View Full Version : Spheros line roller issue

basswipe
07-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Broke my Spheros 8000 down for its midseason cleaning and lubing.

Now I've taught people how take apart every variety of military small arms when I was in and took many apart myself and the number one rule is the lay the parts out in the order in which they were taken off.This way there can be no mistakes in re-assembly.I've taken this same philosaphy and applied it to reels which has allowed me to service my own reels successfully for years.

After putting my reel back together the line roller won't roll.The line roller assembly IS put back together the way its supposed to be,no missing parts.I even double checked with schematics.Its fully clean, free of contaminants and very lightly lubed.And yet it won't roll unless the screw that holds it all together is so loose to the point you know it shouldn't be that loose.The bearing itself spins like a hot knife thru butter.Everything works the way its supposed to until fully assembled.

Sorry about making my question into a novel but this is REALLY bothering me!

Christian
07-09-2006, 05:48 PM
im pretty sure you have it in backwards.
ive done it alot.
just pull out the line roller wheel and flip it, put it back in.

basswipe
07-09-2006, 06:19 PM
im pretty sure you have it in backwards.
ive done it alot.
just pull out the line roller wheel and flip it, put it back in.

Defenitely not backwards.Like I said I'm a little to schooled in taking things apart to let that happen and also checked several times to make sure that everything is installed right.

My best guess is over lubed?Under lubed?Some kind of contamination that I'm not seeing?

Either way today was a good day.

24!!!

Crow
07-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Check and see if the teeny little plastic bushing is in the housing where the roller seats. I had the same problem with a Stradic and the plastic ring was the culprit. Also I think the roller itself is different on each side and only turns on the proper side. Good luck, you can always send it to a 'pro':(

basswipe
07-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Crow,all I can think of is that the plastic bushing isn't sitting right but I've done this so many times I can't see what's different this time.

I'll **** with it after work tomorrow.

I'm done for tonight.2 Surfhogs cigared by bloos was enough for me to call it an evening.

leptar
07-10-2006, 07:09 AM
If you don't already have it.....

basswipe
07-10-2006, 03:35 PM
I just took it apart again and soaked/washed everthing in naphtha.Its fine now.It must've had some sort of contamination that I simply couldn't see or clean my usual way.

Crow
07-10-2006, 08:24 PM
:cheers: another mystery solved !