View Full Version : Let's exchange information

FLYFISHER
05-09-2002, 09:14 AM
Please excuse my venting and frustration on what this board has come to. I will probably take a lot of heat for this but I think this needs to be said.

For several weeks now the fish have started showing up and as a member of this board I posted, sent private messages and e-mail to members of this board requesting information on where a bouts of early hot spots and new locations as they are revealed. I and I’m sure others don’t need the exact spots you plant your feet, but a courtesy of at least responding. You don’t need to let the world know but at least respond to a members request. That’s why the private respond features have been built into this board.

What I am witnessing, is these discussions have turned into bragging rights.

When I joined this group I was amazed how open the members were in helping a new member by responding with private messages. I was given locations and advised of its restrictions of parking and not to violate them so that others may enjoy them in the future. In return I also exchanged and took some members to some of my hotspots.

I don’t see this anymore.

I have been fishing Rhode Island for only one year now and I am amazed what I have seen with right of ways being stolen from the public under the name of beach associations and residential establishments getting locals officials to prevent the public from parking and entering areas that belong to the general public. This has happen to the extent for example the Quanny Beach Association have a road block right across a public Rd paid for by the tax payers. The big meeting about the West Wall if it was not so well known the closing or restriction might have been pulled off.

Correct me if I am wrong, the waterfront belongs to the general public not private concerns it’s in the Rhode Island’s constitution. I was furious when one of the postings of locations got pulled to appease a senior member on this board. Yes I agree maybe this area was only accessible thru private property, But I wouldn’t bet on that. For those that had a chance to read that posting very prominent individuals lived in the vicinity I am willing to bet that a right of way is available but not made available to the public. Keep in mind every right of way that has been challenged has won in the state of Rhode Island.

As most of you, I belong to other discussion groups. One in particular is Ken Abrahams Striper Moon Bulletin Board. A few of us dedicated individuals have been looking into these right of ways it has been amazing how your right of ways are going to be and are taken away from you. In addition I and others have been involved in cleaning up your fishing hot spots, on a regular basis we have taken out over 30-40 very large bags of trash most not left by fisherman, regular household trash such as TV’s, refrigerators, lounge chairs, roofing etc. but very little fishing line. It woke my eyes up who is really trashing your right of ways in many cases, not the fisherman.

I live in the middle of Mass. Over 2hr drive each way to saltwater flyfish one day a week if that, I don’t have the luxury most of you guys have that live so close to the water. I live at the head waters of the Millers River which has some fine trout fishing sometimes. If anyone of you requested information I would not even think of not responding in fact I may even personally show were to fish.

The point I am getting at is if we don’t frequent and use areas but only keep the locations known to a small fraternity one day as we walk down to our favorite fishing hole it will be no longer accessible.

Also if all would pickup one piece of trash as we leave it would do wonders to help keep our areas looking clean so that it doesn’t give those who want to close access an excuse.

Again forgive me for my long winded venting, but I think this discussion group has lost focus of sharing information. At least I haven’t witnessed this.

So where are they biting?

Saltheart
05-09-2002, 10:17 AM
You make some good points Flyfisher. Lets go over them.

First , no one has sent me any emails or private messages that have been ignored. I don't know who you have asked but if you want a place to catch fish in the areas we know , John or I will tell you somewhere to go that is productive. No we won't tell you everywhere that is productive but we will send you somewhere to get a pull on the end of your line.

Next , people will share spots much better if you get together with them and fish. Come to the four legs. meet up and invite someone to you spot and when they know you , they will share more. If you a beginner , just say so and people will meet you and take you fishing. No they won't bring you to the best secret spot the first trip but eventually , they will get to know you and share spots.

next ,

Yes , I plead guilty to complaining about someone spilling the beans on a very private area. I had my reasons. By name , a former attorney general and the president of the largets bank in the state were mentioned. I'm all for fighting for access but think its dum to start the fight by pissing off these extremely influential people who already are good to the fisherman. Its just a question of determining what startegy allows the most people to fish the most areas. Its my opinion that sharing certain places by publishing them on the message board will mean people who fish certain spots will be banned rather than allowing new peole to share the spots. Write all you want about the state fishing areas like Deep hole or the Charlestown Breachway , but don't say that someones back yard is striper heaven.

I believe we should help to get everyone into fish when they ask. I do not believe we are under any obligation to tell all about every spot. There is a good reason why over the years , people have always said you must pay your dues. Real simple , suppose the bunch that got the URI Bay Campus closed to fishing read the post and decided to all relocate to the guys back yard. I garantee you the area would be closed in a week and you will need a good lawyer and $100K to fight these people over it.

Don't piss off the people who are already good to fisherman.

Another point I want to make is that you are mixing apples and oranges. You complain about your PM's getting ignored but then further down complain about public posting of spots. That's totally different. I think coutesy requires a response to a PM or email , even if the response is "I can't tell you but if you want to meet me I'll fish with you". However , Its up to every individual to weigh the pros and cons of the info they give up in private or on the boards.

I also want to clarify a point. I never asked anyone to remove a post about a spot where I thought access was in danger. I simply pointed out reasons why I thought the info was sensitive. Perhaps based on my opinion , the original poster decided to remove his post. I never pulled it and I never asked that it be pulled.

I also would add that maybe you need to give more before you get more. maybe you need to come to the four leg gatherings and make some friends face to face. Take a couple guys fishing.People get to know you and feel they can trust you , they will help you more.

That all said , I do agree with you that we (fisherman in general) should be more involved in publishing and protecting public access. I'm thrilled to hear someone else mention it. Everybody will jump on the fish conservation efforts but few will even bother reading about access. I post regularly on another board as everyone knows. I see a post about banning pogie boats and the thread gets 100 responses. I post about a concern for access and i get one response from the Anti Pogie boat Committeee saying yes we think access is important but we are busy trying to ban the pogie netting. I'm not critisizing the conservationists. I 'm just pointing out that access is also an important issue. Maybe you should have Ken come over here and post about what is being done about shore access and how the average fisheman can help.

Lastly , you show me any board where people are more helpful than here and I'll eat hat! (actually the hood on my sweatshirt) :)

Everybody draws the line somewhere. Smokey and I are as good as buddies can be. We share everything we have but there ain't no way we will share our girlfriends! :) You get the point! Everybody gets to decide just what they will share and what they won't. reciprocity is a universal principle of human behavior. Maybe you are just a little short on the giving side so far.

This is a very giving group of people and I'm surprised that because everybody doesn't give up everything , someone implies we are selfish.

Sorry if I rambled but just as a post being deleted pissed you off , someone implying that this great bunch of people are selfish got my dander up too.

Fisherwoman
05-09-2002, 10:37 AM
FLYFISHER,
I am sorry to hear that you feel this board is not providing information on fishing spots. This time of year, BC and I fish strickly the south side of cape cod as that is where the fish show up the most. Here are some locations to try, these are very public and well known spots, so get out your map book!!!! Buttermilk Bay, Shell Point in Onset, Weweanic River, Agawam River, Mattapoisette River, Cotuit Bay, Pomponessit Bay, Dowsers Beach, West Bay, East bay, Bass River, Chatam Light, Stage Harbor, Canal occasionally.

BC & I Have put in many, many hours of time on the water searching for fish. All we do is get out the map book and follow every street to the water that has a listing for town ways, ect. We look at alot of them at low tide to see if there is any structure there. Then we go and fish them to see if they are productive. We also try and give as much info as possible without totally giving away certain spots that DO NOT hold alot of fisherman. I have not received one private message from you asking me where the fish are, Had I received one I would have no problem putting you into fish.

Last year we had a mystery trip open to this board, many members came and found alot of new spots to try fishing and many of them have returned to those spots this year. I am trying to put another one together, and you are more than welcome to join us and any member of this board that wishes to come.

Please keep in mind as you rant and rave about people and access, that not all fishermen are bad, many of us on this board, pick up trash and never leave anything behind to hinder us from being able to access water points. Most public access spots are being taken away by weathly individuals who think they can make up any rules they want, that will never change!!!! As long as there is real estate to purchase along the water front.

I have met many members from this board and feel it is one of the best sites around for info. This time of year BC and I are very busy, so I hope you don't think we are bragging when we post, but it is usually after a long tiring day on the water and I am just trying to let people know there are fish around.

JohnR has put together a very good site and he should be proud, he has worked very hard. But you must remember that as this site growes it will be harder and harder for people to get back to EVERY question asked on the board!!!!!

BIGSWELL
05-09-2002, 11:22 AM
Fly,

I have to agree 100% with the reply from Salt. He makes some very valid and important points to say the least. Being an avid striper fisherman since my teen years, I have seen many good spots invaded by careless people who ruin it for everyone.

I am not saying you are one of those people but please be aware that most seasoned fisherman will not yield their spots to most people without knowing you. There isnt anyone on this board that would not tell you where a good place to fish is. I would be more than happy to provide you with locations but rest assured you will never get my favs without knowing you.

In addition to salt's comments, I support his statements that getting together with others online here is a great idea. As soon as you meet people in person, that can make all the difference in the world. Im sure there are many here that will accomodate you. Myself included.

Here is a good reason what happens when a good spot is ruined by what I call "weekend warriors" that have no respect or courtesy.

One of my all-time best spots is located in one of the more affluent neighborhoods near my house. For several years I fished there without one problem from the landowners who did not mind me trudging across their property in the middle of the night. As long as nobody was disturbed, no messes left behind, all was well.

One weekend, along came some jokers who in the course of 2 weekend mornings, cut off the access to everyone. It took me over a year of negotiations with the landowners to allow me back there again without fear of being locked up for trespassing.

Another location that is known by many people locally here is completley packed on weekend nights/mornings. As much as I love this place, I dare not got here on the weekend since the behavior of the individuals there is appalling (notice I did not call them fishermen)

This board by far is better than any out there as I have been in contact with several members that are forthcoming in information. I have also learned new techniques and skills by simply browsing messages.

In regard to boasting...If I land a 40# fish...everyone here will know all about it ASAP. Im not doing it to brag, but to show that my skills as a striper fisherman are real.

Good Luck and tight lines

flatts1
05-09-2002, 11:37 AM
I was going to point FLYFISHER to the post by E#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&. I think the title was something like "Some information you can really use" where he goes into great detail on where, when, and how to fish some of his spots. However I can't find it anymore. Is this the post that was removed? I hope not because that was probably the best post I saw on any board anywhere.

Was something added to it that made it too controversial? I apologize if I just overlooked it. I have trouble accessing some sites from work sometimes because my company's network caches web pages to the point where they become very stale (especially images). If it is still available then someone please point FLY to the link.

Best,
Mike

chris L
05-09-2002, 11:41 AM
I have to vent here .
vent vent vent that feels better .
Im really made cause no one except Slip has invited me over their houses . Whats the matter afraid I might eat all the food and drink all you beer . So where are all the secret spots ?
;) im only busting them FF ! Lets get together and fish .

Tattoo
05-09-2002, 11:42 AM
Chris,

You can come to Tattoo land, but we shave your head at the door......Just ask HAB.:laughs:

chris L
05-09-2002, 11:56 AM
Whats for dinner ?
I want a couple of the lures you make out of my hair , Sould be enough for everyone !
Dont forget all my pet bugs I keep in my hair .

Got Stripers
05-09-2002, 12:02 PM
I post open invites all the time and many guys have fished with me and by doing so have picked up some very helpful information. I've seen pressure ruin "the experience" at some small spots and by experience I mean some good fishing all by your lonesome. I've got no problem posting some information, but then again some spots others and I have spent years to find and learn, so we might have a problem given up too much information online. Like others have said, get out at fish the 4 legs and then start fishing with some of the members and you will find the spots.

Join MSBA and come to the monthly meeting, that's another alternative for meeting and fishing with some guys/gals. You do enough searching on this and other fishing boards and I'd guess you will find more spots than you could fish all year long.

The blues and bass are on the flats, in the rivers, in the harbors and ponds, get out and wet a line. If FW holds a mystery trip and opens it up to members, I'd jump on that opportunity.

JohnR
05-09-2002, 12:32 PM
FF & Everyone else (and this is not directed to any one individual)- a lot of what's above sums it up but I have a couple things to add...

This board has several main goals and has developed so far along those goals:

1) To provide friendly a place on the Web where people can go & talk fishing, meet up with people new to them and have a lot of fun. How many here have made solid friendships with people they have respect for - mutual respect that goes both ways. I can't tell you how many quality, stand up people I've met here that I never otherwise would have.

Again, a friendly place - a lot of boards have gotten into frequent who can pi$$ the furthest and until recently, that hasn't happened much here. (It's on the rise a little recently and would like to see that stopped ,please. Thanks for yer anticiapated cooperation ;) )

2) To help fight against one of the biggest problems facing anglers new & old - Education on best practices in relations to the fish. Education first and foremost on becoming a more responsible angler. Things like better release of a fish, gear & methods less likely to guthook and eventually kill a fish. Crushing barbs - that sort of thing. Education to help us as a group of anglers be a little more responsible about HOW we go after fish and how we leave them. I know I've learned a ton of good things here.

3) Education on how to fish. Methods and ideas that get all skill levels a little sharper. Education on how to make yourself a better angler. Info like go to this place on a dropping tide with this lure and this wind at this time is wonderful, but it really doesn't make you that better of an angler. I was lucky, I had some pretty good people, that put in a lot of time over the years fishing, show me a lot of sweet spots and how to do things but my FAVORITE has been taking the knowledge I've learned from them and other people here that have allowed me to FIND my OWN places to fish because now I'm beginning to know what to look for. Figuring out what to do based on conditions and what looks and smells fishy - and getting nice fish. That's VERY satisfying.

3) Protection of our resources - both fish & access. If the fish are gone, access doesn't mean much and if the access is gone, even more people will be pushed into too small areas that are too packed to begin with...

The biggest problem with the Internet has been to make things sometimes TOO easy. The Internet fishing sites should make us better anglers and allow us to have more fun and meet new people. It should also help us become more efficient.

The Internet also has a lot more people fishing their hooks and becoming more effective. The Internet now has more people fishing more spots. That, overall, can be BAD for the fish with more and more competent pressure from all anglers. The Internet has also burned spots too. I've ran into a fellow once at a secret location that said he was from PA and heard about the spot on the Internet (not here :hihi: ). I nearly crapped my pants :eek: because the spot can't simply handle the pressure and would be lost for sure iff too many people fished & trashed it.

Ooops, I'm digressing here... a little stir crazy at work (and I just finished playing Quake :gf:

In a nut shell, I believe this is one of the better, more accomodating boards around. There has been some bragging going on which happens more frequently in the spring and again n the fall. It always happens - doesn't matter if it's a club meeting, at the B&T, or online on a message board. The main purpose of this board is not to put people on to fish but to have fun and help make us better and more responsible anglers. Give and take of knowledge, including spots, is one of those ways we get better as a group. Spilling all the info on where to go does not.

I hope that wasn't too long winded or disjointed :smash:

GBOUTDOORS
05-09-2002, 01:12 PM
Well said now lets go fishing:happy: :happy:

schoolie monster
05-09-2002, 01:14 PM
I started this two hours ago, but was interupted, so I apologize if I say the same stuff all the others have... but..

Flyfisher,

I think you are out of line a bit here. As Saltheart said, its up to the individual to decide whether or not they reveal their favorite spots.

Folks here offer alot of advice regarding proper equipment, line, leaders, hooks, techniques, lures, baits, type of structure, etc. But you have no right to criticize people for not telling you their spots and giving you directions. You certainly can ask, but you should not be upset when people say no.

Remember, alot of people fish to enjoy getting away from crowds. You may say you wouldn't bring others, but people wouldn't know that for sure until they know you personally. In addition, some spots can only fish a few people or have private access or limited parking... there could be alot of factors which would make someone hesitant to tell others about a specific spot. If you expect people to give up their spots to you, you must expect them to give up their spots to anyone.

I'm a relative newcomer to striper fishing myself and didn't grow up in Mass. I moved up here after college and with a house, a family and a full time job, I also don't have alot of time to scout areas.

I not only don't know alot of spots, but also don't even know where alot of areas are or how to get to them. I've picked up a few spots here and there by reading local magazines, joining a few organized trips, but mostly from meeting people and developing friendships with a few of them. A few people on this board have been beyond nice to me and helped me get started. I don't think your approach would help develop such relationships.

As a life-long fisherman, I think that the "right to privacy" is one of the basic codes that we all live by and respect.

LINESIDES
05-09-2002, 02:21 PM
Great job everybody! My experience over the years has been that most people that are not in the know, would like it handed to them on a platter! All the information one needs to find fishing spots is to search the old records of site! As far as where they are biting, you are dealing with a fish that migrates. If I sent you an email from my truck that I am killing them right this minute, get your but down here! My best bet would be they would be gone in twenty minutes, at best. They very seldom hang around and feed for days. (I do clean up after my self.) I must tell you though I have never seen a fishing person litter. And if I did I would defiantly tell him what I thought of him, weather he wanted to hear it or not!
Later.:cool:

Joe
05-09-2002, 03:40 PM
Try behind the Ocean Mist on Matunuck Beach Road.
It is best to have a day or two of favorable wind before trying your luck there, so I don't know if this weekend will be a good bet or not.
I have info on fishing there, and at other legally accessible areas on my website:
www.surfcasting-rhodeisland.com
Good Luck - Joe:cool:

JohnR
05-09-2002, 03:51 PM
FlyFisher, also please don't take this as a bashing of any sort, just understand that out of all the info people give out - spots, especially GOOD spots, are the most reluctantly given. I think everyone here, myself included, would like to meet you at one of the legs and go out fishing. We really have a fantastic time when we get together. It's even better when the fish cooperate :laughs: ...

You may even be better posting a request for spots up on the board. You won't get the best spots until you've fished with some people and developed a raport with them. Rarely will one go untouched.

Looking forward to meet you and hope you can make one of the legs...

FLYFISHER
05-09-2002, 03:58 PM
Like I said I figured I would get a little heat, in addition I do not want this to turn into a debate; this is supposed to be fun.

So lets start off this is no means about painting with a broad brush, I am commenting about only those that don’t even read e-mails, private messages and requests from postings. After I posted and a few read it I immediately got confirmation I was not the only one who was frustrated on lack of response from private messaging.

John took time out of his busy schedule to answer me, thank you John, also those that followed thank you

First I am making assumptions that all on this board are aware of the private messages or e-mail functions this board has. The other thing this is a free country and if someone so chooses to not interact they are entitled to that, this does not mean it’s proper to ignore someone who needs help.

If you read my post carefully you will note that no way do I request anyone to give up the secret spots that will not take any pressure. But if the area is public, as I have seen referring to parking lots with people in it, I don’t see why a general description couldn’t be revealed privately when requested the whole world does not need to know.

I joined this group last year; let me rephrase my comments compared to last year I felt that people that are catching stripers have been less than revealing. In fact fisherwoman got me into my first stripers last year; I was fishing with a fellow from France who was used to catching grayling that were smaller than the herring we use for bait. What an experience thank you fisherwoman I never got to thank you for your help in locating the fishing area. I am not new to fishing the salt I had to take time off for over 10 years due to family commitments a lot changes happen mostly you forget besides I only knew Mass, I am trying to learn Rhode Island.

As for Salt, I have to agree with giving exact names and addresses were a bit too revealing, but a general description of the seacoast couldn’t hurt. Any fisherman worth their salt will find them eventually. As someone hit it on the head the weekend warriors can’t waste their time looking for some of these spots they are to busy destroying other areas and this is were we all have to be diligent in seeing we don’t lose those areas. I saw something this year on Goat Island I couldn’t believe with squid fishing. One side of the bridge is set aside for fishing the other side is for the pedestrians. The police has evacuated that bridge several times because people don’t play by the rules it’s posted and language is not the problem. I see this area being lost by those who ruin it for all.
By the way Salt hats don’t taste good.

Since I have been a member to this board I have contributed publicly or in private in fact I actually met with individuals of this board and fished with them I hope this qualifies for a face to face meeting even thou it may not be you. I hope to meet more of you as time permits; I would definitely want to know of any events that occur.

As John comments about this is suppose to be fun. In addition the board meets its goals for educational exchange. I also think its fun to catch fish otherwise why should we fish so now that the fish are hear let’s fish.

And last I think it was linesides who best describes how frustrating it can be for someone who does not have the knowledge of the early season migratory patterns of the striped bass in Rhode Island or able to spend enough time hunting them. I never ask for anything to be placed on a platter just a fair chance to start fishing on the correct side of the bay I think that matters in the early season until the fish settle down.

Since I am able to fish the early season in Rhode Island this year, correct me if I am wrong, I think the larger fish are migrating in different places as compared to the schoolies like at the West Wall. I am trying to establish a pattern on to what side of the bay the larger fish show up first. From what I am seeing I don’t think it’s the Point Judith side and it may not even be Rhode Island I am thinking maybe the Fall River area. Some one help me here?

As for Ken (www.stripermoon.com) and access I can not speak for him except that I support him in his efforts on trying to keep access open to all. One of his ways is for us to inform on fishing areas without hurting it. If more know about access this will make it harder for those who want to take our rights away, kind like what you don’t know will hurt you.

I hope this will be a banner year and I get to meet more from this board. Oh if I get that 40# you bet I’d be the first to post a picture.

Ed

Slipknot
05-09-2002, 04:30 PM
:confused:

I think I know one person that may not answer pm's and I don't blame him with some of the requests he gets.

FF, I'm sure you'll get over it. Fishing is supposed to be fun.

So Tattoo, when is the head shaving party? :D

chris L
05-09-2002, 05:15 PM
I have eyes in the back of my head ( remember cousin it ) and Ill be watching youse guys !

One thing :
I like scouting for places just as much as fishing them . If I find a new place to fish and catch no fish . Its still a great trip . Thats what I do in the winter look for new campgrounds and fishing access/places in the tri state area .

I just type so I can learn to read !

Jenn
05-09-2002, 08:36 PM
FF.......I wouldnt be so hard on people not responding to PMs and such.........there could be a variety of reasons why they do not respond....yes some good some bad......

anyway think of it this way.....how many times have you been out fishing an area with other fisherman around and said "hi" only to get nothing but a dirty look in response???????? Just a thought!

Jenn

P.S. the first thing I do after we park the truck (when on the beach) is walk around with a trash bag and pick up after all the A.-H.'s!!!!!!!!!!

STRIPER77
05-09-2002, 09:38 PM
Flyfisher---I think most replys here make valid points. But BY Far the most valid point is access and keeping it . Somewhere out there is a Rhode Island Sea Grant publication--Public Access To Beaches of Rhode Island (1993). I've tried without success to find it. It is very exact in describing points of access. Several have been "blocked" by private landowners. These would probably all be winnable in court(clubs and individuals could all chip in the bucks). But like others have brought up---When you bring alot of people to an area- what happens?? Not just the good (I realize people live here) crowd goes there, but the people we've seen really mess up other areas we care about. It's almost like a two edged sword. Open it up---and they'll close it down TIGHT. Leave it alone and some can get in there. Hey Buddy, I know it's not Fair (I'm more blue-collar than most) , but until someone comes up with The Perfect Solution?????????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Scotch Bonnet
05-09-2002, 09:46 PM
Sorry!!!

nor-easter
05-09-2002, 10:35 PM
I have finally gotten launched for the 2002 season.
We will spend a few days getting the bugs out and locating the fish. We will then post results of trips we go on.
Want to be the subject of one of my posts? Contact us through the address in our profile or a private message.
We have started work on our web site.
Check out www.nor-easter.com
It will get better!

JohnR
05-10-2002, 07:35 AM
Hey come on ;) - lighten up everyone. I think this is an example of a spiraling thread plodding on to nowhereland.

A lot of good points have been brought up by all as well as some ribbing.

FF - I don't think you're necessarily wrong in what your asking nor do I think people are obliged to answer every call or PM. I get a ton of PMs and there are still a couple PMs and e-mails in the last few days that I've yet to get to. It happens. An ack would be nice to everything but it doesn't always happen for many different reasons.

We've discussed all the access and parking issues and I really think if you ask nicely on the forum itself, you're more likely to get a response that will be good - perhaps not exactly what you are looking for but a good response nonetheless...

Also by the fact that you've PM'd people for this info, you're probably bypassing the response you are looking for from other people that posses the info you want...

Chet - I think it's time for you to become an official sponsor of the site :D

Fisherwoman
05-10-2002, 08:09 AM
FF, any time I can help, I will do so. If people respond to an issue or subjects that pretty much have the same idea's or opinions I do, I just don't repeat what has been said. I am glad I was able to help you out last year and if you want to know whats going on drop me a line. Life is too short boys and Girls!!!

So shut up and fish!!!!!!

Heading south, will let ya all know what's happening when I get back. BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!

?????? IS that bluefish I smell??????? HMMMMMMMMMMM time will tell.

JohnR
05-10-2002, 08:29 AM
Almost forgot - Joe, welcome aboard!

I've read some of your articles and have enjoyed them... Good luck with the guide service.

Joe
05-10-2002, 11:07 AM
Thanks John – Actually, I’ve been lurking for a long time. This is a good site with a lot of information. There seems to be a positive atmosphere here, and a good rapport among the regular posters. This is just year-one with guiding, so we’ll see how it goes. I don’t have that many clients yet.
All the places I plan on guiding people to are public spots, with no access restrictions. In a general sense, between the message boards, guidebooks, fishing guides and magazines there are a lot more ways for an angler to gain knowledge and new experiences – far more than even as late as 10 years ago. For me, learning to read the water, understand the tides, and becoming adept at night fishing were, and remain, far more important than any particular place.
Keep up the good work!
Get fishing tips and other fishy stuff…visit
www.surfcasting-rhodeisland.com