View Full Version : Epoxy

mikeguard01
07-02-2006, 11:25 PM
Well, coated the plugs with epoxy. The funny thing was the paint seemed to repel the epoxy leaving unfinished spots around the plug. I used sharpie markers on another one and sealed it with a light coat of Watco clear coat. The epoxy went on that plug with no problems. I wonder if the finish will hold on the other plugs the second coat went on okay.

Mike

justplugit
07-03-2006, 11:34 AM
More than a few things it could be:
Did ya measure the 2 parts exactly like the label.
Did ya mix it twice as long as they tell ya.
Did you use metalic paint as that can be a problem.
Did you apply it and exhale on it or run it over a propane flame to break the bubbles.
Did you apply it and dry in a humid free enviornment.Humid weather has been a bummer.

Those are the things you could
look at first.

Hope it helps.

Christian
07-03-2006, 11:41 AM
also, oil from your hands, on the plug. wipe with alcohol before epoxy, or dont touch the thing at all.

mikeguard01
07-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Thanks,

I will try all those things. I used a hair dryer for the heat it did help a little.

Mike

numbskull
07-03-2006, 05:19 PM
I had horrible trouble all winter with this same problem. Couple of things to try.

Don't use syringes to measure, some have silicone in them. Weighing works best. Mix for 5 minutes with a metal or plastic stirrer (wood absorbs the thinner component too much), then pour into a separate cup before using.
Don't handle the plugs without gloves or paper towel after painting
System three Clear coat is fussy stuff and adheres better to the Createx than to Krylon.
Don't try to brush epoxy on. Instead, flow/dab/layer it on thick, then hang/flip the plug every 5-10 minutes to let the excess drip off, before flaming out the bubbles and rotating the plug while it dries.
Don't rotate the plug too fast.. My 3rpm motor does better than my 18rpm motor
Keep the room warm and not too humid.
Pray...................Alot.
Take up a different hobby.
Hope this helps.

ProfessorM
07-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Applying it at a temp. at or over 72 degrees solved a lot of my problems this winter. I am waiting till humidity goes away till I epoxy any more this time of the year. Oh yeah crossing your fingers helps too. P.

mikeguard01
07-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks, did a small popper today had it hanging outside. I won't do that again. I guess being in the sun gave a slight yellow tint. I'm still going to use it. Tried a pencil popper out today had a couple of swirls but no takers. Since I had just got off work I figured I would give it a try. I only had one lure. I think I would have been better of with a swimmer.

Mike

afterhours
07-04-2006, 08:58 AM
mixture accuracy, mixing time, temp. and humidity control are the main factors imo. assuming you have a compatlble under finish void of hand oils.

Tagger
07-04-2006, 09:20 AM
You can't eat fried chicken, handle your plugs , then expect the epoxy to stick. doesn't work . I tried it .

Glove thing ,,good tip .. Exam gloves Non-powdered. On one hand, like Mike .

Measuring . Metal baking spoons work for me. then mix twice.. mix very well in one plastic drink cup, then pour into another and mix agin real good .. I cut the cups down shorter with scissors.

Humidity.. If its damp ,, go make another plug .. don't epoxy

Temp has to be up, I go 74,,bet 72 is good .. use a space heater for a boost in winter.

mikeguard01
07-04-2006, 12:48 PM
I cut plastic cups with sissors also. I hate when they try to split on you. Thanks for all the tips.

Mike

eastendlu
07-04-2006, 01:51 PM
I use plastic shot glasses to mix my epoxy in they work great and i throw away when done and they are clear so if you throw sparkle into the mix you can see if your mix is correct.

mikeguard01
07-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Plastic shot glasses now that's a good idea. I used a little sparkle last night and got it all over me. I got busted by my wife told her I was doing some other chore and had to confess with all that glitter on me.

Mike

Slipknot
07-05-2006, 09:17 AM
I have run into that problem before and the epoxy will peel off like skin on a banana. I'm pretty sure it's a problem of surface tension from spray paint like the metallics that give the epoxy NO bite to grab ahold of. There is some compatibility problem so a simple clearcoat sprayed on to give you something to scuff with a scotchbrite pad will help give the epoxy something to take hold of. That may be why the one you used some clear on went well.

good luck

Surf Hunter
07-05-2006, 03:29 PM
:wave: Howdy all, new to the board.
One suggestion if I may, i had the same problem when using metallics as well as finger prints do the amount of hand painting fine detail on our plugs. I found if you hit the plug with a light coat of spray fixative before you epoxy, it usually does the trick and you get nice even coating.

Hope to help,
Tom

eastendlu
07-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Hi Tom and welcome.:cheers: