View Full Version : Taking a fish home

bloocrab
06-03-2006, 11:40 PM
What state or condition must a striper be in.... when we transport it to the car for the ride home?

Can it be bled?
Can it be gutted?
Can it be de-scaled?

If the fish meets the legal length requirements, we should be able to bleed, gut and descale it.....right??

Where does one find the correct and legal answers to questions like these?

I was told years ago, that you had to take it home intact, meaning you coudn't gut/bleed or de-scale it...not sure though.

JohnR
06-03-2006, 11:46 PM
In Mass (and most states) you can eviscerate the fish to bleed it, check the stomach, etc but the fish must remain otherwise intact from tail to jaw to provide accurate length...

RI :hee:

bloocrab
06-04-2006, 12:08 AM
Do they list it in that type of detail in the DEM hand-book/website? I coudn't find it...

:read:

Backbeach Jake
06-04-2006, 04:32 AM
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recreationalfishing/rec_index.htm#finfish
You might have to scroll down a little..

Karl F
06-04-2006, 06:21 AM
On this same topic.. Has anybody, ever been checked? :huh:

MAC
06-04-2006, 06:44 AM
On this same topic.. Has anybody, ever been checked? :huh:

Once on the canal a few years ago when I was live lining. I gave a small keeper away to an older gentleman (82) who couldn't hook a fish. I hooked the fish on his line and flipped it back out in the water. It was worth it just to see the look on the guys face. He had his hands full. He brought it back in and I carried it up for him. Not a minute later the fish cops were right there wanting to check the fish. I knew it was 28 7/8" long so it wouldn't be a problem. My only concern was that it wasn't legal to give a fish away like that and keep a fish for myself. (limit was 1 at the time). The officer just wanted to check the length. I put it on the board on his tailgate and he told me ; " Keep the mouth closed and you can pinch the tail if you want". Low and behold 28 7/8". The officer said ok, thanks and let the old guy take the fish. As he was walking away he says "Thanks for the fish Dave". :smash: He was like a young kid carrying the fish back to his car and all smiles. The officer drove away and didn't say a word.

Goose
06-04-2006, 07:05 AM
Fillet knife and zip-locks bags in your bag/truck, don't leave home without'um, makes less work/mess at home. Bigger bass heads go home for boiling.

nightfighter
06-04-2006, 07:36 AM
Like Goose, I have fillet kit and ziplocks in rig. 99% of the time, I clean fish at club dock or public ramp at head of the harbor, as both have hoses available. Only fish that made it to the house whole was a 48" that I had to show to the kids when they were younger, and still shorter than that fish.

Roger
06-04-2006, 08:58 AM
Do they list it in that type of detail in the DEM hand-book/website? I coudn't find it...

RI has no restriction on handling the bass. You can cut it any time.

macojoe
06-04-2006, 09:26 AM
I bring my fish to shore whole, then clean and fillet at dock. I have never been checked!!

I did have a fish cop ck once when I had 200 punds Fluke in a cooler, That guy went to his truck came back with a glove to his shoulder! Dug to the bottom looking for shorts, Never found any!! :hf1:

smac
06-04-2006, 08:13 PM
I clean em before heading to the house. Never been checked. Knock on wood.

Karl F
06-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Talked to some of my son's friends who mate on charter boats.. every fish, bass or blue, the customer wants, gets filletted on the boat on the ride back, they throw the racks in a fish box for the lobster guys for trap bait.. fillets goes home in ziplock bags..

walk any cape beach first light/false dawn.. lotsa racks in the wash... fillet and released.. :huh:.. no harm, no foul, the crabs, and birds have it all gone by 7AM