View Full Version : Calcutta Repair

Roseneath
07-15-2006, 11:32 PM
My Calcutta's anti-reverse is not so "anti" anymore. Is there a quick fix or a Rhode Island shop that will repair a calcutta?

The reel is still fishable, but requires extra attention when trying to land big fish... thankfully the extra attention paid off.

JohnR
07-16-2006, 07:36 AM
If you can wait a while, send it to shimano. Otherwise go to Buckos in Fall River....

eelman
07-16-2006, 07:37 AM
Quaker lane repairs Calcuttas.........

Mike P
07-16-2006, 07:58 AM
You might just have some grease or oil in the anti-reverse bearing. Sometimes that can cause it to slip.

The bearing is stainless steel needles set in plastic, and the plastic has been known to crack from time to time. If a cleaning doesn't fix it you may need a new bearing.

Roseneath
07-16-2006, 10:06 AM
It was slipping a few weeks ago, but last night it completely went. I guess I should have seen this coming:rocketem:

I'll take a look at the bearing this afternoon.

numbskull
07-16-2006, 10:06 AM
You might just have some grease or oil in the anti-reverse bearing. Sometimes that can cause it to slip.

The bearing is stainless steel needles set in plastic, and the plastic has been known to crack from time to time. If a cleaning doesn't fix it you may need a new bearing.

Bucko's has the bearing. About $18 as I recall. Takes about 2 minutes to change it. It is a press fit into the right side cover plate.

Roseneath
07-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Four years of chemical engineering - passed

Dismantle and repair reel - failed (miserably)

I cleaned the anti-reverse bearing, which helped a little, but I lost the main bearing as I was moving everything from the garage to inside the house, I wasn't paying attention and it must have fallen out. And on top of that, the shaft is not engaging the spool.:skulz:

I brought the reel to the SWE and they are sending it to Shimano.

Now I have to come up with a back-up plan for the next few weeks. I'd like another Calcutta, but I also wouldn't mind getting a spinning set-up for when my father is in town... either way its going to cost some coin to get me through the next few weeks.

Another option is to ride it out, but I think I would have significant withdrawls... the winter is bad enough, and there aren't even fish around (besides holdovers).

steve
07-17-2006, 04:23 AM
Roseneath- be prepared to wait. Shimano is SLOW!

steve
07-17-2006, 04:27 AM
Roseneath- If you need a spinning outfit, I have a penn 6500ss and a 9foot rod sitting in my basement doing nothing. Call me at Quaker lane if you want to use it, all season if you would like.

bobber
07-17-2006, 08:29 AM
sent my Calcutta400 back to Shimano in early June- was later told I won't see it back to Till September, or maybe even October.......... they quoted me 12 weeks (or more) waiting time:smash:

Roseneath
07-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks Steve - I'm working on locating a replacement now, but if it falls through I may give you a ring. Thanks again for the offer.

What is the story with Shimano?

Roseneath
07-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Any recommendations on a new Calcutta? CT400B, CTE400, or a 700 paired with a 10'6" GLommis?

Also, does anyone have these in stock?