View Full Version : Motor Oil for Truck

Carl
06-29-2006, 08:27 AM
I am wondering what all of you sand sled owners use for motor oil. I have a new Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 V-8. It's been a while since I have had a vehicle that has not had a high rev small engine. Any / all recommendations comments appreciated.

Thanks

MakoMike
06-29-2006, 09:38 AM
I have the 1999 version of the same truck and I've been using Valvoline 5W-30. Truck has 180,000 on it and no engine problems.
(knock on wood)

redneck24
06-29-2006, 04:49 PM
gm calls for 5-30

Backbeach Jake
06-30-2006, 05:32 AM
The correct weight will be printed right on your oil filler cap. Silverado?,Nice..

Carl
06-30-2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks folks,

It is definately 5W-30, but I was looking for more like which brands are better than others, and if synthetics are worth the money.

Pete_G
06-30-2006, 07:50 AM
I love the way my truck behaves on those really cold mornings in the winter, but other then that it's tough to quantify what else the synthetics I always use do for me. You can literally feel the difference the synthetic makes in some vehicles due to the fact its viscosity doesn't increase much at all even when it's extremely cold.

My first car was a 86 Toyota Camry that went over 200,000 tough miles on regular dino juice of no particular brand with zero engine work other then a timing belt and a water pump, so needless to say synthetics aren't necessary for a trouble free high mileage engine, but for sure they don't hurt.

Mobil 1 full synthetic is what I always use in my truck these days though.

partsjay
06-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Mobile 1....Valvoline...Rotella....just make sure you stay with a good brand...I don't like to use anything but what the factory recommends....unless you're having a problem and want to switch to a synthetic, I wouldn't...that's my .02 cents....but I'm a Ford guy.

Mike P
06-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks folks,

It is definately 5W-30, but I was looking for more like which brands are better than others, and if synthetics are worth the money.

Any brand that meets the minimum service requirements the manufacturer calls for. Don't get caught up in marketing hype about how, for example, "Pennsylvania grade" oil is better. All top brands are basically the same. Check your manual, and look for the label on the bottle that specifies the service requirements the oil meets. All good name brands will likely meet whatever the current highest requirements are.

MakoMike
06-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Any brand that meets the minimum service requirements the manufacturer calls for. Don't get caught up in marketing hype about how, for example, "Pennsylvania grade" oil is better. All top brands are basically the same. Check your manual, and look for the label on the bottle that specifies the service requirements the oil meets. All good name brands will likely meet whatever the current highest requirements are.

Generally true. But Quaker State brand did have a problem years ago, that ruined an engine in my truck. Took a lot of arguing and threats of lawsuits before they actually paid for the damage.

justplugit
06-30-2006, 07:31 PM
I love the way my truck behaves on those really cold mornings in the winter, but other then that it's tough to quantify what else the synthetics I always use do for me. You can literally feel the difference the synthetic makes in some vehicles due to the fact its viscosity doesn't increase much at all even when it's extremely cold.

Mobil 1 full synthetic is what I always use in my truck these days though.

I'm sold on Mobil 1 for the same reason with the addition of it's lack of break down from heat. They use it in the 767 jet engines as a lubricant and according to one of the major airline's employees change it every 100,000 hours.

More expensive than standard oil , but you can change it every 5-6000 miles instead of 3000, comes out about the same.