View Full Version : Welcome to my nightmare

ProfessorM
06-06-2006, 03:57 PM
This what I have been dealing with the last few weeks. First it was the forest tent caterpillars, then the tent caterpillars, and now the gypsy moth caterpillars, plus throw in the winter moth's and this year has been brutal. All the oaks and such have been denuded like a forest fire came threw and it is very widespread. I have to go up and clean out the caterpillar shi%$&#* by hand or the gutters will overflow and make a giant mess:yak4: Talk about disgusting and the smell is lovely:drool: .Never did get sprayed by the guy. He was too busy. 3rd year in a row now. I have had to spray chemicals on my ornamentals because they are after those now because they are running out of stuff to eat. It is so bad that they are eating pines, spruce and even eating grass. It is coming your way if you are to the south of me. Enjoy. Paul

Moses
06-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Paul - I know exactly how you feel. Thank god I don't have a lot of trees that overhang my house. Although I do keep my boat under two oaks and within a day it is covered with sh$t from the caterpillars. Takes me a good 30 minutes to clean the boat cover prior to any boat trips.

Moses
06-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Funny, check out the second story down. I leave S-B and head over to check out any news thoughts/stories and see this.....

http://www.barstoolsports.com/

"El Presidente" always has an opinion on important, relative matters.

PS - The Photo section is also very nice. Sorry to semi hijack this thread.

Slingah
06-06-2006, 06:26 PM
I just cleaned mine by hand tonite too Paul...that smell makes me want to hurl.....mosquitos galore!!!

Bigcat
06-06-2006, 06:52 PM
At my house it is so bad you can't do anything outdoors.
The boat, forget about it I wash it 4 times a day.
I have been spraying but it don't seem to work,when is this going to end?

Squid kids Dad
06-06-2006, 09:20 PM
I really should not say anything..(knock on a wood plug) but in my area so far I have been lucky..(Whitman)

backbeach
06-07-2006, 07:47 AM
I'm getting the problem in East Bridgewater, boat is covered with a tarp- which is a mess. The truck is covered with leaves and crap so fast you can't keep up, only the rain clears it-I can't bother. If I work on the boat I try to make it a quick job before it fills with junk... freaking locusts!!!:af:

HighTide
06-07-2006, 08:59 AM
I got those caterpillars too, tho not as bad. I got some oaks in the backyard that are still dropping those brown things (whatever you call them). farkin mess.:mad:

Swimmer
06-07-2006, 09:13 AM
I'll give them any tree in th yard as long as they stay off my friekin fruit trees. First year that buds didn't drop due to late frost and I actually having apples and peaches coming. Spraying quite a bit between SEVEN, Bonide All Seasons fruit tree spray and diazinon. End up spraying quite a bit because of rain washing mixtures off of the leaves. I feel bad Paul for you and the other guys who have it that bad. Haven't seen like that around here ever. Good luck.

Slipknot
06-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Those friggin catipillars are disgusting.
I hate them and the mess they make. I already cleaned out my gutters, hosed off the driveway area 3 times.I can't stand the things hanging from those cobwebs and walking into them:af:

fishsmith
06-07-2006, 09:35 AM
On a side road leaving Myles Standish State Forest last week, I thought i had small rocks in my tires, I slowed down and realized the road was full of catapillers, it was trippy, the road looked alive, the sound was popping pillers. :yak4:

Slingah
06-07-2006, 11:10 AM
I got those caterpillars too, tho not as bad. I got some oaks in the backyard that are still dropping those brown things (whatever you call them). farkin mess.:mad:
not to many pillers for me either
the gutters were full of those things from the oaks

ProfessorM
06-07-2006, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE=Swimmer]I'll give them any tree in th yard as long as they stay off my friekin fruit trees. QUOTE]

I did get to them with the sevin before they got my peaches and pears but they ruined my apples and the winter moths got to all my blueberries. Those damn winter moths actually get into the buds before anything leafs out so you don't even know they are there until it is too late. Got to get them real early in the season.

Most of the damage in my area is being done by the Forest tent caterpillar, different than the tent caterpillar which you can identify by the tell tale nest. They come out first before the gypsy moth caterpillar. In case you are interested you tell the forest tent from the tent caterpillar because the forest tent has a series of white key-holed-shaped spots down the lenght of their backs. The regular tent caterpillar has a long straight white line down their backs. The gypsy moth caterpillar has starting from behind their head 5 rows of paired blue dots followed by 6 pairs of red dots. They all look some what similar. The winter moth is a green caterpillar. I know too much info.
I am glad I cleaned my gutters with all this rain only problem is now with clean gutters the water really flows into my flooded cellar.:smash: I guess no plug assembling today.:doh: Paul

vineyardblues
06-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Hey Paul,
Can you tell a male from a female ? Go out side and check between them legs :rotf3:

LOL
VB

ProfessorM
06-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Lol you basta&^%&$%$

Slingah
07-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Paul....what kills them....I just noticed the base of a dozen trees in my yard are thick with those things.....droppings all over the place but not much leave damage....should I leave them alone or wipe them out???

ProfessorM
07-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Hey bud I think they should be finishing up. I noticed a lot of them just sitting on the trunks of trees and dying. I think all this rain is killing a lot of them and also the trees end up producing a bacteria that kills them too, but not enough of them. I use Sevin in a hand pump sprayer. If the trees,shrubs are no higher than 10 feet you can spray yourself if they are higher you will have a hard time getting them. If you use Sevin use a respirator and wash up good. My trees are starting to put out new leaves and all this rain is good for them to recover as they get real stressed losing all their foliage. I would probably say the hell with it at this point, especially if they are not damaging the trees but get them ealier next year. Good luck. P.

Slingah
07-02-2006, 07:37 PM
thanks....I think that is the case...they are dying......you sure know alot about the pillers:bl:

ProfessorM
07-02-2006, 07:45 PM
I love gardening so you learn useless crap like that .That and 50 cents will get you a coffee. P.

striprman
07-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Driving down route 24 through Bridgewater and Taunton, looked like winter.