View Full Version : Cape Cod Eagle

The Iceman 6
07-11-2006, 08:03 AM
Was fishing the back beaches of Cape Cod last week.....It was July 4th....Sunrise session....about 4 am was getting into 4-6 pound blues pretty good....about 4 feet over my head I see this huge Eagle gliding by....was a great sight....on July 4th no less...Didn't really think anything of it...UNTIL I catch another bluefish and bring it out of the surfline...take out my pliers to get the trebles out when the bluefish gets loose on the sand...great, don't have to deal with taking it off my popper...WHEN all of a sudden the Eagle comes out of freakin' nowhere and clips my whole shoulder and arm and swoons down literally 2 feet in front of me and captures the blue...razor sharp claws just tear the blue up...Eagle sits there for a second or two....looks at me like hey buddy this is my beach...no fear....and flies off with the bluefish in his grip....When the Eagle clips me....I scream like a little school girl....jump up and down...minor freak out (maybe major?)...it was was surreal...I was astonished....Next morning I return and there he is again...pretty much the same place....didn't get any blues that morning but sacrificed an eel to Mr. Eagle...next morning same thing...he flew right down to the surf line and was just waiting for me to catch another bluefish....took some pictures which I'll send later (didn't come up that good unfor. as it was dusk and of course when I got really close to it my battery went dead)....this Eagle had no fear of man....Great fishing sessions with the Eagle...

Ice

Pt.JudeJoe
07-11-2006, 08:16 AM
:kewl: Very cool story.

MrHunters
07-11-2006, 08:44 AM
i've only seen a bald eagle once not in captivity.. and it is amazing... To actually "hang out" with one brings it to a whole other level.
cool story... to bad no one got the minor/major freak out on camera...could have been worht money :)

Swimmer
07-11-2006, 09:15 AM
cOOL.

The Iceman 6
07-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Pic

Back Beach
07-11-2006, 01:22 PM
I wonder if he likes plovers.

chris L
07-11-2006, 02:37 PM
such a magnificent bird . I see them attack trout on the farmington and housey on occasion .

MrHunters
07-11-2006, 02:51 PM
arnet they like sea gulls in Alaska?

Katie
07-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Thats cool.. made me laugh :)

Slingah
07-11-2006, 04:44 PM
wow...that is a great story....amazing it came that close

protty31
07-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Truly awesome experience I bet::shocked: That must have so cool:hidin:

basswipe
07-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Consider yourself blessed.Seroiusly.There is no greater honor that can be bestowed upon an American than to have such an upclose and personal encounter with a Bald Eagle.

clambelly
07-11-2006, 05:31 PM
they may not be that common a sight around these parts, but i heard recently that they will be taken off the protected species list and considered fully recovered.

congrats to the eagle. a truely great american image.

gone fishin
07-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Eagles are making a strong comeback. There are plenty nesting at Plum Island and there is a resident eagle at Sandy Neck. I will bet he has a mate also. One of their favorite foods is PLOVERS. I agree that they are a majestic bird and welcome their return to the area. Another bird making a recovery is the Ospry. There is a family of Osprys on Plum Island and when they are hunting in the morning they are something to see. The wingspan is awsome.

To have a close encounter with that bird must have given you a racing stripe in your shorts.:bshake:

RoyL
07-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Great story man

Raven
07-11-2006, 09:49 PM
you better have lithium batteries

using the regular kind doesnt cut it...

great story....

The Iceman 6
07-12-2006, 08:10 AM
It was pretty awesome. Like I said, I went back and saw him the next two nights/mornings even though I knew I prob. wouldn't get any more fish. Funny, the Eagle was situated right were the stakes were up and ropes barracaded for the Plovers..Thing is, I didn't hear or see any plovers.....

Ice