View Full Version : EBAY WESTMARINE GRUMPAGE

vineyardblues
06-07-2006, 01:11 PM
On sat after fishing for 4 hrs in the rain ,my rain jacket leaked :crying:

Well I got on e-bay and was checking rain gear etc.
Found a nice jacket offered from "westmarine" on e-bay thought I would ask a seller a question like, do the pants come with it? Like in the picture ..lol
Well ,glad I did because they do not, Then I emailed them back asking if the have pants and if they "are" westmarine? They responded yes we have pants for $$$......
So I went to the westmarine web page found the same rain jacket and pants for 82.00 ,,,, Ebay scam "westmarine"
So I sent off another letter asking why it cost a lot more on ebay then on their web site.... Yup no response :conf:
They are trying to cheat people!
Lets just say Westmarine will not be getting of my money any more.

BUYER BEWARE
VB

Swimmer
06-07-2006, 01:49 PM
I don't think it gets any more expensive than West Marine!

ProfessorM
06-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Yeah the only way I buy at West is if I go in with a cheaper price I found on line and they match it. Easier to return something to them. P.

Uncle Matt
06-08-2006, 01:22 AM
Peter open the vault already. Share some of your money man......

I'll be heading to the Cape this weekend. I'll be on the boat and hitting the canal. Give me a call if you head down.

likwid
06-08-2006, 07:55 AM
Why would you get rain gear from ebay?
Everyone's sizes are different, even between models and years.

Swimmer
06-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Hey LIKWID, ever go into the Hitchcock Boat Yard store in S'west harbor and see thier prices? I'll bet you've been there.

Bigcat
06-08-2006, 11:18 AM
The West Marine in Falmouth has done right by me. last week I lost my mini 29 epirp.
My wife was on me to replace it because I fish alone most of the time and run a lot of miles.
I found a good price on line went into west yesterday and they matched the price saved me $60.00, last year did the same on a nice Icom handheld:kewl:

vineyardblues
06-08-2006, 11:31 AM
likwid:
to answer your question why e-bay for a rain gear! I get the xxl lard arse , I am sure they are all around the same size :smash:

My point was that they charge more on e-bay then at their stores or web -site ...... Just taking advange of people makes me :yak6:

VB

Pete_G
06-08-2006, 12:29 PM
likwid:
to answer your question why e-bay for a rain gear! I get the xxl lard arse , I am sure they are all around the same size :smash:

My point was that they charge more on e-bay then at their stores or web -site ...... Just taking advange of people makes me :yak6:

VB

I think a lot of companies maintain eBay stores now as much for visibility as anything else. We're starting ours up again in the near future for that reason. "SWEeBay"

You for example went to eBay first for foul weather gear.

I wouldn't doubt that the people maintaining the eBay store are somewhat disconnected from West Marine proper, resulting in price discrepancies. Not defending them by any means, just an observation. They could have even hired a company to maintain it.

It's funny though, I am starting to see eBay become the place NOT to get a bargain lately. People assume that eBay offers low prices and companies are starting to capitalize on that. Buyer beware, as always I guess.

spence
06-08-2006, 12:36 PM
It's funny though, I am starting to see eBay become the place NOT to get a bargain lately. People assume that eBay offers low prices and companies are starting to capitalize on that. Buyer beware, as always I guess.
Have to be patient or just get lucky.

What amazes me is how many items for for near retail, you could be buying from a real store with less risk.

-spence

likwid
06-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Hey LIKWID, ever go into the Hitchcock Boat Yard store in S'west harbor and see thier prices? I'll bet you've been there.

Been to southwest, just to the Hinckley and old Jarvis Newman yards though, never over to Hitchcock.

The problem you're going to find with GOOD QUALITY foul weather gear is most of it is price controlled.

Henry Lloyd, Gill, Musto, Gull, etc. all have locked prices. The lower end stuff usually isn't though. Get yourself a Defender catalogue and Boaters World catalogue and force em all to price match. :D

Swimmer
06-08-2006, 06:54 PM
I ment the Hinckley yard, Hitchcock ???where did that come from. I know your a sailman but I do love those picknickers.