and maintain a park on state-owned land adjacent to the bridge, on the North Kingstown side of the bay.

“This may be the intention of the DOT and the DEM,” said Representative Carter, “but I know that the residents of Saunderstown and Hamilton (sections of the
town) do not want this to happen.”

“As a Representative of the Town of North Kingstown, I want to make sure the residents are protected. I have introduced this legislation to prohibit the construction of a fishing pier and development of a park at the request of many of my constituents, and specifically Edward J. Walsh and Dr. David Ashley, who have been very outspoken on the issue,” said Representative Carter. The legislation was also requested by a Resolution of the North Kingstown Town Council.

The bill would specifically repeal R.I.G.L. section 24-12-51.1, relating to the Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge fishing area and park.

The Carter bill to KILL the Jamestown Bridge fishing pier and a public park at the site is schedule for a HEARING THIS WEDNESDAY!

It will go before House Finance Committee. It is important that representatives on this committee know how TERRIBLE this bill is!

Rep. Carter is catering to a small group of rich residents who live near the bridge and want the public kept away! A fishing pier and park at that location could benefit THOUSANDS of Rhode Islanders, not just the few who live nearby.

It's time that the OCEAN STATE live up to it's name - and not just for a few.

Send an email to every representative on the House Finance Committee and tell them they must kill the bill. (I'll post the emails in another message).

-------------------------
Condition: {List Bills: 8018}

House Bill No.8018
(by request)
BY Carter
ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO RHODE ISLAND TURNPIKE AND BRIDGE AUTHORITY --
JAMESTOWN VERRAZZANO BRIDGE -- FISHING AREA AND PARK

(repeal the section of state law requiring the director of the dept. of
transportation to retain a portion of the Jamestown Bridge for use as a fishing
pier)
{LC3047/1}

04/25/2006 Introduced, referred to House Finance
05/24/2006 Scheduled for hearing and/or consideration

The Actual posted bill:
http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/Billtext/BillText06/HouseText06/H8018.pdf

WHAT CAN YOU DO?
EMAIL!!! OR CALL!!!
Members of the House Judiciary Committee.
(note that Rep. Carter is vice chair! How convenient!)

Send an email to every one of them. Tell them you are a citizen who WANTS to see a fishing pier and public access maintained at the Jamestown Bridge site. Tell them you want Rep. Ken Carter's Bill H8018 to be killed in committee.

If you are a resident of Rep. Carter, tell him so!

Here is a link that will allow you to click on the email of each member and paste a message that you compose to each one.

Representative Kenneth Carter Vice Chairperson rep-carter@rilin.state.ri.us

Representative Arthur J. Corvese Member
rep-corvese@rilin.state.ri.us

Representative Steven M. Costantino Chairperson rep-costantino@rilin.state.ri.us

Representative Paul W. Crowley Deputy Chairperson rep-crowley@rilin.state.ri.us

Representative Elizabeth M. Dennigan Member
rep-dennigan@rilin.state.ri.us

Representative Raymond E. Gallison Jr. Member
rep-gallison@rilin.state.ri.us

Representative Robert B. Jacquard Member
rep-jacquard@rilin.state.ri.us

Representative Peter L. Lewiss Member
rep-lewiss@rilin.state.ri.us

Representative Jan Malik Vice Chairperson rep-malik@rilin.state.ri.us

Representative Victor G. Moffitt Member
rep-moffitt@rilin.state.ri.us

Representative Carol A. Mumford Member
rep-mumford@rilin.state.ri.us

Representative Eileen S. Naughton Member
rep-naughton@rilin.state.ri.us

Representative Henry C. Rose Member
rep-rose@rilin.state.ri.us

Representative William San Bento Jr. Secretary rep-sanbento@rilin.state.ri.us

Representative John A. Savage Member
rep-savage@rilin.state.ri.us

Representative Joseph H. Scott Member
rep-scott@rilin.state.ri.us

Representative John P. Shanley Jr. Member
rep-shanley@rilin.state.ri.us

Representative Thomas C. Slater Member
rep-slater@rilin.state.ri.us

Representative Anastasia Williams Member
rep-williams@rilin.state.ri.us

UPDATE!!

For those that plan to attend the hearing I was recently informed that:

The bill is in the Finance Committee not Judiciary
For those attending the hearing, it is Room 35, Basement level.
To testify: sign up with the clerk beforehand (but as was mentioned on SNESA, the numbers show the support, being there is important for those that can go, but 200 people testifying at the committee might be overkill - more important to be there.

Clammer
05-23-2006, 12:05 AM
DONE :hidin:

LT. DAN 2
05-23-2006, 05:11 AM
DONE!!

LT DAN

MakoMike
05-23-2006, 06:24 AM
My e-mail went out to every member of the committee yesterday.

"uffah!!"
05-23-2006, 06:40 AM
Already DONE! All of them, plus a few more!!

hmahady
05-23-2006, 06:49 AM
I sent an email out to everyone listed this morning. Thanks for the heads up.

Raven
05-23-2006, 06:56 AM
i think paper mail --- big paper mail ---- should be sent....also

imho. email aint nuthin... it's just..... electronic garbage...

mail is federal and all must be opened .:rtfm:

NarragansettBil
05-23-2006, 06:59 AM
Thanks

fishaholic18
05-23-2006, 07:03 AM
Done

JohnR
05-23-2006, 07:36 AM
i think paper mail --- big paper mail ---- should be sent....also

imho. email aint nuthin... it's just..... electronic garbage...

mail is federal and all must be opened .:rtfm:

Yes, a single letter is equal to 10 emails but those letters will not be received and read until after the vote takes place - that is why e-mails are important right now...

Thanks!

Johnn

Canalman
05-23-2006, 09:48 AM
Anyone from RI want to use this one, I feel like I shouldn't send it b/c I am a mass citizen :huh:

-Sir or madame,

I felt it imperative that I voice my opinion on the matter of the JamestownBridge Fishing Pier and park. Ken Carter is obviously speaking for the small, (but growing) new breed of shore dwellers that have invaded our state, with their lovely disposition and mindset. Rhode Island (don't forget, we're supposed to be
the "Ocean State") used to be a state that catered to its people by allowing accessto her shores. With the recent addition of this new canyon that separates the rich from the middle class we have seen an unwanted influx of people with more money than they know what to do with. Though there are Rhode Island laws that allow all people access to the shore, these "new people" feel it's their right and
duty as transplant citizens to remove you from the shoreline that skirts their lavish properties. This attitude is the reason why a fishing pier and park SHOULD be constructed. The pier would allow the bulk of our people to access the water without having to dodge these "chosen ones" who think they own everything they
can see from their 3 tiered decks. It would also allow the continued generational traditions of grandfathers, fathers, uncles and mothers to take their sons and daughters fishing in a safe place. Furthermore it will allow people to see our great bay from a better standpoint than peering down from the Jamestown Bridge as you whiz by
at 55 mph. This pier can only serve Rhode Islanders in the best way, the motivations of Carter and his "constituents" are selfish and derived from the mentality discussed above. I urge you to vote for the construction of the pier/park and silence those who don't want it because it might interfere with their view or because a few extra cars might roll by on the weekends.

Thank You For Your Time,

Is it too harsh???

fishaholic18
05-23-2006, 09:52 AM
I just used it Dave.:claps:

JohnR
05-23-2006, 11:38 AM
UPDATE!!

For those that plan to attend the hearing I was recently informed that:

The bill is in the Finance Committee not Judiciary
For those attending the hearing, it is Room 35, Basement level.
To testify: sign up with the clerk beforehand (but as was mentioned on SNESA, the numbers show the support, being there is important for those that can go, but 200 people testifying at the committee might be overkill - more important to be there.

smac
05-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Just sent an email to everyone on the list you provided.

JohnR
05-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Done as well...

I don't know if anyone can make it tomorrow - I can't see my getting out of work early to do so - but maybe some of you can carpool and go to the meeting - visible numbers DO help!

Thanks!

John

Springtides
05-23-2006, 01:58 PM
THE BILL HAS BEEN WITHDRAWN AND WILL NOT BE HEARD.
MEETING ON THAT BILL IS CANCELLED!!!!!!!

GOOD WORK GENTS!!!

JohnR
05-23-2006, 03:11 PM
That is good news! Just hope they don't try to sneak it through later....

vanstaal
05-23-2006, 06:51 PM
it was killed this afternoon

fishaholic18
05-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Got this reply from one of the emails I sent: "Dear David, FYI, the bill h-8018 was put in from the request of the north kingstown town council and town manager!
Also the bill has been withdrawn so there will be no hearing on it in house finance. "

:claps:

JohnR
05-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Got this reply from one of the emails I sent: "Dear David, FYI, the bill h-8018 was put in from the request of the north kingstown town council and town manager!
Also the bill has been withdrawn so there will be no hearing on it in house finance. "

:claps:

We all got that one - smells like a backpedal...

Springtides
05-24-2006, 10:40 AM
always had "by request" in its description page. The North Kingstown town Council originally passed a resolution "requesting" that it be introduced. Those are the facts of its origination.
More importantly, one of their biggest concerns (the locals) was the never ending "trash" issue.
Remember "take out what we bring in."

Let's see what DEM does to move this forward now. Here is a link to a rendering of the pier:

http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bpoladm/plandev/survpdfs/v1render.pdf