View Full Version : Eel skin storage

PaulS
06-07-2006, 09:54 AM
I have a few eel skins for eel skin plugs. What you do guys store them in? Kosher salt or some type of brine solution:huh: . Thanks!

MAC
06-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Kosher salt with some water to make a thin paste. Don't leave them in your basement refrigerator and forget about them though....:uhoh: Your wife will be pissed if you do. Trust me.:smash:

Backbeach Jake
06-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Kosher salt with some water to make a thin paste. Don't leave them in your basement refrigerator and forget about them though....:uhoh: Your wife will be pissed if you do. Trust me.:smash:
:hihi: And wait til she unwraps the deer tail you forgot:eek:

PaulS
06-07-2006, 11:02 AM
:thanks:

For some reason she refused to help me peel off the skin of one the other night and she's usually so helpfull:confused:

ProfessorM
06-07-2006, 11:48 AM
I have had skins in my fridge for 2 years now and still good . Need to add water to the salt every so often to keep it wet or they will dry out and be ruined. Make sure they are covered with the wet salt or any area that is not covered will also dry out. P.

piemma
06-07-2006, 11:57 AM
I bought a dozen from a tackle dealer in RI years ago. They were dried. I still have a couple left. The amazing thing is that I would use them. Leave them on the plug to dry and the next time I used them they were good as new after about 5 minutes in the water.

MAC
06-07-2006, 01:30 PM
:hihi: And wait til she unwraps the deer tail you forgot:eek:

I left a bear skull in there one year....:whackin: wrapped in a black garbage bag....:rotf2:

Backbeach Jake
06-07-2006, 04:07 PM
I left a bear skull in there one year....:whackin: wrapped in a black garbage bag....:rotf2:
Good Gawd! :whackin: I'd still have rolling pin scars!!:eek5: Still, I woulda paid to see THAT unveiling!:rotf2:

zimmy
06-08-2006, 11:56 AM

That reminds me. My grandparents were up to visit for mothers day and we picked up sandworms for my grandfather... that are still in the fridge. I gotta remember tonight cause if she finds them first :whackin:

Saltheart
06-08-2006, 12:47 PM
In the salt paste laid flat in a tupperware container in the fridge. I think laying them flat works better than all wrinkled up in a baggy. If they get dry , they tend to crack and with too many holes or tears , they don't work well.

JPowers
06-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Here's what I've discovered:

Skins stored in the salt/water paste tend to lose the black color after about 45 minutes of use - they turn a speckled/blotchy grey.

Skins stored dry ( salt only) maintain the black color longer - not much longer, but it's noticeable.

My experience: bass hit a dark black skin more often than the faded grey.

Backbeach Jake
06-08-2006, 03:59 PM
That is definitely worth knowing. Thanks.