View Full Version : Down at the Willows last night

MrHunters
06-05-2006, 10:20 AM
My gf and I went down to the willows last night for an after dinner ice cream. We walked down to the pier and a guy had just pulled in a barely 28 inch striper. I mean, he was pulling that thing on both ends to make it 28. The salem HM was on the pier and came over to make sure everything was legit... I was happy about that but it appeared he blessed the catch and that was that.

Maybe its because all I see are people posting enormous fish on here or maybe I just have a bias against alot of the people that fish down there having seen some that werent even close being kept in the past but how many of you would have thrown that one back if you were planning on keeping one for the day? Grant it it was legal, just curious.

JFigliuolo
06-05-2006, 10:29 AM
My gf and I went down to the willows last night for an after dinner ice cream. We walked down to the pier and a guy had just pulled in a barely 28 inch striper. I mean, he was pulling that thing on both ends to make it 28. The salem HM was on the pier and came over to make sure everything was legit... I was happy about that but it appeared he blessed the catch and that was that.

Maybe its because all I see are people posting enormous fish on here or maybe I just have a bias against alot of the people that fish down there having seen some that werent even close being kept in the past but how many of you would have thrown that one back if you were planning on keeping one for the day? Grant it it was legal, just curious.

If it WAS legal? I would rather keep a 28-32 for the table. Less waste for only 2 people.

MrHunters
06-05-2006, 10:33 AM
If it WAS legal? I would rather keep a 28-32 for the table. Less waste for only 2 people.

i hear the smaller keepers taste alot better than the biggins', being that i have never caught anything enourmous i have nothing to compare too.

I guess i just know how they fish down there so I had a knee jerk reaction about it. Anyone can find and extra 2 inches if they really want to.

CANAL RAT
06-05-2006, 01:56 PM
you can squeeze the fork of the tail togeather and make it strech to 28

zacs
06-05-2006, 02:05 PM
...Anyone can find and extra 2 inches if they really want to.

..um not really. just ask my wife!:hidin:

Seriously though, either the fish measures or it doesn't. i don't see anything wrong with keeping a fish that is 28" on the nose with the tail squeezed. Are you saying you would rather see people keep cows???

Fishpart
06-05-2006, 02:22 PM
28 is 28........If I was planning on keeping a fish that would be the one............

MrHunters
06-05-2006, 02:53 PM
..um not really. just ask my wife!:hidin:

Seriously though, either the fish measures or it doesn't. i don't see anything wrong with keeping a fish that is 28" on the nose with the tail squeezed. Are you saying you would rather see people keep cows???

no, just 28 and above. like i said, lots of times last year i saw people around that area just bag em and take em home. no where close.

I guess if it was "that" close i, personally wouldn't keep it. No worth what could happen and the lil guy needs to grow up big and strong anyway :musc:

Adamfishes
06-05-2006, 03:45 PM
sounds tastey

kippy
06-05-2006, 03:53 PM
I like the barely legals as well..much tastier! Let the cows go free (unless its a 50)

RIROCKHOUND
06-05-2006, 03:59 PM
You would think all of the above is true, but I took multiple fish in the 20's and low 30's last year that were among the best eating stripers I've had. I think it's all preperation, storage and cooking, fish size is irrelevant IMHO...
I generally view 36" as my eating limit, under that goes back for a swim... over 36" gets released too if I'm not looking to kill.

The Dad Fisherman
06-05-2006, 04:04 PM
I like the barely legals as well..much tastier! Let the cows go free (unless its a 50)

There are just SOOOO Many things I can say about this statement :hihi:

as far as letting the cows go free, there is a direct correlation to how many beers have been swilled and/or proximity to last call as to whether they all go free...:hee:

Mike P
06-05-2006, 07:00 PM
You would think all of the above is true, but I took multiple fish in the 20's and low 30's last year that were among the best eating stripers I've had. I think it's all preperation, storage and cooking, fish size is irrelevant IMHO...

I agree. We just had some fillets from a 25 pounder and they were among the tastiest I ever had.

I think the taste also gets affected by what they're feeding on.

Slingah
06-05-2006, 07:15 PM
I just ate some of the best tasting filet-o-striper from a 36" :drool:

to stay with the thread...and answer your question.. I hardly ever plan on keeping a fish. I only keep a fish if I don't think it's going to make it...or maybe for a special occasion.

tattoobob
06-05-2006, 08:37 PM
I think if it messures 28 and you want to keep it you can, if not well I am not going to say a thing to no one, I just mind my own business

I was sitting in my little boat with my Daughter and a man was fishing from shore with his two little sons he caught a 14 inch striper and keep it, my daughter kept saying tell him dad, I told her I am not saying anything to him in front of his two sons if he has enough brains he should know the rules of the game.

Saltheart
06-05-2006, 09:54 PM
It would depend on two things. How long it took me to catch it and how bad I needed a fish. If I had hungry people to feed , that fish is a meal. If I could take it or leave it , I'd have gone for something bigger to take home , something obviously over the limit without even measuring.

MrHunters
06-06-2006, 07:15 AM
It would depend on two things. How long it took me to catch it and how bad I needed a fish. If I had hungry people to feed , that fish is a meal. If I could take it or leave it , I'd have gone for something bigger to take home , something obviously over the limit without even measuring.

After I thought about it for a while thats how I took it.

piemma
06-07-2006, 09:44 AM
I generally view 36" as my eating limit, under that goes back for a swim... over 36" gets released too if I'm not looking to kill.
I agree!! Had my kids home over the weekend and we had grilled bass and baked bass. I have never been able to tell the difference between a 15lb and a 30lb fish as far as taste. Maybe 28" fish taste better but I won't take anything under 15lbs.

t.orlando
06-07-2006, 10:50 AM
. I have never been able to tell the difference between a 15lb and a 30lb fish as far as taste. Maybe 28" fish taste better but I won't take anything under 15lbs.
Ditto on that

RIROCKHOUND
06-07-2006, 11:37 AM
It's more any ego thing than anything... I dont want to be seen walking off with a fish under 15lbs :D

keeperreaper
06-07-2006, 12:26 PM

I'm not even going to say what I want to.

keeperreaper
06-07-2006, 12:28 PM
I agree with kippy the barely legals do taste better!!

ENCMSW
06-07-2006, 01:27 PM
If the fish was in good shape it would depend on what I had in the freezer.

parker23
06-07-2006, 03:42 PM
I have been eating bass for the last 4 days for lunch and dinner. I prep it different ways and I love every bite. The fish was 27# and a great feed. Tonight is my last meal. Grilled bass w/apple wood chips and a pesto rub. Accompanied by a tomato, basil, mango, lime zest and juice and x-virg olive oil. Totally kick butt recipe.

I will keep another fish in 2 weeks, hopefully large enough for many meals. I eat fish at least 3 meals a week all year. Summer is reserved for Striper/Tuna.That is how I maintain my lean 280# 5’10” physique.