View Full Version : Is iw worth keeping older Penn big game reels

Mr. Sandman
07-11-2006, 10:57 AM
like the 10/0 senators? I have several of these that belonged to my dad. I have no need for them and while they are an perfect working order and in the original boxes they are more of a conversation piece then a practical reel anymore. My am torn between keeping them as a nick-nac item on a shelf in the den or selling them on Ebay and getting more practical gear.

What would you guys do with them?

vineyardblues
07-11-2006, 11:04 AM
KEEP THEM :cheers:
But that's me

vb

MrHunters
07-11-2006, 11:09 AM
wierd that you ask that right now since im trying to recondition an older 4/0 Senator... people have said it is a great reel so I think putting in the time to get it back up to condition is worth it.

what does the 4/0 or 10/0 reference?

Mr. Sandman
07-11-2006, 11:33 AM
4/0 6/0 8/0 10/0 16/0....etc is the size. 10/0 is pretty big. They were good reels in their day and still are for fish like shark. The newer equipment has made these obsolete. The old drags really can't take a big run of a large tuna although I remember as a boy landing 100# class fish on them with my dad and uncle off Montauk (not that I catch that many each season anymore)
After posting this I went up to the fishing attic and took them out of the box and placed them on my fishing bookcase among all the books...they look great there. I am sure they will trigger lots of stories. After holding them I think I will keep them where they are just for sentimental reasons. Cranking the handle you get the feeling you are Capt Quint in the famous "Jaws" scene when they focus on the same reel with the loud CLICK CLICK CLICK....:). The line on there is a heavy dacron...the "braid" of the day.

likwid
07-11-2006, 12:11 PM
I'd kill to find a 10/0 in decent shape to clean up. :kewl: