View Full Version : Hot Glue Flies

pmueller
06-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Wondering if anyone has successfull exerience tying with hot glue. Tried it a few times and end up getting no were.
Any tips would be appreciated.

baldwin
06-26-2006, 08:31 AM
Pete, I've also tried hot glue some years back, mostly on the heads and some flies shaped like sliders. Never used 'em much, not very impressive. Might take them tomorrow evening to throw to some little bluefish, though.

pmueller
06-26-2006, 03:14 PM
George thanks for the reply. Realize its not the best product around but substituting it for epoxy on fly heads helps keep a fly up in the water column. Tried this sruff and just can't get the hang of getting a decent head on the fly.

baldwin
06-27-2006, 09:02 AM
I've tried dipping my fingers in water and molding the head before it cools enough to set, but it never quite looks right. Those strings of glue leading to the glue gun from the fly are also a pain in the neck. You're right, though, about the glue increasing buoyancy, while the density of epoxy sinks the fly faster. If there was a way to use the glue gun tip to smooth out the glue after it was built up on the head, that would probably be the closest we could get.