View Full Version : Boat Ramp Bluz

bluzjamer
07-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Hi all,
I got back into small trailer boating just this year. What a surprise, wanted to launch my boat at the Oakland beach ramp in Warwick.
This was on a Saturday July 1st. Ok I know it's a busy day. Waited about 30-40 minutes to launch. Seems a guy was working on his inflatable motor which wouldn't start. Ties up a ramp for almost 40 minutes. Ok out and about Greenwich Bay a little breezy but lots of Boat chop. Looked like Wal-Mart on Black Friday. Ok couple of hours I've had enough, back to the ramp. must be a dozen boats lined up waiting to go in. None will let a guy in to get his boat out. I did circles for 45 minutes in front of the ramp with the Harbor Master watching and doing nothing. I finally forced my way in bouncing hard off a piling with my wife and Grandson onboard. 5 minutes I was out. Are all ramps this bad? I'm thinking of selling the boat, I've never seen so many inconsiderate people in all my days of boating, (45 years).
Any thoughts.:behead:

missing link
07-02-2006, 07:03 AM
YO,
I know how you feel,especially launching on a holiday weekend.
ML

likwid
07-02-2006, 07:43 AM
Welcome to holidays.

blue oyster
07-02-2006, 09:10 AM
if i cannot get off the water by 10:30 am on weekends i wont go out, it drives me crazy some of the stupid things people do at the ramp , and the ramp manager just stands there and watches:wall:

zacs
07-02-2006, 09:27 AM
yep. holiday weekend, saturday, i would have expected no different.
If the ramps didn't get like that, I would trailer. But since they do, I have a slip.

eelman
07-02-2006, 09:39 AM
Check your PMs Bluz, I have a fishfinder thats brand new you may be interested in......

"uffah!!"
07-02-2006, 09:41 AM
yep. holiday weekend, saturday, i would have expected no different.
If the ramps didn't get like that, I would trailer. But since they do, I have a slip.

That is the reason I have a slip also! Besides, I can wash-off at the slip,and don't have to wait until I get home when all the stuff is dried to the boat and trailer.When it gets too crowded,I just open the Bimini and have a few cool ones in the shade!!

MrHunters
07-02-2006, 02:46 PM
I have two schools of thought on this one. Being an inexperinced trailerer a couple years ago, I tend to give some slack to the ones who can't put in on the first try.. that being said I have no patience for the people who don't understand what waiting your turn means...

I am surprised at how inconsiderate boating people are in general. Lobsterman in particular (no offense to any on here, if there are any) but it just seems they feel they own the ocean. Had a run in with two in less than an hour on Saturday...

sorry to get off topic a little but yes its bad up in Gloucester too.

likwid
07-02-2006, 02:53 PM
I am surprised at how inconsiderate boating people are in general. Lobsterman in particular (no offense to any on here, if there are any) but it just seems they feel they own the ocean. Had a run in with two in less than an hour on Saturday...

pleasures being inconsiderate: stupidity
comms being inconsiderate: trying to earn a buck usually, although i'll refrain from draggers offshore at night.

MrHunters
07-02-2006, 03:00 PM
i understand that they are trying to make money, effeciently as possible but there are some instantces where it is unavoidable and to wait a few seconds to get out of their way is not unreasonable.

If Im casting into some rocks an hes bombing in to where I am, give me a few seconds to secure my gear to get the f out the way.

likwid
07-02-2006, 03:04 PM
think they're bad.... don't get in the way of a lobster boat up in down east maine. :err:

MrHunters
07-02-2006, 03:15 PM
haha thanks for the tip

:behead:

UserRemoved1
07-02-2006, 03:57 PM
now you know why I don't fish on weekends anymore. I get the first spot on the ramp at 4:30-5 and see ya all WEEKDAY. I've had 5 days this year with no boats anywhere around me for a mile and all the fish to myself.

Last year I seen a guy in and old pickup launch his trailer off the end of the ramp at 5am and want me to pull him out. ya sure dood. Call a tow truck :sled:

Clammer
07-02-2006, 07:18 PM
slips are priceless// just by the time & aggravation you save :::::wiggle:

GBOUTDOORS
07-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Thats right Mike it only took you 2 hours to Cutty and it took me all of 30 min to get back to my trailer and then ten minutes to home guess I should get a slip. NOT and how about that cheep gas at the dock!!! I know get five or six 5gal jugs and lug it down to the boat NOT. I still love my trailer boat and all the fun you get to watch at the ramp:spin: But at the times I go and come there arn't many there anyway. Night time is the right time:wiggle:

Clammer
07-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Greg

two or 3 vetures at westport ramp or oakland beach & ya be singing a different song ;;;

also with a slip /I can go when ever / 5 minutes & in moving /// no traffic , no B/S /no neighbor blocking my driveway ..

BTW you know I could have towed to a boat ramp your way // but that was something I choose to do // & will do it again ;;

I left ya a message to call me =either tonight or tomorrow by noon // I need a favor ><><><>><<,.:lasso: :call:

bluzjamer
07-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Ok, anyone know of any pay to use ramps that aren't crowded on the west Bay side Warwick to Kingstown. How's Allens harbor, or Wickford?

"uffah!!"
07-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Poaug Marine on Arnold Neck Drive in Apponaug. The ramp is right next to Ray's Bait Shop. I believe the charge $7.50.

thefishingfreak
07-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Wanna see ramp antics?Get up to Cashman Park this weekend..... OR any summer weekend for that matter......

haha i'll second that. good place to put up a lawn chair and watch the boat ramp special olympics.
we spend 30 minutes helping launch everyone in front of us then 30 seconds launching ourself.
we figgure it's faster for everyone, if we help them get out the way than just sitting there and watching..
some people you just can't help though:wall:

thefishingfreak
07-03-2006, 02:23 PM
ohh and a tip for cashmans... if your quick there's a high tide ramp just a little west in the parking lot thats never used. no dock there...
launch your buddy on the boat and go park.. then have him pick you up at the dingy dock.

bing-bang-boom.
in
done
see-ya :bo:

thefishingfreak
07-03-2006, 02:28 PM
think they're bad.... don't get in the way of a lobster boat up in down east maine. :err:

better yet.... don't tie up to a maine lobster pot to jig bait and get caught :behead:

MrHunters
07-03-2006, 02:47 PM
better yet.... don't tie up to a maine lobster pot to jig bait and get caught :behead:

I don't know what you are talking about :hidin:

outnumbered
07-04-2006, 06:32 AM
Friends and family always wonder why I like working the weekends and having weekdays off. One time at the boat ramp on the weekend and they would know why.

likwid
07-04-2006, 06:40 AM
I don't know what you are talking about :hidin:

Duck and run forward to break loose while your buddy gets ready for WOT.

They're only warning shots. :eek:

Bob Senior
07-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Sometimes it's more fun to just watch the drama at the ramp!

Got behind two guys who found out, after they got their very old 25-30 foot walkaround's motors in the water, that the batteries were dead. Then they left the rig where it was and rigged a jumper cable from the truck's battery back to the boat's batteries.

Guess what happened???? They soon had dead truck and boat batteries, with the trailer in the water and truck stuck on the ramp.

The guy behind them offered to jump the truck battery with his boat battery on the condition that when they got the truck running they'd get out of the way.

It worked. All in all, about 1.5 hour delay.

EricW
07-04-2006, 09:28 PM
I was at the merrimack river a couple of summers ago and saw a real nice brand new bowrider type boat with a stern drive engine that just got towed out. Only trouble is that the lower end of the engine unit was literally hanging by a thread. Being new to the river, they hit a rock and tore it right off. Best part of all was the puzzled looks on the peoples faces when they pulled it out. My guess is that they were speeding through the river zig zagging and BAM. If you stay in the middle on that stretch of river you are fine. Just about Every boat I have seen on that river only seems to have 2 speeds idle and full throttle. Have to hit that river early in the season, before the crowds. There is some really good smallmouth fishing on it.

BuckShot
07-04-2006, 09:43 PM
A few years ago my friend was launching his 192 Wellcraft out of the Weymouth ramp. To speed up the process he removed the winch cable and safety hook. He started backing the boat down the ramp and found out why they call it a roller trailer. I went right off the trailer and landed on the ramp, to his surprise he only chipped the gel coat and a small ding in the out drive. The ramp manager said it happens about twice a year.

Goose
07-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Clammer don't know how to trailer boats.:laughs: Timeing is everything, quick and sneaky

angler management
07-06-2006, 01:11 PM
I have a good one, heading back into Rye and there was a boat drifting, Not sure if he needed any, I offered help,,
2 people on board husband and wife, He said Nope were good.
Busy day at the ramp, so I drifted waiting to get in,, and I see the same boat heading down,, wife hanging over the bow of this 18-20ft bow rider with a paddle. Guy,,, FISHING!
Motor died,, he had her paddle over the bow with him fishing! Now that is one loyal wife.
I had to laugh

bluzjamer
07-09-2006, 01:50 AM
Uffah,
Ponoag Marina at Rays isn't a bad ramp but you have to go a 1/4 mi. to park the trailer then walk back. I have a bum foot and that sucks, especially if your paying to use a ramp. E. Green. isn't too busy, but the stairs may kill me.