View Full Version : Fist bass of my season

Van
05-06-2002, 07:44 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I fished saturday and sunday night and got
some nice schoolies to 26" from wolly beach.
Felt so good I just had to post it.

What a fight on 10 lb. line.
going again tonight !!!!
:) :) :) :) :)

Mr. Kav
05-06-2002, 07:56 AM
when do the herring start to ather in wallaston beach. i was in there by boat last year by the yacht clubs and it was loaded with herring.

Van
05-06-2002, 08:03 AM
I think they are in there already. Although i have never had luck getting them there.

What month did you hit them last season?

The area I fished was reported to show bass cause' they were chasing herring, and the bass sure were there.

I going out in the boat tomorrow, and if we have no luck with cod, I am going to hunt for herring for the freezer.

I'll let you know. :D

JohnR
05-06-2002, 08:09 AM
Mr K - there is no real herring run there but that's a good place that schools tend to reside after they've spawned in other places - especially up beyond the Yacht Clubs...

Van
05-06-2002, 08:21 AM
John:

What month do you think that will be?
i never tried to get bait there, but it sure is close for me.

Mr. Kav
05-06-2002, 08:54 AM
thanks john i think once i get the boat in the water i will take a ride over there to see if they are there.

JohnR
05-06-2002, 09:27 AM
Van - I don't think you can reach them without a boat. Those fish are also a hit or miss, they're there or the're not... Herring isn't the only thing in there from timt to time too. If I say anymore, someone might visit me @ night :eek: :D

Van
05-06-2002, 10:35 AM
John:

I know what you mean about others ;)

I do have a boat, but have not gone there for bait.

Other places have been my favorite spots. :D

Since the old days of massive schools of bait there, i have not been back to try. Since i live 1 mile from that area, I am always watching the water, but have seen nothing like it was before.

I will try some other tricks this year, in that spot and others,

Thanks.

Striper1
05-06-2002, 04:55 PM
Van I also got my first stripers of the year this weekend in the bay. Like john says that bait spot is after the spawn. There was no bait there last week.

Mr kav. I think they show up there after the docks go in.

Van if you go out go outside BIG schools of Herring and Macks. SABIKI RIGS RULE.

VAN the old days like when we had POGIES up here ?

I'm hope this is the year they come back to Quincy Bay.

Van
05-07-2002, 07:56 AM
Yes I did well on the macks with the sabikis around Boston light to Allerton, but when I tried for herring ---NOTHING-- I have not tried wolly beach for them, but i will this year.
And yes I was talking about the days when the blues pushed pogies onto wolly beach because there were so many. I could catch a couple of fish on my way to work in the morning and not be late. then again on my way home. (Good Old Days).