View Full Version : Father's day report

schoolie monster
06-28-2006, 03:45 PM
a week later, anyway. This is the 5th year my dad has come up to fish around father's day. The weather wasn't always great, but the fishing was OK with us.

We fished this past Friday, Sunday and Monday... pretty hard despite plans to take it easy this year.

I grabbed a few eels for the friday fish... I wanted to have a good shot at some bigger bass. We drifted eels in a couple of my favorite areas and I got a 33" fish in the first minute. My dad followed with a 34"er a few minutes later. The bite slowed after that and we (meaning my dad) picked up two more decent fish at 33 and 36 inches.

We switched gears and starting throwing slugo's and ledgerunners at different rockpiles with lighter gear. At one point, my dad was up 11 to 1, before he made a smart@$$ remark and I got serious and nailed the next 5 fish to get back some respectability.

I marked some bait and sabiki'd up a few pollock.

I turned one of them into a 17lber... it was a cool bite as it did a jaws on my pollock for a couple minutes. This pollock was trying to
learn how to fly before the fish finally committed and whacked him.

Sunday was pretty much a downpour the whole day, but it was at least windy... we worked some plastic and flies in the rocks and caught about a dozen fish in a couple hours. Just one keeper at 32". I tried several areas for pollock with little luck. One bait. It was golden as my dad got the biggest fish of his life, around 26lbs. It was a great fish and I was really psyched for him. More excited than when I get a good fish.

Monday had rain, sun, rain then wind. Early it was actually too calm and the drift was crappy. We worked some eels with no action early after I hooked and lost a fish. We switched to light tackle and I tossed the flyrod for awhile. The fish were around, but we just had some followers. I checked some new areas for pollock and it paid off with a livewell full of good baits.

Right at the turn from slack to the drop, we both hooked up and had a double header. My dad's fish was almost 18lbs, mine was a fat 25lber. A good turnaround since we were skunked to that point. While I was perfecting the art of missing fish, my dad got two more keepers at 32-33". We each got a short to end the day.

My dad was pretty fired up. His biggest fish to this point was 35" and he beat that each day. We got 11 legal fish from 32-42" and each got a fish over 25#s. We also had some decent light tackle action mixed in. The bite was slow at times, but we worked at it and had a blast. And with the weather, we barely saw another boat in three days.

We got alot of good pictures... here are a few.

schoolie monster
06-28-2006, 03:46 PM
my dad with his biggest fish at the time, me with a 17#er

schoolie monster
06-28-2006, 03:48 PM
boston light in the rain and my dad's lunker... he looked pretty happy despite being soaked

schoolie monster
06-28-2006, 03:50 PM
I made a comeback monday, but for the most part, my dad kicked my butt... which is cool with me.

taJon
06-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Wow, those are some nice fish. Keep up the good work....:cheers: