View Full Version : Redlights?

steve
06-07-2006, 12:59 PM
In my 35 years of surf fishing after dark, I have never seen so many "redlights" as I have during the last two seasons.Why is everyone using them? As they are not as effective as regular necklights and they are not stealthy as they can be seen a mile away. Fish are in no way spooked by regular necklights, and regular necklights illuminate much better and are much safer with better visibility. With 58 bass over 40lbs in my 35 years of surf fishing I can say for sure the regular brite white light in no way hurts the fishing in any and all conditions I have fished. #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& and I are always asking each other what the fasination with these things are?? We used to use ( in the old days) rayovac headlamps with huge batteries on our belts! My first post and a hello to all.

Steve "Van Stall" McKenna

fishaholic18
06-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Because they look Cool.:rotf3:

Hi Steve, welcome to the site.:hihi:

crash
06-07-2006, 01:02 PM
I like them since they don't mess up my night vision.

BigFish
06-07-2006, 01:03 PM
I think mostly its to keep the other fishermen from killing you if you are a goog and your running all over the place shining your 200,000 candlepower spotlight on anything that moves. I use the redlight when I am fishing....its minimal light, enough to see what I need to see and not offend anyone else who is fishing and will not bother the fish. (I believe white light, if flashed across the water, will spook em...to each his own.);)

cheferson
06-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Doesnt kill your night vision.

Canalman
06-07-2006, 01:04 PM
I like them since they don't mess up my night vision.

Exactly :btu:

steve
06-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Never had a problem with the nightvision, for years there were great surfcasters who never used redlights.Its a fad I guess.

fcap60
06-07-2006, 01:06 PM
Steve:

Welcome aboard.

For many years I only used the brighter white lights, but I think the trend today is that red lights are more subtleon the eyes and when flashed on the water - they don't have the intensity to possibly scare fish away like the brighter, white lights do.

Many of the headband lights today come with white, bright white, and red colors. I can tell you that the red is much easier on the eyes when tying knots, changing plugs, etc.

just my .02

reelecstasy
06-07-2006, 01:06 PM
your eyes adjust more readily to the change as oppossed to bright white. So I don't see it as a fad, it is a fact it takes your eyes longer to adjust with the bright light on and off. Have you tried them? when i shut off the red I don't have that bright floating orb like I do with the bright...

reelecstasy
06-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Hi Steve, welcome

Clammer
Where did you get a F #$%^&*() computer ????????????

Glad ya had a good time ===keep ya f #$%^&8 mouth shut ><><.,

F #$%^&* the red lights --- I turn on the spotlight /light up the whole f $%^&*90 boat // its never ever made a negative difference // & few positives [maybe]]:walk:

Back Beach
Welcome Steve. I am one of the red light wearers you probably see out there. Actually, I never worried about the light spooking the fish either as it doesn't make a difference like you said. I purchased a light that would fit on my head and keep my hands free. Incidentally it has a flip up red filter. The white lights actually show up just as well as the red ones from a distance from what I can see.

steve
06-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Where did you get a F #$%^&*() computer ????????????

Glad ya had a good time ===keep ya f #$%^&8 mouth shut ><><.,

F #$%^&* the red lights --- I turn on the spotlight /light up the whole f $%^&*90 boat // its never ever made a negative difference // & few positives [maybe]]:walk:

Lips sealed, thank you so much for last night!

Mugz
06-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Back in the Navy, all passageways that led to the outside skin of the ship were all painted black and had redlights. After dark (darken ship), the red lights were used as to not allow the bright white lights . Bright white light was easier to see by passing ships and the red light allowed us to operate in Stealth Mode which is how all Navy ships operate at night.
By the way, my headlamp is white.

Raven
06-07-2006, 01:16 PM
redlites? those are members of S-B
4000 members and Growing....

Clammer
06-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Again ???????????

tides are right >><><><><><

JFigliuolo
06-07-2006, 01:21 PM
In my 35 years of surf fishing after dark, I have never seen so many "redlights" as I have during the last two seasons.Why is everyone using them? As they are not as effective as regular necklights and they are not stealthy as they can be seen a mile away. Fish are in no way spooked by regular necklights, and regular necklights illuminate much better and are much safer with better visibility. With 58 bass over 40lbs in my 35 years of surf fishing I can say for sure the regular brite white light in no way hurts the fishing in any and all conditions I have fished. #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& and I are always asking each other what the fasination with these things are?? We used to use ( in the old days) rayovac headlamps with huge batteries on our belts! My first post and a hello to all.

Steve "Van Stall" McKenna

Marketting... (yeah, I use one). Damn they'll let anyone in here! Welcome. So are you saying bright lights don't spook fish? (not provoking, seriously looking for your opinion.)

Parker650
06-07-2006, 01:22 PM
I believe it has been proven that red light does not travel very far in water, or at least not as far as white...if that is true, it makes sense since we typically only need it for terminal stuff and things going on directly in front of us...if it may allow me to score with 6 more fish per year and be easier on my eyes, I think it's worth it. Sure I don't look like La Sallette shrine out there, but I can easily get by...:)

steve
06-07-2006, 01:23 PM
For your info! Vlad evanoff an Infamous new york surf caster who fished everywhere from new york to the cape and islands, never used a necklight at all ! Imagine that....I would hope most here have heard of him...a true ledgend.

Point two, When we did the filiming for the OTW show there where tons of spotlights everyplace and the end result was a 40lb fish on camera and we had several others that never made the final edit! those fish were no less aggresive and not spooked at all.

riverrat2
06-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Whats the big deal if people do use redlights apposed to yellow. If anything the redlight helps with your nightvision and is a bit less in "In your face" than the white/yellow light.

reelecstasy
06-07-2006, 01:30 PM
I have heard of him, but personally it seems like a safety issue to not have a light with you, hell I carry 2. A head lamp and a neck light. I doubt it spooks fish, that isn't why I use the red, just easier on the eyes.
Bottom line, safety

steve
06-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Again ???????????

tides are right >><><><><><

Have to pass, I think my hands and bill's have turned to hamburger with the amount of cows we have caught the last couple of days. I will say I cant understand why more people are not using the 9inch rigged Sluggo! They wanted it so bad last night , they had the things swallowed ! Again thanks for the hospitality and putting us where the fish are. and thanks John for playing taxi driver. When my hands heal I will take you up on that offer soon! For such a rebel rouser you certainly know where the bass are in your neck of the woods!

riverrat2
06-07-2006, 01:36 PM
I don't understand the purpose of this topic, is it to debate the use of redlights or tell everyone how many cows you have caught.

MAC
06-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Never had a problem with the nightvision, for years there were great surfcasters who never used redlights.Its a fad I guess.

I wouldn't call it a fad. There must be something to it as the military has been using them in flashlights for many years. They told us why the lens was red but I forgot. Must be CRS setting in.

JohnR
06-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Red lights are used for several reasons:

It is easiest on the eyes and night vision which is why it is often used as backlighting on guages, lighting on ships, flash lights for military use.

Red also has a very long wavelength and is one of the first colors to dissipate in the water so we assume that it will penetrate the water the least...

Long time no see Steve...

Swimmer
06-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Sounds like #%^&$$*G Clammer and Steve have something going.:love:
Pretty soon guys will have a green light on one side then a red light on the other. That way depending on which side the the two different color lights are on a persons head when your looking at them in the dark you'll know which way there facing, port or starboard.:rotf2:

bobfishgerald
06-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Steve How fast do you retrieve the rigged 9" sluggo. I saw one of your presentations and I think I remember you saying retrieve to retrieve fast while kinda jerking the rod around. Is this right or has my red head light turned my mind to mush?

steve
06-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Fish the sluggo like a zarra spook and moderate to fast, almost like a popper but not slow.Let it sink a second or two and then start the popping action.You want to keep the sluggo under water and it jerks all over the place.You will have good luck with it! It will outfish any other artificial sold in the store.

NIB
06-07-2006, 02:14 PM
I thought this was about the hooker area of town.
hi Stevie.Welcome aboard.
Can't wait for the new article in OTW.
Being as i am from NJ.
I tried the red lights couldn't tell plug colors wit em.
I am not generally a fan of any light.

Redsoxticket
06-07-2006, 02:18 PM
White light is made up of the complete light spectrum. If you shine white light thru a crystal prism you will see the rainbow colors.
Red light will dissipate only because it is the only color that is there.

John, the opposite is true. The wavelenght is proportional to the frequency, in other words the longer the wavelength the lower the frequency. Higher frequencies (shorter wavelenghts) dissipate quickly in the water because the energy is absorbed by the water molecules. The longer wavellengths or lower frequencies do not dissipate in the water, that is why submarines use low frequencies.

Hi Steve and welcome aboard.

Pete F.
06-07-2006, 02:21 PM
When I was fishing last weekend I saw a lot of guys fishing with there lights on all the time. That would drive me nuts. I use a white light around my neck but usually only turn it on to tie knots, look in my bag or check for bluefish(usually I can tell but sometimes the spoooky dark makes me wonder). It does'nt seem to affect my nightvision much but I dont shine it in my eyes either. My necklight is'nt real bright so I carry a throwaway in my wader pocket to hold in my hand walking on rocks, that does hurt my night vision. Better that than a bad fall.
And welcome

Clammer
06-07-2006, 02:21 PM
I ain,t starting ==================== balls to the walls /take all prisoners in a couple of days .,.,

ya Steve & the clammer have something going =we both want the same woman =========== but she wants Steve =============LMF FIAH SMC :as:

JohnR
06-07-2006, 02:24 PM
White light is made up of the complete light spectrum. If you shine white light thru a crystal prism you will see the rainbow colors.
Red light will dissipate only because it is the only color that is there.

John, the opposite is true. The wavelenght is proportional to the frequency, in other words the longer the wavelength the lower the frequency. Higher frequencies (shorter wavelenghts) dissipate quickly in the water because the energy is absorbed by the water molecules. The longer wavellengths or lower frequencies do not dissipate in the water, that is why submarines use low frequencies.

Hi Steve and welcome aboard.

That's what I meant :tooth: Fequency Wavelength :huh:

kippy
06-07-2006, 02:26 PM
I began using a redlight but had trouble seeing the colors as well. Went back to white and havent had a problem..welcome Steve!:wave:

Clogston29
06-07-2006, 02:31 PM
White light around the neck for me. Started using redlights because everyone else was but I couldn’t find one that lasted for more than a handful of outings with out braking (Tekka or however you spell it sucks). I had a small Princeton Tech light that I carried as a backup that always worked, even after two years of being submerged in my plug bag while wading so that eventually made it around my neck. Haven’t noticed any differences except better color vision when looking through the plug bag.

Steve, thanks for the article in OTW about the sluggos last year. Made me realize I was fishing them too slow and they’ve been my top producer ever since. Got a 36# bass on the first cast I made with a sluggo the night I read the article.

steve
06-07-2006, 02:36 PM
White light around the neck for me. Started using redlights because everyone else was but I couldn’t find one that lasted for more than a handful of outings with out braking (Tekka or however you spell it sucks). I had a small Princeton Tech light that I carried as a backup that always worked, even after two years of being submerged in my plug bag while wading so that eventually made it around my neck. Haven’t noticed any differences except better color vision when looking through the plug bag.

Steve, thanks for the article in OTW about the sluggos last year. Made me realize I was fishing them too slow and they’ve been my top producer ever since. Got a 36# bass on the first cast I made with a sluggo the night I read the article.

Exellent! I carry almost nothing now but Sluggos, fish them right and you will never look back.

Slingah
06-07-2006, 02:37 PM
hi steve...welcome aboard

RIROCKHOUND
06-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Steve;
Welcome to the site...
Redlights for me... I started using them a few years after I started, I had a white light, it broke, I bought one with a combo light (red/white) and used the red alot more. I do use the white on more challanging terrain though, and my back-up is a very bright white light (for safety/signalling, whatever)

As far as the night vision thing, red makes a huge difference, come out with me on the tour boat some night when it is cloudy/foggy and no moon, night vision is key to watch for lobster pots etc.. everything on most boats at night is red for a reason....

likwid
06-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Green is also kind on the eyes

And illuminates things slightly better and you don't get the color distortion associated with red.

But no its not a fad, its pretty much fact that red dosen't murder your night vision.

shadow
06-07-2006, 03:03 PM
I like both and that is why I was using a light that had three light settings, the light was not cheep and I lost it two nights ago when I thought the chord was around my neck Igot on my rock shut the light off opened my mouth and good by :rocketem: everyone likes something different I agree the red helps w/ night vision,yet is hard to see colors.I'll spend a little more money for a good multi light.

ThrowingTimber
06-07-2006, 03:04 PM
red light doesnt mess up your night vision. So If I have to flash somethin quick I dont blind myself momentarily. I also dont have to cup my light to make it dimmer, being red its not really disturbing to others. Ive also got a standard yellow bulb, and a bright blue led I can use as well. I use them as appropriate. ..

Also red light if nesc, does not distrub others fishing around you, as you may inadvertantly swing the beam directly in their face if fish a breachway or soemthing where company is tight etc.

Welcome aboard Steve lots of good folks here.

Vic

Skitterpop
06-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Hi Steve,

Nice to see you here.

I have a Rayovac that has three lights.... one of which is red. I was nearly lost in the fog one night and couldn`t use my eyeglasses for there was too much moisture in the air.

Happened to click on the redlight setting and discovered for me that I could see into the fog much better.

So it came with the headlamp I bought and I like it.

Now lets see some of those cow pictures from yours and Bill`s excellent adventure please.

Mike

CANAL RAT
06-07-2006, 03:20 PM
carry a small red light for changing plugs baiting hooks ect.. and a high power white light for finding your way around on the rocks,wading a sandbar and finding your way back to the car

reelecstasy
06-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Rayovac from wally world, short money 3 settings red/dim white/ and a bright beam...

wheresmy50
06-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Red light is the most difficult color for people to see in low light. Green is the easiest.

That's why night vision goggles are green. They could make them any color. That's probably also why the lights on that navy ship were red. If it doesn't mess up your night vision, it's probably just because it doesn't look as bright.

However, since red is the most difficult color to see, it doesn't make any sense why you would want a red light to see with. It's just a marketing tool.

Welcome Steve. I stopped in the shop a few weeks ago to say hi, but you weren't around. Anyway, hi.

-Ty

partsjay
06-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Rayovac from wally world, short money 3 settings red/dim white/ and a bright beam

:uhuh:

Skitterpop
06-07-2006, 03:44 PM
However, since red is the most difficult color to see, it doesn't make any sense why you would want a red light to see with. It's just a marketing tool.
-Ty

Shine a bright white light directly into fog...then try the red light....I`m right about this and you are all wrong :hee:

Mike P
06-07-2006, 04:04 PM
I tried the red lens that Joe Lyons included with my Princeton Tech light. I find that it really doesn't shed enough light for me to safely unhook fish or tie knots. As long as you're not looking directly into the lens, white light shouldn't affect your night vision.

What I laugh at are the guys who use red lights and then fire up a smoke every 15-20 minutes. The flare from a lighter does more damage to your night vision than the indirect light from a flashlight--especially after the batteries wear down a little ;)

Last week on the Canal, there were two guys fishing the Cape side, mid Canal, right under a white navigation light, using red lenses--wtf was the point of that :confused:

piemma
06-07-2006, 04:19 PM
use to fish with Bobby Ward. Never had a light around his neck and I saw him run the rocks at Watch Hill one night in the fog with no light faster than any of us with. I'm old school and use a white dive light. been using it for years. As for spooking fish. The guys use to turn their headlights off when running the back but I never saw any difference with the number of fish we caught when someone went by with their lights on. look at the Canal. there are lights every hundred feet.

Steve K
06-07-2006, 04:34 PM
I have been using a red light for at least 5 years now and I cannot go back to a white light. I have much better depth perception with the red light versus a white led light and my eyes take a lot less time to adjust to the dark after turning it off.

tattoobob
06-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Well seeing that every thing I wanted to say has been said,

Welcome aboard Steve

cheferson
06-07-2006, 05:22 PM
Rayovac from wally world, short money 3 settings red/dim white/ and a bright beam...

:rotf2: :yak6:

Pt.JudeJoe
06-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Welcome to the site Steve!:kewl:

NarragansettBil
06-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Welcome, What the @#$% took so long for you to get here?

fishsmith
06-07-2006, 05:55 PM
its easy - SEX SELLS!!
Red Light district/red lights ... all subliminal messages.

Welcome to SB.com

RodnGun
06-07-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm a green light fan....specifically the streamlight stylus.....clips to my cap.....does not mess with night vision (only used when re-tying, changing plugs.....etc) and does not distort colors like red does. I don't think "white light" is a fish spooker.....I just got "hooked" on green for hunting.....and it works just as well while in the Yak or from the beach.

My 2 cents......from a brand new newbie to this site....which looks great by the way. Can't wait to dig into it even more!!

Goose
06-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Keeps my cover. Atleast your not seeing flashing light, you must be in the right spot.

Nebe
06-07-2006, 06:31 PM
I use a red light for 3 reasons..1 less loss of night vision, 2 when i am wading, the red light seems to iluminate the rocks under water better than a white light, 3 it is stealthy from a distance..

In the end though, its what your used to.

as for bass and light- Lights are a good thing, as it attracts baitfish, which attract bass. I do think that bass are spooked by the flash of a light turning on, but once the light is on, they dont care one bit.

ThrowingTimber
06-07-2006, 06:46 PM
welcome rod and gun the guy I hunt geese with is also big into the green led lights.

NIB
06-07-2006, 06:46 PM
All the sudden the consensus is that turning ur light on does not spook fish.It depends on where ur fishing.Fish the deep rocky shores of north Narragansett an u probably will have no problems fish the sandy beaches of the cape on a dark moon an I would bet it might be different.I was taught to keep the light use minimal.I will consider to do so no matter how many 40's u have.maybe u would have that many 50's if u used less light.Constant light is a different story.Dock lights, bridge lights,Street lamps all good they attract bait an make shadow lines perfect for a prowling striper.be sure to stay out of the light as not to cast a shadow on the water that will spook em I have seen it.

NarragansettBil
06-07-2006, 06:55 PM
No lights on my rock!

Redsoxticket
06-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Red light is the most difficult color for people to see in low light. Green is the easiest.

That's why night vision goggles are green. They could make them any color. That's probably also why the lights on that navy ship were red. If it doesn't mess up your night vision, it's probably just because it doesn't look as bright.

Welcome Steve. I stopped in the shop a few weeks ago to say hi, but you weren't around. Anyway, hi.

-Ty

When I see a state troopers with the lights on both the blue and red are just as bright to me. It all depends on the power, lens and cone.

Green night vision googles where probably first designed for the military. The display monitors for combat system and air traffic control displays were shades of green(monochrome) probably because it was determined to be the best color to resemble the grey scale along with less strain on the eyes due to its color properties. The green googles are a spin off to these inheirt properties

Karl F
06-08-2006, 07:26 AM
All the sudden the consensus is that turning ur light on does not spook fish.It depends on where ur fishing.Fish the deep rocky shores of north Narragansett an u probably will have no problems fish the sandy beaches of the cape on a dark moon an I would bet it might be different.I was taught to keep the light use minimal.I will consider to do so no matter how many 40's u have.maybe u would have that many 50's if u used less light.Constant light is a different story.Dock lights, bridge lights,Street lamps all good they attract bait an make shadow lines perfect for a prowling striper.be sure to stay out of the light as not to cast a shadow on the water that will spook em I have seen it.

The mind of NIB :claps: yes, the shallow sandy beaches of CC, with no cover, and miles of darkness, sudden light intrusion has a negative effect.
Constant low light, near the fish piers, or shore front establishements near the inlet, cove, estuary, bay, openings, no problem. Most of the backside of the cape has no light, no waterfront buildings, no shore front roads, so it is real dark. Other places have more light intrusion, and light is not as much of an issue, I am just speculating, but I think that NIB nailed it.

I carry a small handheld penlight, and have a head light, (don't wear it, just sling around neck) with the red, dimwhite, bright white, the 12.99 Ray-O-Vac.. yes, the red does not screw up the eyes adjutment to low light, as much as the white does. Try Real Hard to NOT use Any light.

Some people cuss at beach fires too.. I have no problem with the camp fires, it's fairly constant, and I've found if you fish the edges of the light it throws on the water.. well.. :D

But, again, I think NIB nailed it, different types of shore front, deep vs. shallow, rocky vs. sandy, built up vs. open... light will have different effects in different locales.

Also hate to use lights for the reason that some guys see the light, they come a crowding on over, thinkin your into fish. some locations, I guess your used to fishin a crowd... I'm not.

Also... Steve.. glad to see ya posting, finally, Welcome.

Skitterpop
06-08-2006, 07:33 AM
Also... Steve.. glad to see ya posting, finally, Welcome.

Is it Steve or another shape changing thing by Bill?

:hidin:

likwid
06-08-2006, 07:36 AM
More stuff to chew on:

Green or Red for Better Night Vision?

A red light has been the traditional choice for retaining your night vision since before WWII when the military settled on red as the best choice. Recently, there has been a move to green and blue-green light, precipitated in large part by the military's change to green, which itself has been primarily motivated by the increased use of night vision equipment. As it turns out, green light also offers some advantages over red as a means to retain night vision capability. However, it isn't cut and dried.

Total brightness, or illumination level, of the light has a potentially more significant effect on night vision retention than does the choice of red or green. Because your eyes are more receptive to green light, we gain better visual acuity at lower light levels than when using red light. Green also allows for differentiation between colors that red does not and the magenta used on aviation charts, for example, is readily readable under green light, not always the case with red.

Most of the race boats I'm on these days have switched to green nav station lights for this exact reason, you can actually read the freaking charts.... Also a green light in the plug bag for the plug bag only would work in this same instance.

Both reasons contribute to the fact that pilots and many others generally seem to prefer green over red, it simply makes it easier to see and read in the dark cockpit. The potential problem is with the actual illumination levels we use, not the color of the light. The brighter the light, the more negative impact on night vision, both in our capacity to see and in how long it takes to gain back optimum night vision. This is true regardless of whether it is red or green.

Ideally, you want to use only as bright a light, red or green, as is necessary to perform your chores and no more. However, if you have a brighter light than you actually need, a brighter green light will generally have a more negative effect than an equally bright red light. Green or blue-green has a greater capacity to adversely effect night vision because the eye is about 100 times more sensitive to these colors, so even moderately too bright light can have a serious deleterious effect.

Another complication is that individuals' visual acuity at low light levels varies quite a bit, so what would be perfect for one, might be too bright or too dim for another. In other words, without some means to vary intensity, odds are no light will be perfect. Bottom line is that red or green will both perform adequately, but what you really should be more concerned about is to avoid very high illumination levels, of either color, if retaining night vision acuity is your goal.

"uffah!!"
06-08-2006, 07:47 AM
Well, I'm from the old school. Red Lights mean there is some hanky-panky going on at that location!!!!!

Clammer
06-08-2006, 08:58 AM
STEVEY <><<><

I<LL TRADE YA //// A TRIP TO BASS WORLD:cheers: FOR A NITE WITH SHEILA :bounce: :bounce: :faga:

I KNOW BEING IRISH /YA MOTHER ALWAYS TOLD YA TO SHARE YOUR TOYS ;;; ::bshake: :bshake: :hidin:

spence
06-08-2006, 09:01 AM
Well, I'm from the old school. Red Lights mean there is some hanky-panky going on at that location!!!!!
Ohhhh...memories of Amsterdam :hee:

My light has a green bulb and I can't tell the diff from red...both work well for most tasks, although I don't think green helps with the plug color selection any more than red.

95% of the display lights in my car are red. It's great for night driving...

-spence

likwid
06-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Ohhhh...memories of Amsterdam :hee:

Don't you mean East B Street? :hihi:

jim sylvester
06-08-2006, 09:34 AM
red, blue,green, white, black purple,pink....

whatever the color keep them off to a bare minimum

Swimmer
06-08-2006, 11:02 AM
It is interesting that so much response has occured in regard to lights. Some of the responses are very well thought and contain much information. As far as what everyone said about the color red I wonder why red is popular because red is the first color in the sprectrum to dissipate under any stress. Meaning that if you placed many different colored lights in water and sank them red would be the first color to disappear. I would imagine the same to be true if in total darkness all of these same lights were set on something and when walking away from the lights red would be the first color you would lose sight of. So what makes red so effective close up?

dickmont
06-08-2006, 05:13 PM
First of all my eyes don't see anywhere near as well as they did 40 years ago or for that matter 30 or even 20, that sux. If I remember correctly when I was in the army nearly 40 years ago we were told that it took about 20 - 30 minutes for your night vision to be at it's best after being exposed to a bright light. So less bright = a quicker return to optimum vision. I need all the help I can get. I try to use the minimum amount necessary to tie a new knot or pick through my plug bag, it helps me to see better sooner which is comforting out there on the edge of the world in the dark. The other thing is that I believe, that the less visual presence I have out there, the better chance I have of tricking a nice fish into eating something that really isn't good for it to eat, so that I can eat it. For that reason I use a very dim red headlamp that I point down at my hands and that only when necessary. As far as when it's time to move or go I'm a white light man all the way. Neck light points to my feet and the head light points wherever I'm looking. Saftey first. As I said, I don't see as well as I uesd to and I HATE to fall down.

Welcome to the site Steve