View Full Version : First post of my work

pstick
05-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Well I have been lurking on this board for a couple months now and I figured I would get the nerve to post one of my plugs I just finished.
First off though, I want to thank everyone that post on here, finding this site was one of the best things to ever happen to a guy like me.
I'm a lure nut like most of you and I spend all of my free time in the garage making plugs or spoons. I started making spoons about 2 years ago and I just now started making plugs. This all came about because Allan Cole and Mike Shaw wouldn't give me unpainted plugs so I could paint them. I decided the best thing to do was to just make my own. I don't own a lathe but I do have a dremel, files, air brush and good imagination.

I live in Southern California so the plug to make is big rainbows. this one isn't that big though, it only measures 8"

ProfessorM
05-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Very nice work. P.

ThrowingTimber
05-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Excellent work!! Welcome to the madness!!!!

pstick
05-27-2006, 01:01 PM
thanks guys. I know what you mean about madness, I can't stop. here's some more pics that show it a little better. I have a really hard time taking pics for some reason.

Backbeach Jake
05-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Sweet, sweet work!

Kadywampus
05-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Nice job , it's always good to see new wood .:kewl:

Charleston
05-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Well you have have made one hell of a start:hihi: Very nice looking plug. As far as having the nerve to post, just do it evryone had to start sometime!!
Thanks for sharing and welcome.

Young Salt
05-27-2006, 02:52 PM
very cool :btu:

numbskull
05-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Way cool. Nothing like starting at the top.

justplugit
05-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Beautiful work. :kewl: And now that your becoming addicited, think of all the money you'll save makin your own. :D

partsjay
05-28-2006, 12:11 AM
Great Work!!

Karl F
05-28-2006, 07:44 AM
First :huh:... uh.. excuse me, I need to go whack my lathe, drill press, band saw, etc. with a sledge hammer now ;)..
Like NS said, might as well come in at the top
NICE Plug.. and JPI.. ya :hihi:.. build 'em, save money... yeah.. right!

Tagger
05-28-2006, 08:16 AM
:wid: :kewl: And now that your becoming addicited, think of all the money you'll save makin your own. :D
Yea whats he talking about ?? If I had JPI's money I'd burn mine .. Great plug .. your off and running ... lets see the blades your making ..

pstick
05-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Yea whats he talking about ?? If I had JPI's money I'd burn mine .. Great plug .. your off and running ... lets see the blades your making ..

Thanks Everyone.

Here's some pics of the spoons I have been making for couple years now. You won't find spoons like this in the store:hihi:

justplugit
05-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Yea whats he talking about ?? If I had JPI's money I'd burn mine .

Tagga,you should have alot more $ than me as you've been buildin longer. :huh: :laughs: :rotf3: :laughs:

Beautiful blades pstick, true artistry.:kewl:

jomlt9@AOL.COM
05-29-2006, 04:41 PM
thanks for the fix:spin:

gone fishin
05-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Beautiful plug -- i wish my slabs would look like that!! Great finish, what did you coat them with to preserve the finish?:claps: :claps:

Slipknot
05-30-2006, 07:45 AM
NICE :btu:

justplugit
05-30-2006, 11:54 AM
SG33, you guys imitating rainbows for the hybrids, or steelhead for the salt, or both. :huh:

pstick
05-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Another builder from Cali Welcome to the maddness. Very nice jointed rainbow trout. :kewl: If you ever want to swap postage would be dirt cheap;) Here's a rainbow I did not long ago.

swap? lol no way man, I wouldn't even sell them. They take me way too long to make. I would be willing to paint one of yours for you though, for free of course. I'm not out to make money, I just enjoy making and painting fish.

Right now the lure is just coated with a thick layer of house of kolor clear with micro flake. I was thinking of using aristicrat but i have never used it before so I don't want to ruin my plug that took me so long to make.

The reason we make baby rainbows is because out here in the west all of our lakes are stocked with trout and the big stripers and Large mouths love them little stockers. This is the same story for the big rainbows and Browns in the higher elevation lakes. This particular plug in this thread was made to mimic the baby rainbows in the high country as they have brighter coloring. Stockers are more plain in color.

reelecstasy
05-30-2006, 02:01 PM
very nice, gotta love new wood

Striperknight
05-30-2006, 02:11 PM
swap? lol no way man, I wouldn't even sell them. They take me way too long to make. I would be willing to paint one of yours for you though, for free of course. I'm not out to make money, I just enjoy making and painting fish.

Right now the lure is just coated with a thick layer of house of kolor clear with micro flake. I was thinking of using aristicrat but i have never used it before so I don't want to ruin my plug that took me so long to make.

The reason we make baby rainbows is because out here in the west all of our lakes are stocked with trout and the big stripers and Large mouths love them little stockers. This is the same story for the big rainbows and Browns in the higher elevation lakes. This particular plug in this thread was made to mimic the baby rainbows in the high country as they have brighter coloring. Stockers are more plain in color.

How long does it take you to paint that plug?

pstick
05-30-2006, 05:14 PM
How long does it take you to paint that plug?

If it's hot then I can paint them in about 30 minutes with no scale patterns. If I do decide to put the scale screening on then I do as much as I can first then clear coat and let it dry a day before I touch it with the screening. I'm really big on doing several layers and paint over certain colors to create other colors. In the case of this plug, I painted the back blue then just a dusting of olive over it and then a little purple over that and then gold candy over it. The gold turns the blue green, the purple to a brown/green and to top it off it looks like it's got gold flake all through. really cool stuff.

libassboy
05-30-2006, 09:34 PM
looks good to me:humpty:
sporty u get that email?