View Full Version : Plugs For Cuttyhunk

The Dad Fisherman
06-01-2006, 07:26 AM
I'll be making my 1st journey to the Hallowed Grounds at the end of the month and I was wondering what Types of lures and Colors seem to be the best producers out there. I have a few ideas what to bring but curious as to what I may be missing.

Want to hit the man cave and make a few for the trip.

As always any help is Much Appreciated

Flaptail
06-01-2006, 07:30 AM
Surface oriented lures such as Danny's, Pencils and spooks will be your best bet especially if fishing from shore. Pearl White, Pearl White w/ light pink sides, Yellow/silver sides and pearl belly and Black/gold.
Flaptails will work also and if fishing at night Nebe's Surfhog and rubber like that.

Aqua-man
06-01-2006, 09:51 AM
I've always had luck in the morning with skinny polaris type poppers, off white with a red head, and copper over off white pencils. Like Flap said, surf hogs at night. I'll be plugging out there this weekend, If there hitting anything in paticular, I'll let you know.
Tom

partsjay
06-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Commando trip?

luds
06-01-2006, 11:11 AM
NEEDLES?

I'll also be making my first trip at the end of the month.

Finaddict
06-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Just bring everything you've got, including the kitchen sink ... :rotfl: That way, you won't be out of anything.

BigFish
06-01-2006, 12:28 PM
Wooden plugs!:drool: :uhuh:

Slipknot
06-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Just bring everything you've got, including the kitchen sink ... :rotfl: That way, you won't be out of anything.

I can relate

:hidin:

Slingah
06-01-2006, 12:45 PM
I can relate

I'll never forget you and Dave dumping and rummaging through all your plugs on the sand that nite:hihi: .....I looked at all that wood and was dizzy....I think I had like 4 plugs:rotf3:

Slingah
06-01-2006, 12:48 PM
sorry for the hi-jack Dad.....bring em' all so you won't drive your self nuts wishing you brought the ones you really needed:hee:

The Dad Fisherman
06-01-2006, 01:30 PM

I'll bring my Son and tell him He's working on his Pack-Mule Merit Badge...:hihi:

I

JohnR
06-01-2006, 01:36 PM
I can relate

http://www.striped-bass.com/images/slip_cutty.jpg

This picture does not do justice...

ThrowingTimber
06-01-2006, 02:38 PM
yellow red head long island fish in vermont pencil poppers :kewl:

nightfighter
06-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Yeah boys, it's coming up!!!!
TDF, double up your production....some for me, and some for swapping/hoeing.
Slip, that is a classic memory I carry from those trips. If they only knew what you had to leave back at the house and how long it took to load your drag bag!

afterhours
06-01-2006, 04:04 PM
cuttyhunk!.....slowly i turned, step by step, inch by inch.....great place!!!! had some luck on pearl, yellow, blonde and white and red topwater stuff last year.

shadow
06-01-2006, 05:06 PM
I'am going out there on the 17th going to bring a few plugs but alot of eels too!

tlapinski
06-01-2006, 05:46 PM
Eels have served me well out there, but most of my 30#+ have come on plugs (2 on eels and 12+ on plugs). Many plugs have worked for me. The Buzzard's bay side is where my eel success has come. The point by Sow & Pigs through the bass clubs is where plugs shine. Tattoo's danny worked really well for me along the rocky shoreline, while darters, long casting stubby needles, and pencil poppers at 1st & last light have been key at the point. Bring something "squid-like" as the Canalman pencil I took 6 30's on looked very much like a squid. I found working along the shoreline by the bass stands, as opposed to casting out to sea, payed off well also. I now keep it simple when I head out there and keep my selection limited to the following:
- 1 pencil popper like a Gibbs canal special or Canalman in white or yellow/white
- a dark and a light colored Habs 2 ounce needle
- a dark and a light colored Tattoo danny
- a dark and a light colored darter (Tattoo or Super Strike)
- a couple stubby needles like the Super Strike bullets
- maybe a Giant Pikie or an Atom 40
- maybe a bag of eels just in case

Pete F.
06-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Bring what ya want, but take a walk on the bluffs pat the bass club at low tide and look, you will see.

Slipknot
06-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Eels have served me well out there, but most of my 30#+ have come on plugs (2 on eels and 12+ on plugs). Many plugs have worked for me.

:eek:
14 fish over 30 pounds out at the hunk? :shocked:
I don't know if I have that many 30's in my life :hidin: I guess I better spend more time fishing and less time choosing which plugs.

Classic picture John, I couldn't find that one.

Slingah, that was only one bag, you should have seen me out on cuttyhunk :rollem: next time I am following toby

likwid
06-01-2006, 10:15 PM
:eek:
14 fish over 30 pounds out at the hunk? :shocked:

thats a slow night on cuttyhunk.

Goose
06-01-2006, 10:40 PM
http://www.striped-bass.com/images/slip_cutty.jpg

This picture does not do justice...

John, you took the image out of my mind.

tlapinski
06-02-2006, 06:38 AM
Slip, I have been fortunate enough to have been on the island when big fish have moved through. I still think about what I could have landed had I not made mistakes on a couple fish I hooked. Three of us last fall hooked into multiple fish each during an epic blitz that made us look and feel silly. Only a couple times in my life have I felt under gunned, and last year's blitz was one of them. If you truly try to target the big girls, they can be found. I feel your odds of hooking a monster go up 10x out there. Unfortunately, your odds of landing her after hooking up go down just as much. As anyone that has been out there knows, it is not the easiest place to fight and land a good fish. You need to be willing to sacrifice your safety at times just to get a hand on her. We still re-live stories of that night and my landing techniques.

JohnR
06-02-2006, 08:51 AM
We still re-live stories of that night and my landing techniques.

Please tell! :tooth:

Yes, that place has all the ingredients! As well as a high factor to break your assbone and need to wait until mid day to get back to civilization...

Flaptail
06-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Tape your ankles, and yes, I am serious.

Canalman
06-02-2006, 12:18 PM
TDF,

If you want a few Real-Eels to take a long PM me and I have some pencils too :devil:

-Dave

The Dad Fisherman
06-02-2006, 12:56 PM
TDF,

If you want a few Real-Eels to take a long PM me and I have some pencils too :devil:

-Dave

:drool: PM Sent

Redsoxticket
06-02-2006, 05:26 PM

What kind of tape?

JohnR
06-02-2006, 05:27 PM

Tape for ticks or tape for support?

Goose
06-02-2006, 07:01 PM
What kind of tape?

Scotch

NIB
06-02-2006, 07:53 PM
Thats a great picture.
Toby ur my idol.

Skitterpop
06-02-2006, 08:17 PM
What kind of tape?

I would use light weight ace bandages...ankle support and help with the boulders

tlapinski
06-03-2006, 06:12 AM
Please tell! :tooth:

Yes, that place has all the ingredients! As well as a high factor to break your assbone and need to wait until mid day to get back to civilization...
As I said, we had a good pod of fish set up in a bowl with mullet pinned against the shore. I noticed a nice boulder about 20' from shore that looked like perfect casting platform. Only problem was that the surf was up and the water was close to neck deep to get to the rock. Oh well, the fish were in and it was the 3rd and final night of our trip. The one night I didn't wear my wetsuit too. I figured there was nothing to loose so I just went for it. First cast, I was on. Since I pretty much swam to my rock, to land fish from there I had to jump in and swim them back to shore. The waves were breaking at my waist on the rock so landing on it was near impossible. At times I was actually fighting the fish behind me since the water was so deep off the rock. I would jump off the rock when they went to shore, fight the waves and fish, then pretty much bear hug the fish when they would swim into me. It's pretty cool being one on one with a bass in a roaring surf. I was taking waves over my head, going under water, and coming up with 25#+ bass in my hands on fish after fish. Adam hooked into a nice one at one point, but he was back on the shore. Oh well, back into the water for me. As he stood up on the shore, I went head long into the waves and came out with his 2nd 35 of the blitz. Then there was Andy's fish. She just would not come back to life for him, so it was out into the seas to try to get her going. I spent a good 10 minutes trying to swim her back to life. Unfortunately, it was not to be for her that night and I had to reluctantly toss her on the beach. Waves crashing over my head, drags screaming all around us, it was truly my heaven that night. When it was all but done, our little group was finished. The sun was starting to come up and we were dead tired. One by one we put the night to rest. Make one last cast or two, then join the others at the base of the dune for a chance to reflect. We all kind of stood there for a few minutes in complete silence at first, just taking in all that had gone on over the past 6 hours. We had found fish at every spot we tried, and nothing seemed to be wrong. As we made our way to the top of the bluff, I had to stop and look down on the bowl. The sun was just starting to come up and everything seemed so peaceful for me. Had I not been a part of the blitz, I would have had no idea what had gone on the past few hours by simply looking at the water. The surf had settled down, the fished moved on, and the only signs of life were the shore birds starting to wake up and the one lonely boat sitting at the edge of the bowl bobbing up and down in the remaining waves. Very few times in my life have I felt the way I did at that moment. All was right in my world. This was an experience I will not soon forget.

I have been fortunate to have some memorable nights out there in just a short amount of time. Regardless of where the rest of my surf career takes me, I will not soon forget the time spent on Cuttyhunk with some of my closest freinds banging away at bass. For a true striped bass-a-holic, part of you never leaves the island.

tlapinski
06-03-2006, 06:17 AM
Toby ur my idol.
NIB, I'm just lucky. I think anyone that puts a couple nights in out there can have similar results.

Slingah
06-03-2006, 07:01 AM
As I said, we had a good pod of fish set up in a bowl with mullet pinned against the shore. I noticed a nice boulder about 20' from shore that looked like perfect casting platform. Only problem was that the surf was up and the water was close to neck deep to get to the rock. Oh well, the fish were in and it was the 3rd and final night of our trip. The one night I didn't wear my wetsuit too. I figured there was nothing to loose so I just went for it. First cast, I was on. Since I pretty much swam to my rock, to land fish from there I had to jump in and swim them back to shore. The waves were breaking at my waist on the rock so landing on it was near impossible. At times I was actually fighting the fish behind me since the water was so deep off the rock. I would jump off the rock when they went to shore, fight the waves and fish, then pretty much bear hug the fish when they would swim into me. It's pretty cool being one on one with a bass in a roaring surf. I was taking waves over my head, going under water, and coming up with 25#+ bass in my hands on fish after fish. Adam hooked into a nice one at one point, but he was back on the shore. Oh well, back into the water for me. As he stood up on the shore, I went head long into the waves and came out with his 2nd 35 of the blitz. Then there was Andy's fish. She just would not come back to life for him, so it was out into the seas to try to get her going. I spent a good 10 minutes trying to swim her back to life. Unfortunately, it was not to be for her that night and I had to reluctantly toss her on the beach. Waves crashing over my head, drags screaming all around us, it was truly my heaven that night. When it was all but done, our little group was finished. The sun was starting to come up and we were dead tired. One by one we put the night to rest. Make one last cast or two, then join the others at the base of the dune for a chance to reflect. We all kind of stood there for a few minutes in complete silence at first, just taking in all that had gone on over the past 6 hours. We had found fish at every spot we tried, and nothing seemed to be wrong. As we made our way to the top of the bluff, I had to stop and look down on the bowl. The sun was just starting to come up and everything seemed so peaceful for me. Had I not been a part of the blitz, I would have had no idea what had gone on the past few hours by simply looking at the water. The surf had settled down, the fished moved on, and the only signs of life were the shore birds starting to wake up and the one lonely boat sitting at the edge of the bowl bobbing up and down in the remaining waves. Very few times in my life have I felt the way I did at that moment. All was right in my world. This was an experience I will not soon forget.

I have been fortunate to have some memorable nights out there in just a short amount of time. Regardless of where the rest of my surf career takes me, I will not soon forget the time spent on Cuttyhunk with some of my closest freinds banging away at bass. For a true striped bass-a-holic, part of you never leaves the island.
great story T-Lap.....memories like that are forever...thanks for sharing it

In The Surf
06-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Absolutely great story Toby, wish it was on video. Now that's what I would call reality TV.

NIB
06-03-2006, 12:15 PM
NIB, I'm just lucky. I think anyone that puts a couple nights in out there can have similar results.

U Have been there,an u have the same passion for the sport that I do but it's in a much younger body.45 is not old but a lifetime of tilework makes some rockhoppin more difficult.I don't complain I still will go where most won't.
Nice story.I have shared similar fishing experiences with good friends of mine.Not to worry they will never evaporate.In part its one of the reasons we do what we do.U never know when the next memory of a lifetime will come.Hope u have many more.

tlapinski
06-03-2006, 12:32 PM
NIB, I'm not that young anymore myself. Pushing 28 now.... :hee:

nightfighter
06-19-2006, 07:12 PM
so now that we've had a few groups return from the island, what was taking fish?

BigFish
06-19-2006, 07:19 PM
As in your pm Ross, had we been able to employ more swimmers/dannies.....they surely would have brought up the bigger fish. It was very, VERY weedy and the only decent fish I had on took a danny on one of the very few weedless retrieves I was able to manage. Make sure you are armed with killer swimmers and use them when you can....otherwise.....make some noise on top!

Tagger
06-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Cutty ? A madman told me "Predators",, He may be insane though ..

Finaddict
06-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Larry,

I already spoke to Don about the trip several times, can't get it out of my blood and I fear that Ross' invitation will spoil me forever ... hmm ... I wonder what kind of job market they have out on Cutty? ...

... anyway, the weed, was it everywhere you went or was it limited to one side of the island? Our trip is about two weeks off, so I'm not expecting the same conditions, however, can you easily fish one side of the island or another? I know transportation is all on foot, but how is getting around the island? I'm a stubborn and determined angler who just wants to catch fish, so I will walk through fire to get to fish.

Andy

BigFish
06-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Andy....we walked alot of turf and left no stone unplugged! The weed was definitely a negative factor. The sun was bright during the day with no cloud cover what so ever so naturally the fish were not that active. Metal lipped swimmers would have been the order of the day as I did get a nice fish on one of the few weedless retrieves I made however I dropped it!:rollem: By night the bite was just as slow and you needed swimmers to raise the fish and the weed prohibited us from using them as much as we wanted. You will fish mostly the eastern portion of the island....follow those that are in your party....they have been there or at least a few of them. Plug every boulder you can and leave none unplugged.:rocketem:

Slipknot
06-19-2006, 09:30 PM
Cutty ? A madman told me "Predators",, He may be insane though ..

the one time I have fished there at night from shore, my copies of a predator were the only plug I had hits on so I will have the "Alien" in my bag this Sept. when I return for sure.

ThrowingTimber
06-20-2006, 12:56 PM

Inner tube. We use it when we're shooting birds in mud. slide the inner tube over your boot. Holding it out in front of you, give it a half twist, so it looks like a figure 8 now. Now run it through your boot again, so it catches your boot at its narrowest point. Holds korkers on nice too.