View Full Version : Brake Grumpage

Swimmer
07-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Just had to have a brake job at 39,000 miles, which isn't unusual. Because of the salt water and sand I had to replace both rear hubs and most of the parts inside the hub, and the front calipers. What shoud have been a relatively minor job, at todays prices, ended up costing beacoup dinero. Any suggestions on how to fight off the salt. I wash and rinse the wheels already. Would anyone reccomend taking the hubs off and cleaning the shoes and other gear after say an extended trip to the vineyard where I pretty much spend ten days on the beach.

Slingah
07-15-2006, 11:18 AM
I just had a COMPLETE brake job front and back on my 03 Silverado.......wife had rears done 2 mos ago and fronts done today on 03 Honda Accord........talk about a kick in the trousers......I could not believe the cost......hope that is it for a while:smash:

partsjay
07-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Unfortunatly Swimmer....it's not all that uncommon for all the rear brake springs and all that garb. to go....especially if it's your sand sled...all you can do is wash it like your doing......if your really rambunctious...you can take your rear hubs off and clean it....but all the springs, clips and other stuff used for your brakes and e-brakes is usually junk after a while.....and as a parts guy, I know exactly what you mean by alot of money....parts are very expensive for some vehicles. Jay

PS...you probably know this, but just in case, water and grease don't mix....so if you see grease- re-grease it...or clean it with parts cleaner, and then re-grease it.

Swimmer
07-16-2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks partsjay for the advice. I think after the vineyard trip this year I'll pop everything off and brakeclean the chit out of everything and then grease.

sok
07-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Quote:Just had to have a brake job at 39,000 miles, which isn't unusual. Because of the salt water and sand I had to replace both rear hubs and most of the parts inside the hub, and the front calipers. What shoud have been a relatively minor job, at todays prices, ended up costing beacoup dinero. Any suggestions on how to fight off the salt. I wash and rinse the wheels already. Would anyone reccomend taking the hubs off and cleaning the shoes and other gear after say an extended trip to the vineyard where I pretty much spend ten days on the beach.

Hubs or drums?
Big difference.
Rear (and front) hubs should be sealed. Period.
Drums, shoes & all the springs are exposed.
Very easy to replace once you try it. They charge you more for the labor than anything else. Calipers & pads are even easier. Two bolts & a brake line. Don't let any dealer or garage fool you. Brakes haven't changed in a very long time. New sensors for the hydraulics but the
mechanical parts at the wheels are basically unchanged.
Rotors and drums do not have to be replaced unless they're scored.
Calipers and cylinders unless they are frozen.

nightfighter
07-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Drums and rotors are now made to such precise increments that they don't even allow room for a cut. Two brothers who do my work, and are fishing buds, said today that they haven't used their lathe to do a cut in years. The kits are now also packaged with rotors, drums and pads. And they end up rusting out from the inside anyway.... so that if you had room for a cut, you would rather just put new drums and rotors on after seeing the backside.......

sok
07-24-2006, 09:41 PM
That's why every time I had to do a brake job for me I replaced everything. Replacement brake parts for most American vehicles are relatively cheap. Full size Ford truck- $45 per rotor.
They would have charged me $15 each to turn them.
$60 plus pads for brand new brakes. I had to pay for the pads anyway.
It's my life.
More precise in the manufacturing process.
Yes.
But 100 year old technology.(Maybe 75)
Brakes are brakes are brakes.
And everything rusts eventually. Welcome to New England.