View Full Version : Pond/Water feature question - ATTN LANDSCAPERS

spence
06-05-2006, 10:31 AM
As part of my yard rehab I'm planning on using the natural slope of our property to install a small water feature next to our patio.

Dims of the pond area painted on the photo are about 6X8'. The wall is about 3' high and it's about 5' from pond grade to the head.

Question. I'm planning on rebuilding the stone wall...but what extra care should I take in placing the pond so close to the wall? Difficult to see in the photo, but the wall just turns into a row of stones on the surface as the slope of the small hill forms.

I was thinking of building a 24" deep stone footing that would sit alongside the back edge of the pond, or perhaps even make this exposed and build the wall on the inside of the liner...

Ideas? I know we have some landscapers our there :)

thanks,

-spence

jim sylvester
06-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Spence,
just remember that the depth of the pond has to be at least 3'deep

"uffah!!"
06-05-2006, 12:54 PM
And remember, raising Herring or Black Salties is ILLEGAL in Tiverton!!!!

spence
06-05-2006, 01:01 PM
You know...if I couldn't buy Black Salty's just down the road...you know what this thing would be filled with :hee:

3 feet in the deepest spot for sure, at least that's what I've read is necessary so the little buggers can winter over.

-spence

basswipe
06-05-2006, 04:05 PM
I've done a few ponds in my time.

There doesn't seem to be any foreseable problems as far as I can tell from the pic.The only thing I can recommend is that there is enough fill between the liner and the wall so that the grade and shape of the pond is functional.Sand makes the best fill.

In an aside you may wish to run a random pattern of fishing line across the top of the pond.If Egrets and the like spot your fish they will have a field day.

MAC
06-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Why 3' deep? The pond in our back yard is only maybe 14" deep and it holds goldfish or koy over every winter. It gets covered with a layer of plywood and about 2' of pine needles and they do great. (pond is cement not ABS though)

spence
06-05-2006, 04:26 PM
I've seen 2 and 3 feet...I guess it would depend on what frost zone you lived.

-spence