View Full Version : trailer lights...any opinions???

riverrat71
07-12-2006, 07:29 PM
i had a good set of trialer lights with regular bulbs till i hit the salt now they r toast....i went to walmart and noticed the same set for liek 30 bucks and they said "submersible"...yeah right...now i ahve been told go with led...well walmart has led "subersible" which run about 48 bucks....i also went to the local marine store which had led "waterproof -sealed" for 77 bucks...any suggestions which might be the good buy ??? thnx rr

outnumbered
07-12-2006, 07:48 PM
If you dunk your trailer as much as I do every year then just go with the cheap set and replace them every two years. If you don't want to do that then IMO I would get the LED's.

NEXT2NUN
07-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Benney's $6.99 each.. If you take them apart and grease the bulb and socket it should last a season. Or mount them up high on top of fenders or guide posts so they stay dry.

BEETLE
07-12-2006, 08:12 PM
I had good luck with the Wesbars. The light capsule is sealed pretty good. Still grease elec. contact points and (lightly) silicone seal lenses to keep water intrusion to a minimum.
Also recommended practice to unplug lights when dunking trailer, but half the time you forget to do...

ktugboat42
07-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Go with the removable lights. As you're taking off the straps and putting in the stern plug, you take the lights off the boat. They'll last forever.

Gotofish
07-13-2006, 07:04 AM
Mount cheapies on top of your guide posts like Next2nun says. They'll never get wet (dunked) and should last forever.

Roger
07-13-2006, 07:30 AM
I get the $30 set and they easily last 4-5 years. My last set was still good after 8 years when I sold the rig. Corrosion usually happens at the bulb socket and the ground wire connection. I grease the sockets with dielectric grease. The ground wire gets a waterproof connection (stops the water from wicking up the wire).

Also, I never disconnect the lights when launching. That never made sense to me. I think it was a carryover from when the actual bulb and socket would be submersed in salt water.

blaruffa
07-13-2006, 07:51 AM
For reliability I would go with the sealed LED's They draw considerably less power from the car, they don't get hot and are much brighter and quicker to light up, always a benefit for safety.

JeffH
07-13-2006, 08:10 AM
What Beetle said, I have had great luck with the Wesbars. Never unplug, just dunk it. I have replaced two of the sealed replacement bulbs in 6 years. I'll replace with LED when it's time.

Bigcat
07-13-2006, 08:18 AM
I use the cheep bell type lights about 10.00 a light. I went with the LED for two seasons and they were a pain in the butt. when they crap out I just chop them off and replace them.
If you install the LED do not tighten them very tight, just snug them up or you will crack them and they will fill with water.
I like the LED for side markers.

riverrat71
07-14-2006, 11:22 AM
hey thanks all for your inputs...think i will go with the regular type bulbs...save some dough...and just grease em' real good with some dielectric grease...thnx...safe and fun boating to u all :wiggle:

Swimmer
07-14-2006, 12:35 PM
I used to have a setup that essentially was secured across the stern by bungee cords. It was made of wood and I had mounted the lights on it. When you are arrive at ramp take them off and put in truck. When you pull boat out put them back on. My lights lasted until I sold that last boat.