View Full Version : Tick grumpage

UserRemoved1
07-09-2006, 03:22 PM
I just weedwacked the whole yard and was sitting down cool off and I feel a tick on my inner thigh, grab it immediately but it had already bit me :wall: Wood tick so hopefully no lime, blood where he got me though so I circled it with a sharpie so I can watch it.

Mike P
07-09-2006, 06:25 PM
I just weedwacked the whole yard and was sitting down cool off and I feel a tick on my inner thigh, grab it immediately but it had already bit me :wall: Wood tick so hopefully no lime, blood where he got me though so I circled it with a sharpie so I can watch it.

Wood ticks are carrying Lyme now, but you should be OK. It takes them awhile after they're embedded to transmit the virus---I read it can take up to 24 hours.

UserRemoved1
07-09-2006, 06:36 PM
thanks Mike I heard that too, I actually got bit twice and one got blood so he got me good but he wasn't there for more than an hour and probably hadn't been biting for too long. I felt something and rubbed it and felt it, rubbed back again and realized what it was and immediately grabbed it way down as low as I could and piched it real tight and got it out as quick as I could. I'm going to watch it that's why I circled it. Sucker hurts too they bite hard.

Raven
07-09-2006, 11:25 PM
somethin about how the 'saliva" believe it or not, is how the disease is transmitted...is why it takes a while...so when you find them after they made contact it isnt an automatic thing as a result of the bite....
because i had one bite my neck one mornin and my neck ached like a s.o.b. like i was punched "hard" or karate chopped....and i wasn't infected. after removal it healed ok with no redness and or swelling.
the doc said two weeks it takes....following....so your prolly ok man.

MrHunters
07-10-2006, 09:03 AM
just remember you don't need the tell tale ring to be infected... it can show up as a rash, red mark, or nothing at all.

That being said you should be okie dokie. :)

There are WAY more ticks this year than past years... I don't remember having to worry about this at all when I was a kid.

stripersnipr
07-11-2006, 08:40 AM
No confirmation of this but I heard a tick needs to be on you for twenty four hours in order to ttransmit Lyme disease.

Diamond Tackle
07-11-2006, 09:44 AM
I pulled 2 off yesterday just doing regular yardwork. What I do if im not sure how long since they latched on is I pop them with my thumb fingernails, if NO blood when they pop, then your are probably ok, but still watch for that telltale red ring. If you know for a fact they just hitched a ride,because they have not latched on yet, you are definitely ok, i still pop them anyway just for the heck of it.

vineyardblues
07-11-2006, 02:15 PM
this said deer ticks hang up around 3 ft off the ground :nailem:

UserRemoved1
07-11-2006, 06:06 PM
vb those look bigger than deer ticks?

gone fishin
07-11-2006, 08:10 PM
Scott - a quick call to the Doc if you fell any of the symptoms. I went through a long period of recovery because I didn't think it got me a few years ago. Nasty little bastards aren't they.:zup:

UserRemoved1
07-12-2006, 04:43 AM
haven't felt anything yet, the bite is still slightly red though. I been watching it. Did I mention I hate ticks?

Raven
07-13-2006, 06:19 AM
with the pennyroyal oil...i bought...

i soaked an old leather shoe...shoe lace

in the 100% oil and tied it around my dogs neck

she generally is responsible for bringing them in...

and i havent seen any since.

MrHunters
07-13-2006, 07:32 AM
i wonder if the other dogs in the neighborhood made fun of your dog for having a show around its neck?? :)

whats that stuff smell like?

Raven
07-13-2006, 09:36 AM
a fatter string...

there is no neighborhood

i live at the end of a dead end road .... very private...

i only put the shoe-lace on her if were gonna be tr#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g in
tick areas....as its rather potent smelling

but not too bad...its a member of the mint family actually

so it smells like mint oil kinda.

it's not an insecticide smell like front line or
all the commercial tick repellant products...
for dogs....is why i bought it.
its not unpleasant.

The Dad Fisherman
07-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Usually Infection is caused when they Detach themselves from you. as part of the process they actually push out a bit of the blood they were feasting on. This gets in your system and that is what causes them to infect you.

The best way to remove them is to get a pair of tweezers, grab them by the head as close to the skin as you can and gently pull. Don't twist or turn just pull up and they will pop off.

Don't sqeeze them or Pop them as this can cause them to inject you w/ some of the blood they have been eating and infect you.

Swimmer
07-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Spread diazinon in the yard just like you are spreading Step 1 or two. Kills ticks or at the very least they boogie. Virus doesn't show up in blood tests if you contract the disease for about two weeks. If that tick bite is red Salty get a prescription for antibiotics dont wait. If you wait and get lyme treatment can take a long long time.

Jigman
07-13-2006, 11:32 AM
I sort of feel sorry for the tick that bit you. Couldn't have been that pleasent for it either :fishslap: :p

Yeah, I hate them things too. You should work outside sometime in areas that have them bad. Last field project I did I was pulling 100+ ticks off me each day. Most had not bitten me. The few that did left some nasty welts. Hate them things :yak:

Jigman