View Full Version : trolling with dodgers and bait

Mal Greene
05-02-2002, 06:43 AM
Has anybody out there ever tried trolling with dodgers and bait for stripers. While I detest trolling I've been thiking about trying a large dodger with a mackerel. Just curious as to what you veteran trollers would think.:) Mal

fishsmith
05-02-2002, 03:35 PM
Hello Mal,

What is a dodger?

Jackie O
05-02-2002, 04:43 PM
Ive only used a dodger in fresh water to add action to a bait. A bait fish may be a little heavy. What I do use is a stainless spinner in line above a bait. Dont tell anyone but it works it realy works good. On those slow days I think it adds just enough flash to bring attention to your offering. Jackie O

nor-easter
05-02-2002, 10:38 PM
The "Dodger" is a large silver or sometimes multi-colored "flasher" that is trolled on your leader with a plug or in the case above a rigged bait fish on the back of the dodger variable in spacing from two to six feet.
The Dodger is a transplant from the commercial Salmon Trollers on the West Coast. They have really perfected the Flasher stuff and if you run a search on commercioal salmon fishing supplys you will be amazed at the hard plastics and the soft rubber stuff they use out there and sometimes works well here on the east coast.
One thing about fishing. Don't be afraid to experiment. Especially when you are "getting in to them". You know they are there cause they are hitting xyz bait. Try something else and if it works, try another lure or method, like the flasher or dodger. You can always go back to the first bait to check that the fish are still there.
It is difficult to experiment but some body has to do it!
Post and let us know how you make out!

GBOUTDOORS
05-03-2002, 05:47 AM
Wise words from a wise (old) fisherman!;)

Mal Greene
05-03-2002, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the input folks I appreciate it. I think I'll give it a try. A nice seven inch tinker behind a silver/gold nine inch dodger ought to work.Wonder if I should put a big hook on the dodger? Just in case.

Mal

nor-easter
05-03-2002, 10:01 PM
Mal, if you get some real whacks but the tinker still swims then youi know it was the Dodger that she wants. Take the leader off the back of the dodger and mount a nice big hook in its place. If that big girl whacks it then you should come up with a nice fish!
Good Luck
Post results.

Fishguts
05-05-2002, 01:00 AM
I know They use them on the great lakes to catch some monster lake trout and salmon. Here in the west I have used them at lake powell to catch some good size stripers. you may also want to try to use pop gear trailing a worm.

Homerun04
05-05-2002, 04:44 PM
I fish Hakai Pass (British Columbia) every summer for King and Coho Salmon. I have always wanted to try to troll a cut plug herring for stripers here in the east the way they do for Salmon out there. Got the boat this winter, and wil try the technique later this summer. Wil report results.